Author Topic: Chute-shooting ack  (Read 174 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Chute-shooting ack
« on: February 24, 2002, 02:27:33 PM »
I saw a player lose it today and cuss on the open channel, after I had shot him down over our fleet.   He was enraged by the full volume of fleet ack that was targeting his chute.   He apparently is a newbie and thought there were people manning the fleet guns and targeting him.

I won't spend a lot of time pointing out how utterly ridiculous it is for an entire fleet's air defenses to open up on a single pilot hanging beneath his chute.    In real life they'd make an effort to capture and interrogate the downed pilot.

What I would like HTC to realize is how angry it made this chap, and probably other newbies as well.    It just doesn't make sense to me, to have a feature in the game when it has the potential to turn people off like this.   With a nod toward the Fat Drunk Bastards 'anything goes' attitude, I still think most people see the targeting defenseless chutes as poor sportsmanship.  

Players will be players, but do we really need such viciousness from the AI?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 06:14:41 AM »
What plane was he flying before he got shot down?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 07:11:11 AM »
He was flying a Ju-88.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 07:36:18 AM »
simple... chutes are considered aircraft on AH.  At least a target to shoot at like drunks falling out of the sky. :D

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 08:04:08 AM »
Ok, then his chute was not a legitimate target for the acks...  conclusion, the acks are stupid.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 08:09:48 AM »
lol Oboe. Thanks for this weeks first good laugh :)

While ack firing on a chute (with no effect) is lame so is someone losing it on the radio assuming it's al players zeroing in on HIM.

Westy

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 08:10:10 AM »
I logged in yesterday to find all of the ack at a field firing at a chute that had landed about 2K away.  About 4 fighters had a free for all at the field because all of the ack continued to try (unsucessfully) to kill this chute.  I upped a fighter to kill the chute and end this, but I got killed.  So I finally jumped into a field gunner position and killed the chute in about 5 seconds.

This is very frustrating on two levels.  The first being that ack can kill a fighter doing barrel rolls at 400 MPH, but it can't kill a chute on level ground 2K away.  The second being that the ack is stupid enough to favor shooting at a chute instead of the 4 fighters destroying the field.

OK, I thought of a third thing that pissed me off.  The fact that the player in the chute sat there "gaming the game" drawing ack fire (and getting credit for 10 kills in the process).

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Chute-shooting ack
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 10:48:28 AM »
Yeah, some people abuse the AI lameness and bail out at 6k over the field their mission is attacking so that the ack shoots at him all the way while his friends de-ack in safety.

AI should ignore the chutes imo. Player chutes that is. Maybe HTC could make the goon chutes be a "different" object or something.