Author Topic: HO's ... good, bad, and ugly  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
HO's ... good, bad, and ugly
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2002, 03:46:14 PM »
The only thing I dont like about HO's is that there's people who KNOW they have average to bad connects and they abuse that by becoming dedicated HO'ers.

I know of some pilots in the MA that constantly and continously run or dive to get separation up to d3.0 or 4.0, and depending on their plane (turners do this earlier, maybe d2.0), then turn or loop and then come straight in a HO pass. If  they miss or their target barrel rolls to evade, they go straight foward and repeat this process. There is no attempt whatsoever to gain altitude, or gain angles or any kind of advantage. They just extend and turn to HO again..and again...and again.

And thanks to their bad connects, if you HO in return (after 6 runs like that you DO get fed up with it), you can ping them FIRST, with bigger guns than they have, ping them MORE.. and still they dont get damage or ze damage packets "get lost" resulting in your 4X20mm 190 being shot down by the 4X.50 cal p51 when both planes hit each other a lot on the HO pass.

Aside from that, I'll take ANY shot I can get. If the other guy is dumb enough to turn his nose towards me and I have the chance of hitting him, hey, its HIS fault, I had my nose towards him first mwahahah! :D :D

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2002, 05:14:58 PM »
I must admit in comparision to the majority of AH flyers my connect sucks, returning pings of around 250 - 270 most of the time. (56K dialup from across the pond, No cable, ASDL, Gas Mains sewage etc) it is generally very consistant though and if I have a problem it's always a big one. I don't see any real advantage from my end to someone with a broadband connection and a 60ms ping to AH. I think the HO is fairly easy to avoid if you really want to, Ever tried doing a HO on the drones offline, It aint easy.

Having said that as far as I'm concerned it's only a real HO if done on the 1st pass, After that unless the guy consistantly extends and comes at you again sooner of later a turn fight is going to find you face to face, You would be stupid not to take the shot.

TTFN
snafu

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2002, 09:30:59 PM »
When i'm in a mossie i HO all the time.  I've never been afraid to play chicken with someone when i have 4 nose mounted hispanos to back me up.:D

I actually shotdown two 190's winging together by HO's in the MA today (one of them took 2 HO passes).  The funny thing is that they both tried to avoid the HO, but all they did was give me a nice front quarter shot.

About 2 seconds later i got HO dweeb shouted at me over ch1. :D

MUFWAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
Definition of a HO
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2002, 04:19:56 PM »
When I lose, It was perpetrated by a cowardly no skill having dweeb pilot.

When I win, It is a historically tried and proven tactic so stop whining.

Offline LJK_KämpferAs

• Copper Member
      • http://www.demonz.co.nz
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2002, 01:23:06 AM »
If you have read Lephturn's stuff, you'll know how its quite ez to avoid, let them try to HO, and then kill them afterwards :)

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2002, 07:36:58 AM »
generally those that like to HO are greedy.Use that against them.Make them pull handsomehunked manouvers to get solution and kill all their energy.
I only consider it a HO if its a REAL HO. shots from 10oc/2oc or more require some skill to land and should not be frowned upon.
If the guy you are involved in a HO with was starting the engagement at lower E or Alt than you then YOU are the fool.

like its been said some aircraft need to use the HO in the MA. In a 190 you will find that if you are bounced the only shot your likely to get if you can reverse the situation is either a front quarter shot or an overshoot for a tail shot if youre real lucky.

The funniest thing i see is most that accept HO's are SPITS!! this is crazy as they can slip by a HO and reverse a lot faster and easier than most aircraft so the HO is far less necessary.

Heres something for you to try..... when the HO is coming from 1.5 or more in a pretty straight line put your recticle ahead of the approaching con and fire off a 2 second stream from just outside 900-1000 yards and pull out. Ive killed quite a few fools this way as i see them fly into the 'box' of bullets right under my dashboard. im well out off the way of their shots and its a lovely revenge. They end up doing the HO , not with you, but with a stream of 20mm :D.

try it.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2002, 07:55:54 AM »
Hazed, if I do that I just die more.  Beware that if you are flying straight and level at that range in a HO merge... you are a perfect target.  Sometimes it will work I'm sure... but you are still taking a bad risk IMHO.  Also I am not a good shot, so I try never to take them because I always lose. :)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2002, 11:31:36 AM »
When I first started AH over 2 yrs ago, it was my first online sim and I was of the strive to be "honorable, no HO, no vulch, no chute shooting" type.  I hated the Chog when it came out because timing the evasion was difficult in certain circumstances.  Sometimes the con would land a few shots no matter how hard you tried to evade the HO and it was over after that.  I guess I just learned to let it all go, since this is a game and you can't tell people how to spend their $15.  

If you've got the E-advantage and are not outnumbered and just go for HO's, you're missing out on a lot of options to kill the other guy.  

