Author Topic: Zekes dont turn to the right?  (Read 385 times)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Zekes dont turn to the right?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2002, 01:36:19 PM »
"So if the Yak pilot offsets to the left (his POV) on the merge he will have a huge advantage."

IMO it's a good thing that only about 10% of the arena read these boards.  :)    I love (repeat LOVE) right hand turn-fighting ;)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2002, 03:48:31 PM »
At speed the light zero's roll rate was slower than the corsair's who's roll rate was very fast in no small part due to the gull wings and huge ailerons. Obviously the direction of engine torque played a large role as well.   At high speed the corsair pilot would break to the right, or left, depending on which way the prop spins, I dont recall off hand and by the time the zero pilot could roll his a/c he had overshot his adversary.  I'm not sure but I would bet that the props in the corsair and zero probably spin in different directions.  Try it in ah at about 350kn, it'll become very clear.  I've been outrolled by fw's and f4's at high speed while giving chase in my mc205.  I would have really been in trouble if I was flyin a zero :)  The corsairs really outclassed the zero's in almost every respect.

CRASH

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2002, 09:52:55 PM »
There are so many factors that go into this, its not just any one of them but the cumalative effect that causes the Corsair to roll better.  Boosted controls or lack of them, horsepower/torque to weight ratio, length of the wings, wing area, negative static stability, size of control surfaces, servo trim, and  many other factors, most of which have been mentioned already, all combine to make an airplane have good or bad rolling capability.

By the way, the Corsairs prop spins clockwise as viewed from the pilots seat, as do almost all US made aircraft.  To the best of my knowledge the Zeros prop also spins clockwise, so that isnt why.
Also, somebody incorrectly stated above that most airplanes turn best to the right.  Not true, most airplanes have props that turn clockwise as viewed from the rear, causing the airplane to want to turn counterclockwise, a rolling moment to the left.  This means that most  prop planes turn best to the left.

The factors that cause this are:
--P-factor (one prop blade creating more thrust than other due to angle of attack causing thrust axis to be displaced from relative wind)
--slipstream swirl (the corkscrewing motion imparted to air by the propeller which swirls around and causes horizontal lifting force on the vertical stab),
--torque
--gyroscopic precession (the force created when a force is applied to the rim of a spinning object, such as a propeller)

All these act to effect the ability of aircraft to turn in certain directions.  On a normal prop aircraft, (clockwise prop) all of these except gyroscopic precession cause the airplane to roll and/or yaw to the left.  

My guess is that the superiority of the Corsair over the Zero in this instance has far more to do with the control surfaces than it does with the engine torque.  US aircraft in general had far more control authority at higher speeds than did Japanese aircraft of WW2.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2002, 11:45:32 PM »
In McGuire's "Combat Tactics in the SouthWest Pacific", the only plane he wrote that had poor right turn performance was the 'Tony'.  At high speeds this plane was unable to turn or roll to the right. He also mentions that the Japanese pilots in whatever fighter would almost always break to the left.  

Ack-Ack
479th F.G. - Riddle's Raiders
Knights