Author Topic: Convergence  (Read 732 times)

Offline Wimpy

• Zinc Member
Convergence
« on: February 07, 2002, 08:03:40 PM »
Does it matter at what distance,as long as you hit the target, you have your guns set for?  Does 1 hit at 250 do more damage than 1 hit at 400? Does this differ from guns to cannon?  Does AH refect this?

Wimpy

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
Convergence
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 10:01:17 PM »
Wimpy,

See a write-up I did on convergence at:

netAces.org Convergence Page

HaMmeR
www.netAces.org

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Convergence
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 11:51:21 PM »
Well done Hammer!  I could be wrong, but I don't think convergence settings change the sight elevation.  So if you set your convergence long, you may need to shoot high, or modify your sight to raise the aim point.

Lots of good info here!  Thanks.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Convergence
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2002, 12:20:13 AM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
Well done Hammer!  I could be wrong, but I don't think convergence settings change the sight elevation.  So if you set your convergence long, you may need to shoot high, or modify your sight to raise the aim point.

If you want your shots to converge at a longer range, the guns will have to be elevated slightly to account for the longer distance.  This means at short distances, you'll need to shoot lower, not higher.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Convergence
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2002, 02:13:19 AM »
Wimpy fly AH offline. Take off flying North. Use the .target xxx command. For example .target 300 will put a target 300 yards in front of you. Shoot at the target and you will see your shot pattern as well as the impact point relative to your aim point. Set the target at different ranges from 50 - 1000 yards to see how the same convergence setting patterns at different distances.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2002, 08:55:24 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

If you want your shots to converge at a longer range, the guns will have to be elevated slightly to account for the longer distance.  This means at short distances, you'll need to shoot lower, not higher.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Leviathn,

You are correct if AH actually raises the gun elevation (which the write-up I did assumes).  However, after testing a few of the planes, it appears this is not the case.  

So far, the worst performing guns I have tested are the LW 13mm and 20mm.  The results are found here .  While there is some deviation in the results at different convergence settings, it is not consistant with an increase in the gun's elevation.  It is more likely poor shooting on my part!

HTC, any comment on what your convergence settings actually adjust in the sim?

HaMmeR
www.netAces.org

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Convergence
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2002, 09:31:09 AM »
Great tests!

Did you do this by manually holding it on target?  It appears that way.  Just wondering, since auto-trim could cause some issues there.  Also, did you have Combat Trim enabled?

I see your point though... it appears that even by setting convergence out to say 600 and shooting at 200, they didn't seem to shoot high on the target.  However, I'm not sure it would be noticeable in the tests that you did... mostly because the trajectories are really fairly flat out to 600 or so.  Still I thought I'd see a slightly higher pattern for the longer convergence ranges.  Maybe HT changes the aimpoint instead?

What we really need is a fixed shooting setup for the planes with the .target functionality.  Ideally, it would be great if that's what you got when you pressed the convergence button... a place not only to set convergence, but to test the guns and see the pattern. :)

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
Convergence
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2002, 04:25:41 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn

What we really need is a fixed shooting setup for the planes with the .target functionality.  Ideally, it would be great if that's what you got when you pressed the convergence button... a place not only to set convergence, but to test the guns and see the pattern. :)

I wish!  But, not all that important.

I was using combat trim, but flying manually.  It is interesting seeing how much the plane tries to fly off your line.  The Fw D9 is really bad (testing it right now).  I used short bursts, trying to re-center after each.

I have considered going back and doing a test at the 50% range (i.e. 300 for convergence of 600) with the idea that is where the deviation should be highest.  But after looking at the ones I've already done, it appears (as you stated) that all the trajectories are fairly flat out to 600 and start to drop after that.  The amount of drop does not seem to be significantly affected by the convergence setting.  I will say, though, that this seems contrary to my experience in the arena.  Nothing but a feeling to back that up, but I adjusted after conducting some tests and ended up going back to what I had.  Probably just me!

HaMmeR
www.netAces.org

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Convergence
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2002, 09:30:34 PM »
OK, next question.  On a Jug, you can set the convergence on 4 sets of guns at different distances.  If the sights change, then what set of guns are the sights set to?

I kind of think the sight is not changed, but the tragectory is quite flat out to 600 yds.  If this is true,  then if you set your convergence for over 600 yds, your aim point will not be on target with the default sight, for shots over 600 yds.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Convergence
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2002, 03:02:19 AM »
....or you can fly a plane with centerline guns mounted in the nose and not have to worry about convergence :)

One of the reasons why I like the P-38.  The bullet spread pattern is roughly the same at 600 yards as it is at 200 yards.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Convergence
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2002, 01:40:49 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
OK, next question.  On a Jug, you can set the convergence on 4 sets of guns at different distances.  If the sights change, then what set of guns are the sights set to?

I kind of think the sight is not changed, but the tragectory is quite flat out to 600 yds.  If this is true,  then if you set your convergence for over 600 yds, your aim point will not be on target with the default sight, for shots over 600 yds.

Gunner

Ok, well good point, it's likely the sight doesn't change in that case but the firing angle of the guns do.  It only makes sense, since we can set each set of guns individually for convergence.  I would also note that for those of you who fly planes with lots of .50 cals like the Jug, I recommend you set all guns to the same Conv. range to maximize the chance of making snapshots count.  If you have something with MG's and Cannons mixed, it makes more sense to have your cannons set fairly close in, say 300, and set the MG's out to max to try and tag those guys who try to run away and get them to turn.

As for setting your convergence beyond 600... 650 is the max, so it's not a big issue really.

The main thing is to test your guns using the .target xxx command no matter what plane you fly.  It will give you a good idea of where your bullets will land at what range.  Do more than just fly straight at the target too, practice doing turns at various G loads and spraying ammo at the target as you pass it.  It will give you a good idea what's happening to your bullet stream under G load and help you adjust your aim point.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Convergence
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2002, 03:00:03 PM »
Thanks Lephturn & Hammer!

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force