Author Topic: Tips and tricks.  (Read 337 times)

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Tips and tricks.
« on: September 12, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
Guys
 In the spirit of moving on, I wana start this thread.

What are your favorite tricks or tips for surviving the arena?

Or tips on certain planes?

Or what you like to do before you go looking for a fight?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
Get used to the hat.  9/10 of deaths for me are either losing a target and not being on top of the views to reaquire, or drooling so hard closing on a target that I forget (or don't care) to check behind me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »
For surviving?

Very simple.  Fly a fast plane.  P-51D, La-7 or Fw190D-9 are best in my opinion.  They aren't the easist to kill in (and if you try forcing the issue you'll die a lot) but if you fly to their strengths you'll find your K/D ratio going up nicely.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mrniel

• Copper Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2001, 08:17:00 PM »
There are several tips and tricks, but the
single most important in my opinion is,
situational awareness.

mrniel2

highflyer

Tips and tricks.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
No disrepect.... but I really think you guys do not understand what is happening with this.

You are ready to move on?  :mad:

Not to say forget... but, I feel that there is NO greater TOPIC at hand right now.

THIS can be... and.... may be a start to a very bad future.

Does any of this come to your thoughts???

It is the VERY 2nd day, and still I think of the loss of lives.. all those who will never see thier waiting families here on earth again.

These People have been taken from this mortal life because of a great ignorance.

please do not let us ever forget this.
 :(

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »
highflyer
 No disrespect was intended, and we (I know I) will never forget what happened. BUT to dwell on it 24/7 is not healthy, we need to go on with our lives. That’s not saying forget it, not all. It’s saying put it away where it belongs until we have more info, or can do something about it. Life must go on, to sit and stop functioning over this is to let those bastards win. I will not let them effect my life anymore then they have. They will not have that power over me. Not even holding a gun on me.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: GTORA2 ]

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gtoraii:
What are your favorite tricks or tips for surviving the arena?

Or tips on certain planes?

Or what you like to do before you go looking for a fight?

Stay fast, stay high, keep checking your six and don't engage more red guys than you have green guys with you.  :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Fly with a wingman or better yet several squaddies.

Have enough discipline in the group so that some are always high when others are fighting low.

Know that sooner or later the "it's time to get out of here" light will start flashing. Pay attention to that light.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2001, 02:21:00 AM »
DO use the RADAR (in the Main Arena).  When you are in range of a friendly field, it gives you almost complete knowledge of what is going on around you.  When you are out of range of friendly RADAR, it still can help too.  If you see some dots at the edge of a fight, and you check the RADAR and there are no friendlies showing at that bearing, then you know they are bandits.  If you keep an eye on all the dots that are visible, and another eye on the RADAR, it's almost impossible to get bounced.

DON'T put an enemy field between yourself and home.  If you get low you are going to have a hard time getting home.  Even if you kill all the bandits they will just respawn at the field, and you have to get through them to get home.

DO accelerate to corner speed, point your nose towards home, and climb after an engagement.  Reset your energy and get in a better position in case something bad happens.  Once you have your SA and E back, go hunting again.

DO drag enemies towards home.  If you get in trouble and have to run for it, you have a much better chance of surviving if you do that.  There are usually more friends there and there's always the AAA if you are truly desperate.  Also you give your friends a better chance of surviving when they come to clear you.  Unless you are my wingman or squaddie I am not going to die to clear you.  So you better make smart choices if you want help.  Leave me an escape route if things go sour.

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2001, 03:17:00 AM »
Get off the AH Main board highflyer. This aint CNN.

Learn to BNZ, turn and burn is a 1V1 tourney skill most real WWII pilots ignored.

Why did the Hellcat pilots have the best K/D ratio ever in combat? Cause they played the game/war properly. Boom, Zoom, use advantage kill Zekes.

Cool reading, reality.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2001, 05:26:00 AM »
Stay away from Mitsu too !  ;)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
I typcially try to elude my pursuer by diving straight into the ground or pulling one of my infamous "disappearing" tricks by blowing up in front of them.

Westy

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
LOL
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Gtoraii

• Zinc Member
Tips and tricks.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
WOW great tips guys, any plane specific tips?