Author Topic: damage issues  (Read 572 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
damage issues
« on: July 01, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
Its just that i think that we get way to many wings and stabs flying off. From watching combat film clips and reading a recent book it seems to me that more often than not the AC that was taking damage would not lose a wing but fuel fires and smokey cockpits, along with engine oil on the windscreen was enuff to cause a pilot to bail. Now of coarse the pilot had his his own skin to save and was a definate factor.  

How hard would it be for HTC to model these affects, like fire in the cockpit, Smoke and oil too., panels and other pieces flying off instead of wings? Is it desirable and does it create other issues that I am not aware of?

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
damage issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2000, 07:02:00 PM »
I think that HTC modeled those things flying off easy because it's more entertaining, the Hollywood effect (not sure how to call that)... u know, like in any car accident in the movies the car blows up.  
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
damage issues
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »
It also tells ya when it's ok to quit shooting.  

The small screen is not quite as detailed as RL.

I think it's more in the vein of gameplay.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

damage issues
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2000, 10:42:00 PM »
I would love to see the carcass of a plane keep going even if the pilot is dead or has bailed out.  Just change the icon to grey or blue or something to denote that it is unpiloted.

Vorg

damage issues
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2000, 11:55:00 PM »
>I would love to see the carcass of a plane keep going

I was at a base in an M16 blasting a plane that was dive right at me. Plane started trailing light and dark smoke followed shortly by parts coming off as the plane held it's line down to me at a good 60 degrees down. It riffled into the ground right in front of me. Have had a couple plow the ground around me trying to make low alt passes and loose somthing they needed to stay up  .

There does seem to be a problem with the P47. It's ammo seems too powerfull. 1-2 pings kill a panzer nerly every time. Seems to me a tank can take more then a couple of bullets. The 40mm ack seems to have little effect. Wouldn't think the aircraft lug around heavyer guns then ground based ACK.

Also, the guns on any of the ground units seem usless against the M3 and M16. Not even the M16 can touch them. Yet every other guns makes swiss cheese of them in a heart beat.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
damage issues
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2000, 12:40:00 AM »
really? Wow I must suck big time then, because when i straff tanks, even from the rear, I ping it all other for 2-3 full seconds and it's still up.

And I think it's great that way.

------------------
Olivier "Frenchy" Raunier

[This message has been edited by SFRT - Frenchy (edited 07-02-2000).]
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
damage issues
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2000, 12:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
I would love to see the carcass of a plane keep going even if the pilot is dead or has bailed out.  Just change the icon to grey or blue or something to denote that it is unpiloted.

Leave the icons the same
Make the shooter wonder if he really keeled his target or if the target is playing opossum and letting his bird spin to get away  

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
damage issues
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »
 Agree wih Cavemanj.
Want to be sure of the kill-gonna cost you some of that precious alt to know for certain.Makes playing possum a new 'trump-card'.Real-life gamble-yea I like it  

------------------
    By-Tor
'SCREAM'IN PTERODACTYLS'

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
damage issues
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by -ammo-:

How hard would it be for HTC to model these affects, like fire in the cockpit, Smoke and oil too., panels and other pieces flying off instead of wings? Is it desirable and does it create other issues that I am not aware of?

Hey, seen what the smoke does to the FPS?..wouldŽnt want that in a furball for shure!!!

Crabofix      -<SIAF>-

Kaplan

damage issues
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
jij

[This message has been edited by Kaplan (edited 07-02-2000).]

Kaplan

damage issues
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »
What dmg modeling?? AH has a dmg model?

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
damage issues
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
CFS had that , maybe the player only seen the oil etc . But we seen fire from their engine and black or gray smoke .

cheers spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
damage issues
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2000, 09:22:00 PM »

There does seem to be a problem with the P47. It's ammo seems too powerfull. 1-2 pings kill a panzer nerly every time. Seems to me a tank can take more then a couple of bullets. The 40mm ack seems to have little effect. Wouldn't think the aircraft lug around heavyer guns then ground based ACK.

Hmm I've sat in a panzer and let a p47 strafe me for 5 mins without a scratch...  Never been killed in a panzer by a p47's guns and i've been strafed by many.  Rockets and bombs tho yes..

SKurj

funked

damage issues
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2000, 09:27:00 PM »
I've used an entire ammo load from a P-47 on a single panzer.  He was immobilized but still firing.  I'm guessing Vorg got hit by a rocket or a bomb.

Vorg

damage issues
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2000, 11:25:00 PM »
I saw tracer fire, not rockets and some of the kills, the plane was not even over me yet, so bombs are out to.