Author Topic: AH Scenario - Invasion Italy  (Read 534 times)

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
AH Scenario - Invasion Italy
« on: February 12, 2002, 02:18:28 PM »
Invasion Sicily
"On the night of 9-10 July 1943, an Allied armada of 2,590 vessels launched one of the largest combined operations of World War II— the invasion of Sicily. Over the next thirty-eight days, half a million Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen grappled with their German and Italian counterparts for control of this rocky outwork of Hitler's 'Fortress Europe.' When the struggle was over, Sicily became the first piece of the Axis homeland to fall to Allied forces during World War II. More important, it served as both a base for the invasion of Italy and as a training ground for many of the officers and enlisted men who eleven months later landed on the beaches of Normandy".
(courtesy: ehistory.com)

So sets the stage for the next Aces High scenario, "Invasion: Sicily" (designed by Buzzbait).

Invasion: Sicily is perhaps the most ambitious scenario we've ever undertaken. It encompasses the combined efforts of our air, naval and ground units, inextricably linked to supplies and resources through rail, ship and road. The terrain (created by Sundog) finds the island of Sicily flanked by the coast of North Africa to its West, the toe of the Italian peninsula to the North, the islands of Malta and Pantellerina to the South. On land lies a web of airfields, cities, towns, factories, depots, and batteries - many of which will become an integral part of your operations. At sea await a host of fleets, poised for invasion or defence.

Funked (Allies) and AUB (Axis) will be your Commanding Officers. Both of them are proven leaders and it will be up to them to decide on the course of action (out of the myriad of possibilities) that will lead them to victory. Both may attack to gain territory, both may defend. Both may split operations to strike at resources, or both may concentrate forces on a limited number of objectives. The possibilities are endless, and the outcome is anyone's guess.

You are cordially invited (strongly encouraged!) to take part in Invasion: Sicily. Registration opens this Saturday, February the 16th, and remains open for 10 days. It will not be first come first serve, and you will not be asked to register for a particular plane type. Instead we'll be going with a lottery system. At the end of the ten day registration process, if more than 250 people register, only 250 people will be selected (randomly). You will be asked for your contact info, plane-type preference (only), and any squad affiliation. Once we have the registrants sorted into sides, the CO's will then sort them into the scenario squads based on their own criteria. Squads and singles will both be accomodated, and we will be accepting walk-ons.

Invasion: Sicily will be played out over two consecutive weekends as follows:

Frame One: 3 PM EST, Saturday March 16
Frame Two: 5:30 PM EST, Saturday March 16
Frame Three: 3 PM EST, Saturday March 23
Frame Four: 5:30 PM EST, Saturday March 23

Stay tuned for the Invasion: Sicily website (open this Saturday the 16th) for more scenario info.

Sides :

Allied Squadrons and Aircraft :
British Commonweath :
Malta Fighter Wing
  • 417 RCAF Squadron Spit V
  • 249 Squadron RAF Spit V
  • 242 Squadron RAF Spit IX
Malta Tactical Wing
  • 1st SAAF Squadron Hurricane IV's (sub Hurricane IIC)
  • 3rd SAAF Squadron Hurricane IV's (sub Hurricane IIC)
Based on Aircraft Carrier HMS `FORMIDABLE`
Fleet Air Arm
  • 800 Squadron F.A.A. Seafire IIC
  • 804 Squadron F.A.A. Sea Hurricane IIC
  • 820 Squadron F.A.A. Avenger TBM
USAAF
1st Fighter Group
  • 27th Fighter Squadron P-38F (Sub P-38L)
  • 94th Fighter Squadron P-38F (Sub P-38L)
57th Fighter Group
  • 64th Fighter Squadron P-47D11`s
  • 65th Fighter Squadron P-47D11`s
USAAF Bomber Groups
  • 310th Bomber Group B-25 (Sub B-26)
  • 340th Bomber Group B-25 (Sub B-26)
  • 250th Bomber Group B-24 (Sub Lancaster)
  • 98th Bomber Group B-17F (Sub B-17G)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Axis Squadrons and Aircraft
German
Jagdgeschwader 77
I Gruppe
  • 1st Staffel 109G2
  • 2nd Staffel 109G2
Jagdgeschwader 53
II Gruppe
  • 4th Staffel 109G6
  • 5th Staffel 109G6
Schlachtgeschwader 2
II Gruppe
  • 5th Staffel 190A5
  • 6th Staffel 190A5
Kampfgeschwader 77 (Staffels with 9 Pilots)
II Gruppe
  • 5th Staffel Ju88A
  • 6th Staffel Ju88A
Reggia Aeronautica
  • 3o Stormo
  • 83a Squadriglia MC205
  • 153a Squadriglia MC202
  • 154a Squadriglia MC205
Naval Task Groups
British
  • 1 CV Task Group (Carrier and Cruiser, plus DE's)
  • 1 Cruiser Task Group (2 Cruisers, plus DE's)
  • 1 Convoy Task Group (8 DE's)
U.S.
  • 1 Convoy Task Group (8 DE's)
Italian:
Both sides have a limited number of PT Boats, LT2's and LT4's and C47's for troop transport and Ground Vehicles.

