Author Topic: Researching compact 35mm camera's with built in zoom lens capability  (Read 203 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Anyone have any recommendations?  Wife wants a new camera. It doesn't have to be top of the line, just something reliable.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Researching compact 35mm camera's with built in zoom lens capability
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 12:20:45 PM »
Why 35mm?

Go digital man!  They are awesome....and reasonable nowadays too.

Plus they can be fun for any couple....hint, hint

;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 12:30:05 PM »
We have a digi-cam and digi-camcorder, need old fashion 35mm for various types of films (B@W, color)  She's into photo albums, and prints at the local store are $3 for doubles of 24 exposure, enough to send copies to relatives and scrap books she makes up.

We have (2) 35mm, but she doesn't like my old fashioned Pentax, her compact 35mm doesn't have a zoom.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2002, 01:02:19 PM »
That camera has a minimum focal length of 38mm, not a very wide angle.  If your wife wants to do  indoor photos of groups of people, or photos of airplanes in museums, you might consider something with more wide angle, around 28mm.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 01:12:30 PM »
Originally posted by popeye
That camera has a minimum focal length of 38mm, not a very wide angle.  If your wife wants to do  indoor photos of groups of people, or photos of airplanes in museums, you might consider something with more wide angle, around 28mm.

Thks Popeye. She's still got her other camera, she hates it because its lens is good for large groups of people, but sucks for close ups when taking a picture from, say 15 feet away...I think it might be just what she wants, she can carry both with her.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2002, 01:50:04 PM »
Popeye is right on the wide angle lens concept.
Wide angle is more versatile and focus is less of an issue.  With a 28mm, everything is in focus beyond 10 feet or so and they are great indoors.
To me, size should be the #1 concern.
A big or heavy camera isn't convenient to carry around and you will probably end up leaving it behind more often than you would have wished.
Cannon has a series of cameras that are the smallest on the normal market, the Elphs.
They are pocket size, without sacrifice in picture quality.
I would get an Elph.
BTW, I have a degree in photography.

eskimo