Author Topic: SpitIX vs YAK  (Read 783 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2002, 08:00:07 AM »
I would agree with Tac in the case of YAK vs. P38.

At the end of january i flew YAK for a week or so, and it was no big think to kill low P38 from a co-E situation, especially of the P38 went into loops.
The key, seems that the YAK must constantly fly lag pursuit, up to the point were both planes are over the top, than the YAK can use its incredible accel, to get a speed advantage over the P38 and trade that next turn for angles.

If the P38 notices that its on the loosing end, and drops out of the loop, starting a scissors or so, again, lag pursuit will do it. Also u can chop throttle, hang the YAK behind the P38s scissors. If the 38 than notices that there will be no overshoot and thinks he can accel away, the YAK simply rams in full throttle and u will catch up with the P38 fast.

Cause i normally fly 190, i can say that a YAK suits much better to knifefight with a P38. If you use some good old E reserving moves with the YAK, the P38 will not get home.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2002, 08:17:25 AM »
HocBao, the main and probably only clear disadvantage of Spit vs Yak is that while your Spit will, at some point, run out of WEP, the Yak9U will remain on esteroids forever. Based on this, a even Tempest is, in overal, inferior to the Yak.

Every time I engange a Yak with D9, I know very well that I will burn all my WEP just to kill a single fighter.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2002, 12:59:17 PM »
The key to the Yak and spitty are actually the same (IMHO)...aggressive flying combined with excellent throttle control.
Way back when Lev used to give me occasional "lessons":eek: along with Jase when I was in the TA. Over time I reached a point were I could make things interesting (at least most of the time) and occasionaly snag a W or two. Little tricks like "the rudder slap" are all a question of relative angles vs energy....since the Yak accelerates like a bat out of hell and climbs like a scalded seagull it has the ability to wreak havoc with a spitty...as long as the yak fights in the vertical oblique and doesnt chase it's own tail vs the spit I'd say the Yak will easily hose a co-e spitty...of course pilot ability can change all that...AS for the learning ACM stuff...I'd add a few comments.

Four kinds of ACM

1) "knife fighting"...ala lev/nath and others...masters of the spit 5.
2) "E-fighting"(and dirty tricks) Drex and others P47/190 type
3) "Billy Jack" school of E fighting...I know you know what I'm going to do and you cant to a damm thing about it...a host of good sticks.
4) SA ACM...Tac and the other 38 drivers come to mind...good tactice often not enough in the 38 compared to other E fighters

Personally I think the best plane to learn in is the 205. If you fly it right you can kill anything with it. The F6 is also a great choice. ...as for the real deal ....still think spit V's at 50 ft is the real test.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2002, 01:39:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the "rudder slap".  What is that?  I am fairly new to Aces High (4 months or so) and I have seen this on the message boards a couple of times.  What is it exactly?

HOC, the only advice I have has already been given.  Get yourself in trouble.  Pick a plane that you like and fly to the fight between 5-10k.  This is not a plan for survival but it will ensure many fights most of which are at a disadvantage.  Fighting the odds will help you to learn good ACM.  Film every fight.  You can learn something from every fight, win or lose.  You will probably die frequently at first but you will eventually gain skill.  You need to concentrate on tactics and control.  In other words figuring out what to do then being able to execute the manuever while maintaining control of your plane.

By the way, anyone can be shot down by anyone else at anytime in the main arena.  Dont let it get to you if you get shot down, and dont get overconfident if you get a kill on someone who is considered a great pilot in here.  Just go have fun buddy (and remind me that I said this when you hear me whining, I backslide at times lol).

Zaphod

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2002, 07:13:14 PM »
My best advice, I fly the Yak alot, vs the Spit is to get the Yak to slow down.  Like around 150.  Then the Spit has the edge.

IMO the Yak is a plane that hits a real sweet spot.  It will turn better than planes that are faster than it and will out run planes that can out turn it.   A very dangerous opponent for a Spit as it will "almost" turn with a Spit and can always out run it.

Always remember that in a Spit you most often can not dictate the terms of the fight, this is almost entirely the role of the Yak.

One mistake often made by many Spit pilots is "I can always out turn them and get my kill".  

When flying the Yak this is what I want the Spit to do.  I will keep putting some E in my pocket, especially if I see the Spit going for HO attacks.  I do this by using lead verticle turns.  The Spit pulls to make a killing shot, I pull to gain angle and restore E.  I wait for the Spit burn his E,  make a mistake or a missed aggresive move before I go for a shot.

To beat the Yak in a Spit, fly the Spit by always putting E back in your pocket, don't go for a kill on every pass.   Know that the Yak has a low ammo load, he will probably not spray and pray.  The Yak will get close and try to slide the dagger in.  Use this to your advantage.

Remember:  "Your opponent must first be beaten and then shot down"  

Good Luck!

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2002, 09:50:18 AM »
Well, I like to fly the Yak a fair bit, but one of the comments has me wondering what im doing wrong??

Its acceleration. I met a Pj a few weeks back, we tangled and after a while we found ourselves on the deck, I guess our speeds were the same, mine was just a smidgen over 100mph, The Pj was around 600 yards off.

He straightened out and and went for home, ha i though, hes mine. I gave him a short burst at 700 yards just to make him turn a bit but he just kept on going, 800, 900 then 1.1, 1.2 . 1.4k I soon gave up because of his friends, but I was astonished at his acceleration.

What did I do wrong
:confused:
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2002, 05:35:24 PM »
That is rather odd, perhaps the P38 has better acceleration from 150 to 250 mph, and the Yak after that.  By the way.. 100 mph?  That seems awfully low to me, I've never gotten a plane that slow except when landing or in a rope.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2002, 03:59:06 AM »
I remember being a "smidgen over" 100mph, the actual amount Im not too sure of, but it was basically stalling, and I had to level the wings and be gentle with it until it started to accelerate
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2002, 04:16:15 AM »
The Yak is a monster. It's fast, climbs good and turns so well that only spits, hurrys, nikis and zekes have a proper edge there.
So, vs the Spit, don't let the spitty lure you into a stalling turn. In a left turn when the spitty starts slipping away, break right high and come around again.
In a spit vs the Yak, the yak can come and go. That will change when the Spit XIV arrives, chuckle chucle....
So try to lure the Yak in a stalling turn. If he does not fall for it that means trouble. Secondary idea: turn less near to the stall and watch your six. As he breaks away high, do the same with more force. . if you're lucky you might get a shot before you stall. But don't stall.
Good luck:D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
SpitIX vs YAK
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2002, 12:25:57 PM »
"Rudder Slap" is hard to articulate but easy to understand once you've been on the wrong end a few times. Basically it's an angles attack initiated from a positive E tactical situation. Normally it's used during the opening merge but can be employed other places in the fight also.

All you do is employ full rudder (and reduced or zero throttle) to create an overshoot.  since the rudder involvement also creates a change in direction you've also changed your aspect to the target. To the victim you literally vanish out of the views and suddenly reappear close in. Sometimes you literally can't find the enemy even as you get shredded from 50 yds since he's on the oblique views or tucked under you.

The spit V is the ultimate plane for this but any plane can utilize the tactic. I'm using my own understanding here but more experienced pilots can certainly add additional info and proper use tips.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson