Author Topic: Resupply: Gaming the Game?  (Read 165 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Resupply: Gaming the Game?
« on: February 04, 2002, 03:46:20 PM »
OK.  Yesterday afternoon, rooks were outnumbered as usual and were being attacked at 52 and 53 in the NE corner of the NDIsles map.  The attack on 53 was primarily in the form of buffs which were porking the field so that planes couldnt take off and defend 52.

Seeing this, I figured I would up from 9 in a Goon with supplies and resupply 53.  Aproaching 53, I see a smoking field with explosions going on around it and drop supplies.  As expected, some of the damaged buildings are repaired.  Since there were no enemy fighters around, I landed and rearmed on the hotpad then launched, grabbed 1k and dropped the supplies just to see if they would actually repair the field.  

Sure enough, more damage was repaired.  I continued this until I finally got shot down by an enemy fighter (about 5 resupplys later :) )

Now, I dont think this should be a viable tactic.  Goons should not be able to rearm from a damaged field.  Anyone agree or disagree?  Was I mistaken in thinking I was repairing the field?  I never got it 100% fixed but then again, the Nits had tons of strato-buffs overhead porking the field.

-Ding

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 04:18:18 PM »
Why did you say this here? Go back to MA and keep on resupplying rooks fields! :D :rolleyes:

nah.. basicly I agree. You are exactly right!
I am a spy!

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 09:28:12 PM »
hmmmm.....

You think this is a feature?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 07:44:45 AM »
I've done this once aswell, for testing purpose since the field wasn't really endangered. I didn't take off though, just stood on the re-arm pad realsing suplies as they became avalible to me.

YES! It is gaming the game, was hoping nobody would post it like this though (although better then not posting at all). Hopefully HTC will get a fix out before all game gamers will get the eyes up for it.

Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 09:48:28 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
I've done this once aswell, for testing purpose since the field wasn't really endangered. I didn't take off though, just stood on the re-arm pad realsing suplies as they became avalible to me.

Damn!  I didnt think about that.  At least I took off and dropped em! :)  Either way, this is definately not a feature.

-Ding

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 10:28:24 AM »
Yea, I've known about this cheat for a while.  I've been at 19k in a Lancaster, about to drop bombs and watch a goon take off (while in bombsight), turn around, land and re-up everything.  One guy did it 5 times.  I just circled and watched in amazement.  I never dropped my bombs and due to my fixation on this C47 down below, I was blown outta the sky by a 262  :P

But whenever a buff driver like moi mentions this, I'm flamed and called a whiner over it.  Be damned the facts, you see.

It needs fixing.  Period.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Resupply: Gaming the Game?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2002, 10:41:07 AM »
Originally posted by Dingy
OK.   I landed and rearmed on the hotpad then

The rearm pad is not properly configured generally IMHO. It should only rearm you or refuel you within the constraints of the field logistics.

As we all know it rearms to the extent you were equipped initially.

I have also bombed the hell out of a field to land a b17 shortly after its capture and fill it all back up again(on the rearm pad whilst hangers and ammo etc are fully destroyed) to go onto the next field without having to wait or travel twice the distance.

I think the same can be done shortly after capture with drunks in the event that the barracks are down.

Tilt
Ludere Vincere

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Resupply: Gaming the Game?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 03:40:56 PM »
Hehe this hearkens back to the similar re-supply bug/feature in AW where you could re-supply a field by *bailing* from your goon once you were in the base's sector. LOL Ya didn't even have to go near the place really!

Gaming the game. Most definitely.

Drano

Originally posted by Dingy
OK.  Yesterday afternoon, rooks were outnumbered as usual and were being attacked at 52 and 53 in the NE corner of the NDIsles map.  The attack on 53 was primarily in the form of buffs which were porking the field so that planes couldnt take off and defend 52.

Seeing this, I figured I would up from 9 in a Goon with supplies and resupply 53.  Aproaching 53, I see a smoking field with explosions going on around it and drop supplies.  As expected, some of the damaged buildings are repaired.  Since there were no enemy fighters around, I landed and rearmed on the hotpad then launched, grabbed 1k and dropped the supplies just to see if they would actually repair the field.  

Sure enough, more damage was repaired.  I continued this until I finally got shot down by an enemy fighter (about 5 resupplys later :) )

Now, I dont think this should be a viable tactic.  Goons should not be able to rearm from a damaged field.  Anyone agree or disagree?  Was I mistaken in thinking I was repairing the field?  I never got it 100% fixed but then again, the Nits had tons of strato-buffs overhead porking the field.

-Ding
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 03:54:35 PM »
Heh.  You don't even need to take off.  Just taxi on to the rearm pad, stop, and drop supplies.  In 30 seconds, you will have another load to drop.  After you drop those, gun the motor, stop, and get another load...etc., etc....

Don't ask me how I know.   ;)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 06:34:30 PM »
I dropped supplies one time and the whole feild was fixed. I felt "Dirty"

NUTTZ

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: Re: Resupply: Gaming the Game?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 11:38:04 PM »
Originally posted by Drano
Hehe this hearkens back to the similar re-supply bug/feature in AW where you could re-supply a field by *bailing* from your goon once you were in the base's sector. LOL Ya didn't even have to go near the place really!

AAAarrrgh!!  NOBODY ever told me you were supposed to BAIL!!  I knew people did that, even had someone tell me about it lol, except they told me to drop supplies instead of bailing!!  GEEEEZ  Oh..ahh, I was only trying to figure it out to counter those stinkin cheatin gangbangin BZ!!! :D
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2002, 01:27:21 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
But whenever a buff driver like moi mentions this, I'm flamed and called a whiner over it.  Be damned the facts, you see.

Well, I've always thought you were complaining about goons when they work the way they're supposed to work.  Perhaps your detractors thought the same.

In this case, it is obviously a bug, and I wouldn't flame anybody for pointing it out.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2002, 11:53:18 AM »
Dingy:

I fly Rooks and my answer is a resounding ..No. This is not fair, makes no sense, has no basis in any kind of reality and really close to cheating. Thanks for discovering this and reporting it though.

Offline zipity

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2002, 07:30:28 PM »
Hey all,

I also think this is a bug but if you're going to do it, use a M3 instead.  C47's die too easily.  I did this once where after resupplying the base, I reloaded on the pad and waited in a BH as con Lancs and B17's were overhead.  They kept going after the VH and FHs.  After they would make a pass, I would quickly drop supplies and hit the rearm pad while they flipped.  You should have heard them squeaking.

All that said, I fly bombers a lot myself so I understand the frustration felt when after spending an hour getting alt, you bomb a field then watch as it gets resupplied within seconds.  I really hope this gets fixed in 109.

(but until then, bombers - remember to hit the BHs, they're a great hiding place)

salute all.