Author Topic: RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SERVE ANY CUSTOMER  (Read 1382 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SERVE ANY CUSTOMER
« on: November 02, 1999, 04:25:00 AM »
This is a sign most anyone in the States can see in any retail business.  In fact, it's so well known that most people take it for granted.  If I own a bookstore and you as a customer start screaming at other customers or employees, I can ask you (and have the police enforce it) to leave.  Sure, you can sue, but it won't hold up for a second in court.  Same thing for a theater: talk too loud during a movie and you will asked to keep it down, or leave.  One pays $7 at the theater ticket booth to be entitled to watch a movie, not to act disruptively.  However, act sensibly and everything should be great.

An online game is really just a business with clients, so the same rules apply.  Act within reason and there should be no trouble, but start to become disruptive to the online community and you should be asked to leave.  In many of the text-based MUSHes out there, there is a known standard by which players are expected to behave, and it's called being in character(IC).  In fact, it's placed in the help files and all new players are asked to read it before playing.  Act Out-Of-Character(OOC) and you can ultimately be barred from playing should the offensive behavior be severe enough, or repeated often enough.

I saw an article about online behavior in a recent computer gaming magazine, and this was their argument.  To me this makes a lot of sense.  So, paying $30/month to play AH doesn't give one the right to be offensive or disruptive, or OOC.  HTC, this may be something to consider once AH is up & rolling for production.  I seriously doubt that it would create any loss of your customer base.  Telling people to leave a bookstore or a restaurant for offensive behavior generally doesn't affect the business adversely, and in fact, not doing so sometimes results in the loss of good customers.

Just something to think about...

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

chester

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 1999, 08:36:00 AM »
Leonid,right! When you buy a ticket(monthly fee)certain rights are established.Also certain peramiters are given to the vendor.
If i buy a ticket and cannot enjoy the event because the vendor failed to provide the correct enviorment,He is liable. It WILL be tested!(as in law)
The free-for-all enviorment that is the norm,soon will cease.If we as gamers dont organize,set rules of behavior
and define what it is we pay for,the court will! count on it!

dawg

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 1999, 08:49:00 AM »
Yawn--- I'm glad the AH server ain't in the Eastern Block.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 1999, 09:34:00 AM »
Dawg,
Your slight is just that, a slight.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  I'm an American talking about common business practice in the USA.  Where're you from?

Jeez, the only thing that is of Eastern European origin (there is no Eastern Block anymore, dog.  Read the papers.)  is my callsign (leonid) and my squad (129 IAP).

So, what's up with that, dog?

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 11-02-1999).]

dawg

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 1999, 09:40:00 AM »
Yawn again

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 1999, 09:52:00 AM »
Oh, man, why am I even arguing with you?  You don't even play the game that much.  Out.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 11-02-1999).]

dawg

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 1999, 11:20:00 AM »
Ahhhh-z-z-z-z-Ahhhhhz-z-z-z-z-zAhhhz-z-z-z-z-

Offline Surfer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 1999, 11:35:00 AM »
Leonid...he'll be gone once it's pay-to-play.

'nuff said.

-Surfer
=<XXX>= Tres Equis
"If you're not having fun...you're doing something wrong"

TT

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 1999, 11:52:00 AM »
 Theater,s and book stores do not have the .squelch button that the gods so thoughtfully privided us with. I think this problem has already been solved.

BTW. I think  Ahhh-z-z-z-z Ahhh -z-z-z are donky noise,s. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is snoreing.

dawg

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 1999, 11:55:00 AM »
Hey surfer dewd; like kewl jams you got there buddy; like nice waves today dewd; like could you loan me $29.95 next month dewd?  

Oh, and btw TT I snore like an ass; so what of it?  

[This message has been edited by dawg (edited 11-02-1999).]

-towd_

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 1999, 11:56:00 AM »
i still love ya leonid  

and excelent post !

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 1999, 06:35:00 PM »
Dawg,
When in DOA I held you in high esteem. Evidently someone else is using your name in here. Totaly out of character I say!  Whomever is using Dawg's name please desist, you are being less than courteous, downright rude actually...

Good post Leonid, but not all appreciate what you have written, I do and obviously others do too.

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

-floo-

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 1999, 11:09:00 PM »
Hear hear leonid...I agree wtih you 100%

.ignore dawg

------------------
-floo- fangs out
333rd Red Dawgs
JG 5 Eismeer

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 1999, 01:05:00 AM »
I think it goes without saying, although it will be said in our terms of service.  While we want a lot of business, we don't want everybody's business.  There's plenty of folks out there who are more of a problem than they're worth.  

We want to spend our time on productive things, not problems with players.  If we have to do a lot of the latter, it costs us a lot of time and resources which equates to money.  Money that far outweighs a monthly subscription fee.  This applies not only to those whom many people seem to have a problem with, but also to those who seem to have a problem with many people.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 1999, 04:23:00 AM »
Pyro,

I understand.  Live and let live.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA