Author Topic: Few Q's from an uninitiated...  (Read 453 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Few Q's from an uninitiated...
« on: January 10, 2002, 09:26:00 PM »
Ok, using the mapmaker util... trying to make an area of 2000km+ by 2000km+ all fit into the 256X256 grids (512 grids just too unplayable).

Any way to shrink the thing so itl fit?

Note: using the GSID map of the americas to get a view on florida, cuba, part of central america, northern tip of south america (just above the middle half of Colombia), and the right edge is santo domingo.

-When putting objects.. for some weird reason, the moment I put an object in, I just CANT go to terrain or any other submenu, it wont click. I can only move terrain, I cant even scroll down the object list  :( Ideas?

- Are there any 30cal AA gun objects?

- My terrain has lots of leftover "1 point" water "X's" from importing it.. any way to make the editor automatically convert all single tiles of X type into X type?

- Can I use the beer (btw, which object is it..didnt see it) bottle object and set them as HQ?  :D

I'd like to believe im in the point of merely adding the objects into the map and cosmetic fixes (like those water x's). If any of ye gurus want to take a look at the map, let me know  :)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2002, 10:27:00 PM »
another, smaller map I have in the same stage, and this is the actual layout of fields   :) (when I figure out how to put them hehe)

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Tac ]

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2002, 12:03:49 PM »
Hello Tac

Ok, using the mapmaker util... trying to make an area of 2000km+ by 2000km+ all fit into the 256X256 grids (512 grids just too unplayable).

Any way to shrink the thing so itl fit?

I haven't used the MapMaker but try looking at this Post and see if it helps.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39647&highlight=mapmaker

-When putting objects.. for some weird reason, the moment I put an object in, I just CANT go to terrain or any other submenu, it wont click. I can only move terrain, I cant even scroll down the object list  Ideas?

1) Does this happen on the very first object you want to place or after placing several objects?  

2) Do you mean your mouse LOCKS UP?

3) Can you exit the Editor or do you need to ALT/CTRL/DEL to exit program?

4) If you did exit the Editor and then run it again are the objects that you placed still there?

5) Do you have any problems like this when you make a terrain map only using the Editor and not importing information from MapMaker or the Bmp2Map program?

- Are there any 30cal AA gun objects?

I only see the 30mm but there are the 50CALA and 50CALL guns.

- My terrain has lots of leftover "1 point" water "X's" from importing it.. any way to make the editor automatically convert all single tiles of X type into X type?

Maybe the first answer may help with this.

- Can I use the beer (btw, which object is it..didnt see it) bottle object and set them as HQ?

Objects listed in the Shpfilter will not show up in the Editor.  That object is BEERWEP or SHINER

Here is the shpfilter file I had made. http://accesswave.ca/~tscott/AH-stu...tuff/SFv208.zip

Make backup of the original one if you want.

If you put this file in the C:\Program Files\HTC\aheditor\terrains and rename it ( shpfilter ), it will remove all the shape items from the shape selection box when you are in the editor.
This way you can edit the shape selection box by having the shape you want by deleting the shape name from the shpfilter.
Now that shape will show up in the shape selection box.

Shpfilter is opened by using notepad.

Pokie

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2002, 04:56:54 PM »
Thnx.

I gave up on the 2000km map fitting it into the 256 grid. dont have the time to bust me brain more =P

On the object / not be able to click problem: Found out what it was, seems I was playing animations for some reason. lol.

As far as the water X's in the terrain..screw em, from the air they look like swamps or water holes. Ill just put some little houses and sheep around them ;)

Been putting airfields and stuff around. I really dont have the time to put into it, its a nice terrain layout :)

So, if any of you gurus want to take it and put in the objects, let me know, ill send you the OBA file :) :D

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2002, 06:03:41 PM »
Originally posted by Tac

As far as the water X's in the terrain..screw em, from the air they look like swamps or water holes. Ill just put some little houses and sheep around them ;)

Been putting airfields and stuff around. I really dont have the time to put into it, its a nice terrain layout :)

So, if any of you gurus want to take it and put in the objects, let me know, ill send you the OBA file :) :D

Now I think I know what you are talking about "water X's in the terrain" it is a water tile that is surrounded by land tiles.  Just click your mouse on that water x and turn it to some texture other than water.

As for offering gurus to place objects, they would need more than the .oba file.  
They would need the .elv file and should also get the .typ files.

Pokie

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2002, 07:51:28 PM »
Tac, this is what i do from now on.

I use CorelDraw9 and corelPaint.

OK, I do this now for all maps.

First you need to make a greyscale .BMP 1024x1024 so it's importable threw mapmaker. You can convert the map you have from the other program but make sure it's greyscale.

Ok open up a NEW page in CorelPaint ( or any other art program) set the new page to 1024x1024 pixels. now paste your greyscale map into it and save as EXample call it PAC512.  Now open your original greyscale map AND open a new page in Corelpaint to greyscale 1024x1024 pixels. Resample your ORiginal greyscale map to 256 x 256 pixels, Cut and paste it into the new page 1024X1024 and it will Automatically center it into it, Save as PAC256. Now open a new page greyscale 1024x1024 pixels. and open your Original greyscale map, Resample it to 128x128 pixels, NOW cut and paste into the 1024x1024, again it will auto center, save as PAC128. Now you have 3 maps of the SAME map, one each of 128,256,and 512 in size, run each .BMP threw the mapmaker and you will have the same map but in those 3 sizes, NOW choose what size you THINK the map is best suited for. and the original color map or greyscale can be used for all 3.

WHEW! understand that??

thats the way i am making maps now, So they can be used for MA, CT or H2h, or what ever.

NUTTZ

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2002, 06:17:31 PM »
Thanks Nuttz,i have been playing with the editor and have had a few hitches but can now make it do pretty much what i want,(sort of)...your tip above is just the thing i was going to post a new topic and ask,thanks for saving me the trouble :)

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 04:29:00 PM »
*blink*

No. But then again, I only have Paint (mwhahaa.. i suck).  :D

Anyway, the terrain is there, only needs the objects. The offer stands, ill send any file they need. Long live cable.

This terrain is dear to me, its my country (bastardized, chopped and tweaked to add interesting terrain features to the flatlands to the East.. dont think its fair to have 2 sides have lotsa high fields and 1 side stuck with the lowlands). I flew over the valley where my hometown was, I was thrilled to zoom my 38 in the valley where my house was. This map to AH-map converter is EXCELLENT.