If you're losing your E-advantage trying to kill an angles fighter like a SpitV or Zeke, you should take whatever shot comes to you and then leave when you still can.  

ergRTC, I'll rarely HO things even though I don't care much about them anymore.  That evening it was just a bit frustrating when there were 4 axis pilots (hblair, eskimo, me, and forgot the other) and 11 allies all in one place.  It became more of a game of figuring out when to up a zeke or when to up a m16 since your cv group was very near offshore.  So I just decided to HO everything and take my chances.  I tried to HO the first 4 f6f's I saw, I think you were the fourth, before reversing and trying again.  Imagine that.. trying to HO f6f's in a zeke.  Glad you got your revenge, I can say I got mine after I jumped into our cruisers guns and sank all three of your cv's with eskimo's help.  Then allies can say they got theirs by capturing their field back and sinking our cg and cv.  And on and on...

Point is that this is a game.  No death penalty.  I know a lot of pilots will HO in certain situations and I don't blame them for that anymore.  Sometimes you should, sometimes you shouldn't.  I heard that another sim used a sort of invisible frontal shield on their a/c damage models to prevent HO's.  I don't think that should be the way things are done.   Let them fly the way they want.  

mauser

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2002, 01:34:29 PM »
what irks me on merges is that I'm usually running on a very low ping time with no variance.  I get great connections usually.   So I'm seeing the merge closer than what the other person is seeing it.  so it looks like I'm PAST him on my end, but I'm still right in front of him on his end.  It happened in an apparent overshoot on Sat night.  I'm chasing someone, and I see his buddy coming in so I roll outta the turn, I look up (down since I'm inverted) and he's there and gonna be out in front of my guns in second...  ping ping crack!  I'm going down????  There's no one else in guns range.  Maybe I just lagged on the damage packets, but I really think he was still behind me on his FE, while almost in my gunsight on my FE.  hehe, oh well, the net rules!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2002, 02:00:03 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
what irks me on merges is that I'm usually running on a very low ping time with no variance.  I get great connections usually.   So I'm seeing the merge closer than what the other person is seeing it.  so it looks like I'm PAST him on my end, but I'm still right in front of him on his end.  It happened in an apparent overshoot on Sat night.  I'm chasing someone, and I see his buddy coming in so I roll outta the turn, I look up (down since I'm inverted) and he's there and gonna be out in front of my guns in second...  ping ping crack!  I'm going down????  There's no one else in guns range.  Maybe I just lagged on the damage packets, but I really think he was still behind me on his FE, while almost in my gunsight on my FE.  hehe, oh well, the net rules!

Nifty is right.

This is something I wish everyone would realize and come to grips with. Unless you are playing on a LAN with your buddy next to you, you will experience some delay whether it's a result of your connection or the other guys it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2002, 02:12:15 PM by Exile »

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2002, 02:52:50 PM »
Cable/ISDN connect should not ever meet a HO. they will lose.

56k modems and lower, go for it.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2002, 04:51:14 PM »
Ahhh. I'm lookin fer my 'ol dusty and trusty sportster external... Ms Cleo sees a downgrade in my connect speed in my near future.

:)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2002, 03:27:51 AM »
I agree with all those, that hate HO's when the guy doing it has all other options at hand.

The worst HO's this way, come from LA7s and Spits.
I simply dont understand when anyone with speed and alt goes for the HO,  when he has all the chances to bleed my E and get me from dead 6.

In other situations i consider a HO a valid tactic, especially fo rplanes with hvy weapons (P47, Tiffie, A8 with 4 cannons), that lag some performance issues (like turn) and have to get everyshot they need.

In the defensive, it can be a desperate last move for any plane.

Also i found that evading the HO is very easy when you start it early enough (that requires experience on ur connet, abd ur usual lag). For me this is around D1.4-1.2, than i execute a barrel roll and if the guy still goes for the HO, he will need to pull some very bad Gs. Against higher nmes, i especially liek to dive to there 11 or 1 oc pos. If they go fo the HO, the pull neg G and will gain way more speed than they want. If they dont take it, i will have either enough speed to get seperation or to reverse into them once the go for the tail chase.

And cause i am flying mainly the FW190, i will very offen go for a front quarter shot. But i try to time it so that my tgt cant bring his guns inline with me. Those shots are as good as low angle tail shots, but they give you the advantage that you can usually fire at the engine.
If there si the likely chance my tgt will get around to bring his guns on me, i will not take the shot. Instead i will go for a new guns solution.

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2002, 02:48:19 AM »
WORST THING ABOUT AN HO is the whinner that lost.

don't like HOs ?  go play  Ms Pacman.

want to win most HO's ?  FIRE FIRST AND MOSTEST.

too slow to avoid an HO you say ....well then YOU screwed up.

wonder why some people only HO? most because they are new and know no other way, they aren't MASTERS that can't avoid a lousy HO like you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2002, 02:53:41 AM by AmRaaM »