-----------------

Best of luck,

Aces High Scenario Team

Nash - Team Leader
banana
DmdJordi
Buzzbait
BNg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2002, 07:38:47 PM by jordi »
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 04:42:14 PM »
LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!!!

Allied pilots please contact me if you are interested in leadership roles.  I am looking for squadron leaders, wing leaders, and surface force leaders.  Obviously you will need to register as Allied, and do well in the lottery.  If that works out and you are interested in a leadership role please email me:

funkedup@raf303.org

« Last Edit: February 12, 2002, 04:49:05 PM by funkedup »

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 09:04:22 PM »
Looks AWESOME.

Sadly, the Academy will be having recognition on the first weekend and spring break on the second.

As many raptors as I can muster will try and walk on for the Allies (if the CMs will let it) for the 16th.

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 09:32:14 PM »
What was the reasoning behind the lottery system?  I just want to fly a B26.

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 09:57:30 PM »
The lottery is to get past the first come first in problem.

"Instead we'll be going with a lottery system. At the end of the ten day registration process, if more than 250 people register, only 250 people will be selected (randomly). You will be asked for your contact info, plane-type preference (only), and any squad affiliation. Once we have the registrants sorted into sides, the CO's will then sort them into the scenario squads based on their own criteria. Squads and singles will both be accomodated, and we will be accepting walk-ons. "

It will come into affect if we get MORE than the alloted number of registered pilots spots.

In reality it comes down to how each CO wants to set the roster - they will go of the preferences listed. Chances are if you select a ride not many want you have a very good chance of getting that ride.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 10:40:38 PM »
Q:

What's subbing for Sea Hurricane IIC?  AFAIK the Hurri we have doesnt have an arrestor hook......

Q:

What are 3o Stormo flying?
If they're not.......then Allied have 12 fighter squadrons, Axis have 11.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2002, 01:48:17 AM »
The lottery is to get past the first come first in problem.

How is this a problem?

Thats how it should be.

If you were to open registration 1 pm Saturday edt you wouldn't have had the folks whining in Big Week about not gettin the ride they wanted because registration opened in the middle of a work day. It was only a few that actually had a problem with registration.

Why even have a "registration for a Lottery" just to take the subscription list to ah and send out random emails. :rolleyes:

How this "lottery" gonna be done? you will have our names and emails so I suspect it may turn into "I'll take him and him, no not him and him and maybe him.........."

Oh well its your deal run it how ya want..........

« Last Edit: February 13, 2002, 01:50:23 AM by Wotan »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2002, 06:10:11 PM »
I'm not part of the CM team anymore, but I suspect they run some kind of program that selects 250 names from all the registrees at random.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2002, 06:50:27 PM »
That's right Dowding.

Wotan, you propose sending out 250 random emails?

Erhm... think that through and get back to me with how something like that could possibly work. I reckon I won't be hearing much. :)

The lottery was put into place because folks asked for it. The scenario is where the competition is supposed to happen. This part, well, it aint a race.

If you have any questions that aren't actually already addressed on the registration page, fire away.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 04:13:40 AM »
Wotan, you propose sending out 250 random emails?

no but i dont propose a lottery either. :)  I think 1 st come 1 st serve works the best.

Basically with a lottery thats all your doing any way sending out radom emails.

Democracy isnt always the best way to run things. Common sense should rule out.

The fact is the "lottery" may very well end up pissing more folks off then 1st come 1st serve.

atleast I am in control when its 1st come 1 st serve. I think it would have been much better to open registration on say 1 - 3 edt Saturday. And to post the date of the registration well in advance.

Also theres a better chance of getting the types of people that make a scenario run smooth if you have an enthusiastic group of volunteers then unknown draftees.

And from what I have read about the 1st come 1st serve folks is they didn't get to fly there 51s. Because if you flew buffs or 190a8s or lw in general you got your pic and there was plenty left to go around. Their complaint was I didn't get to fly my allied xx fighter. Instead of arguing "I deserve a xxx plane" they masked it by pointing the finger at registration. If there would have been 1000 slots with 100 p51s 100 p28s and 100 p47s there would have been no request. The lottery isn't going to appease them , atleast imho.

Also I dont think a lottery is gonna get ya the  turn out. I know a few guys that if ya put um in 202s or ju88s arent gonna bother to show.

I am sure that is even more so with the allies.

Anyway I not am arguing with you run it how ya want just imho a "lottery" is bit extreme in addressing the concerns over the bw registration.

We will see I hope it works well.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2002, 04:23:03 AM by Wotan »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2002, 04:36:44 AM »
In the immortal words of Marley... everything gonna be alright. :)

If this trips you up... ok.. you might have a beef. But it hasn't... nobody knows... so we're wasting our time. Punt this inna coupla weeks if this works out badly for ya.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2002, 04:42:08 AM by Nash »