Author Topic: Friday TOD - Reclaiming the Philippines - Frame Two - AARs  (Read 1203 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Friday TOD - Reclaiming the Philippines - Frame Two - AARs
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2002, 03:46:13 PM »
I think LJK would have been much better off if they had not taken the obvious direct course to the target, and instead followed the 56th on their more stealthy approach.  But they took the direct route and not surprisingly ran into an Axis interceptor force who used the devious tactic of flying towards the nearest enemy field.

LJK would also have been better off if they had used their vastly superior speed and diving ability to disengage from those Tonys instead of getting mixed up in a dogfight.

I think the frame CO is partly to blame.  If you have two squadrons hitting the same target from the same base, they should be put under command of a group leader.  That way they fly together and support each other much better than a pair of independent squadrons.  Instead, 56th FG orders said nothing about protecting LJK, so 56th focused (with much success) on carrying out their objective of destroying A1 airfield.

In addition, the side CO should have given both squadrons a route to the target that was better than the one used by LJK.  Heading straight for the nearest enemy field is a sure way to make contact with the enemy.

Finally there should have been some sort of briefing to explain to our pilots that the Jug can outrun the Ki-61 easily at any altitude.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2002, 03:55:41 PM by funkedup »

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2002, 04:00:29 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup

LJK would also have been better off if they had used their vastly superior speed and diving ability to disengage from those Tonys instead of getting mixed up in a dogfight.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this is what I was in the process of doing when we bought it. Once we realised how many of them there were, and at what alt, Kratzer gave the order to bug, and we bugged. My wingman and I were tail end charlie, and got beat in the footrace. They had too much of an alt advantage for us, since we had to drop ord and reverse course. One was saddled on my wingman, so i gave him a scare, thought I could finish him, and BOOM I was done. Not much Kratzer could have done differently to save Parsifal and myself.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2002, 01:57:22 AM »
Uhhhh....Funked...your sarcasm is duly noted....but we did not take the direct route to our target. In fact, we coordinated with the 56th prior to takeoff to ensure that neither of us took a direct route to target. We headed due NW towards their HQ and were set to then turn NE at a certain point. Unfortunately, the enemy decided to take the same route to their target. We also (well I did) extensive testing of our speed and capabilities versus our likely opponents. I informed everyone in the squad that we could outrun any Zeke without dropping ordnance and we could outrun any Tonys easily if we dumped our ordnance. Upon realizing we were facing Tonys, the order was given to dump ordnance, and we used our speed to race south out of harms way. We lost 1 pilot during this because he dumped his ord too late. Once we were all safe, we had 2 choices: Keep running, or do our best to defend our home field from the incoming strike. We decided we would do our best to defend it. In the middle of this, a second, higher flight of Tonys showed up and took away any altitude and energy advantage we had. As a result, we were vastly outnumbered and died quickly.

I appreciate your assumption that we are a bunch of handsomehunkes though.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2002, 02:11:49 AM »
LOL I guess I made an bellybutton out of U and ME.  :)
Sorry man.
Easy for me to talk about an engagement I never saw I guess.
I still blame the Frame CO!

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2002, 04:41:12 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
I still blame the Frame CO!

I am to blame then, since Ammo was unable to attend the TOD.

I saw an opportunity to use the LJK as fodder for the Ki61s.  They would be killed off but the Tonys would be distracted enough for us to make our strike and then they'd be weakened enough so they'd be easy pickings when we came back.  MUHAHAHA!!  :D

Seriously, I did tell the LJK CO that our two strike forces would take separate routes to the target--they went NW, we went NE.  The purpose of this was to maximize our chances of having one group get through to the target if the other was intercepted.  It could have easily been my group that was intercepted, and if that were the case I would have wanted the LJK to go on and carry out our orders.  No matter how much I might beg for help.  Really. :D

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2002, 06:29:12 PM »
I guess I approach these events with the primary objective being not getting a lot of us killed... it's with that idea in mind that I think it is better to have strong forces that can support each other if needed, and do the attack later if necessary... no biggie... just wish I'd taken some of the Ki61s with me.