Author Topic: Is Axis prepared to be wiped from face of earth?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Is Axis prepared to be wiped from face of earth?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2002, 11:02:13 AM »
Seeing as squad registration garantees niether ability nor parity - why continue with it?

The "no walk ons rule" has always been justified by saying that TOD's are too complex for walk ons to master, yet apparently the same walk ons can master an entire full scenario.

Is it not time this ruling was reconsidered? What benefit is the rule giving?

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2002, 11:08:34 AM »
The answer is the squads flying Axis this time were UNDER their numbers and the squads flying Allied were OVER their numbers.  Now it wasn't every single squad that was, but in one frame, 5 Allied squads were over (and none under) and 4 Axis squads were under (and none over).

Ghstdncr, I pretty much did use the average of what the squads had been doing in previous TODs.  For example, the AKs were only listed at 7-10, but I treated them as 16-20 for balancing.  Squads were blowing away their past actual numbers, not just their commitments.  The CM team is discussing the matter on the CM forum.  A solution will more than likely be in place before the next TOD sides are announced.

The solution to the Zeke problem is no more JABOing fleets.  The American fighters can out dive any of the Japanese fighters.  The Ki-61 can have some stability in a dive, but the N1K and the Zeke get very stiff, very quickly in a dive.  It's very easy to dive and outrun them to target and then extend away from N1Ks and Zekes.  So in future TODs, fleet attacks should be carried out by TBMs only on the Allied side.  We have the plane in the planeset, we should use it for what it's designed for.   The Hellcats and Corsairs can still be used to JABO land targets, where Ki-61s can possibly cover.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2002, 07:53:02 PM »
Nim, Curly, we flew JP in every other PTO TOD. I've never seen the lopsided numbers this bad before. Something broke down this time for some reason. Yes, it sucks getting ganged...but it happens to everyone sooner or later. Last frame we ran into the AK cloud of Ki61s and lost our whole squad in like 2 minutes. There were at least 16 of you....and you're registered for 7-10. This is the problem. People commit for a number, but then they either bring too many, or not enough. I know people might not want to fly because of a certain planeset...but if you commit to a number, then you need to produce the folks. On the flip side, if you commit x number of people and all of a sudden x+5 of your folks want to fly, you need to do something about that too. Blame lies on both sides of that situation.

And yes, it is very bad form to come in here and gloat about something like this Nefarious.

TODs are just about the best part of AH, so whatever it takes to fix it I support!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2002, 07:56:25 PM by Raubvogel »

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2002, 11:48:17 PM »
Raub,

I'm not sure what you are referring to ... but last frame the AK's were wiped out.  We have been wiped out within the first 15-30 min in each and every TOD.  

But you are right, we do need to update our registration.  The 7-10 number was such because we were also were registered for the Saturday TOD.  Since we have withdrawn from it, we need to update our #'s.

Nim

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2002, 12:24:25 AM »
Well... he's referring to you upping 18 planes when you are registered for 7 - 10, and even though we were on the winning side, we got destroyed very, very quickly when our 6 or 7 guys ran into your 18 - game over for us.

No, you aren't the only ones, but the point that illustrates is that it isn't just a one way street, and it easily could fall the other way, and has in the past.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2002, 12:28:41 AM »
Originally posted by Raubvogel

And yes, it is very bad form to come in here and gloat about something like this Nefarious.

TODs are just about the best part of AH, so whatever it takes to fix it I support!

Something like what????

You guys are hysterical!!, TOD's are fun and exciting, and i applaud everyone that flies in them! You guys just dont like friendly compeitiveness<
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2002, 10:30:27 AM »
Originally posted by Nefarious

Something like what????

You guys are hysterical!!, TOD's are fun and exciting, and i applaud everyone that flies in them! You guys just dont like friendly compeitiveness<

TOD's have been great fun. We have to find a way to balance the numbers though or they will become a thing of the past and we'll all be "sore losers".

One method is to simply switch a squad or two at the beginning of a frame when it becomes clear the numbers are imbalanced. The AK's volunteered and did this on a Saturday TOD joining the still heavily outnumbered side. This creates a lot of problems but is more fun than fighting with/against 2-1 odds.

I certainly don't speak for any AK other than myself but if the trend continues I won't.

Edited: Another possible solution occured to me. Rotate all squads through a standby status. I don't mean standby in the sense that they may or may not fly. I mean they won't know which side they'll fly with and they'll not be privy to either sides orders until 10 mins or so before TOD start time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2002, 11:13:53 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2002, 01:42:14 PM »
Kratzer,

I said Raub was right and that we needed to update our squad registration to accurately reflect what we were bring in.  I also think the problem lies in the orders given to the squads.  We have an alternative target to hit, A4.  You guys defended it like it was the primary target (and I realize you guys have no way of knowing).  But when a squad is assigned to hit an alternative target, generally you dont expect to run into 2 squads defending it.  There are solutions to this problem, we just need to find 'em.

Nefarious,

You are absolutely correct.  We are here expressing our concerns because we are sore losers.:rolleyes:   If I were one of the allied squads that upped a 10 strong squad and didnt encounter a single enemy, I would be here expressing concerns as well.  But then probably just because I would be a sore winner.  

And another thing.  If the Allies had "whopped ass" on even terms, and just outflown the Axis, I have no problem with runnin' the mouth.  Your right, just competive juices.  There is one thing that was missing from your gloat - competitive.  What you did was like Michael Johnson racing a man on crutches in the 100 meter dash, and the bragging about winning.  

Oh well, I forget it takes all kinds of ppl to make up an online community.  I need to accept that.

Nim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2002, 01:45:18 PM by aknimitz »

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2002, 07:55:49 PM »
First off, Nefari posted before the last frame, so he didn't know the numbers would be so lopsided.

As to the issue of numbers, I've been on both sides of "ass whoopings" where one side is shorthanded and the other side brings a lot of guys.  It's not fun for either side.  Fortunately it is not a problem all that often.  But I support the CMs in trying to find ways to keep the numbers in balance.

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2002, 08:01:38 PM »
Funked,

The numbers have been so lopsided for each Frame in the Phillipines TOD.

Nmi

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2002, 08:08:18 PM »
Yer right Nim.
But I think some guys interpreted it as post-Frame 3 chest beating, which it wasn't.  It was pre-Frame 3 chest beating, a lesser charge.  :)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2002, 08:10:55 PM »
LOL

:D

Nim

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2002, 02:37:22 PM »
LOL funked!