Author Topic: Having fun with vehicles?  (Read 395 times)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Having fun with vehicles?
« on: March 06, 2002, 11:08:08 AM »
I jumped into a half-track this weekend for the first time and it was very boring.  I wanted to get into some action but it takes forever to travel anywhere and u have to hold the joystick in the foward position to move foward.  Can u "spawn" close to the enemy so you don't have to travel so far and is the a way to move without holding that joystick foward always?????  Any general tips for having fun without having to travel forever (vehicles or pt boats)?????

Offline Artix

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 11:36:49 AM »
28sweep,

I mapped the throttle on the ground vehicles to my throttle control slider on my joystick.  That took care of always having to press the joystick up.

As far as action for PT boats..Just watch where our carriers are and if they are near an enemy town then you should find some planes to shoot at. If the carrier isnt real close to a enemy town you are just wasting your time spawning there.

I've never drove a ground vehicle so I dont know what to tell you there.

Artix

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 11:38:32 AM »
You actually don't have to hold the stick forward to move, just to accelerate.  Once you get going to a speed you like, either switch to the gunner station and steer using your rudder, or just let go of the stick.

I prefer using the gunner station, since it usually gives you a better all around view, plus the vehicle will accelerate back to whatever speed was 'set' when you switched after you lose speed in a turn.

Offline phentop

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2002, 12:54:27 PM »
I posted on this subject in the past. The ground game of AH would be a lot better if you could be dropped from a plane by
parachute close to an enemy base. If you have ever tried to go from one base to another by ground forget it!!!! 2 hours later your still not their then when you reach it  shoot down 1  2  3
maybee even more you get shot and die and have to start from
2 hours away again... Not very fun...

Theirs no way to spawn close - you have to make the long ride

Hope they add someway to P-chute ground vehicles in closer to
enemy bases - sure would split up some of the action.., but they
dont call the game Aces HIGH for nuttin... would be nice though!!

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2002, 05:35:23 PM »
There are spawn points close to other bases.  BUT not ALL bases.
From the spawn point you can usually find a fight within a few minutes unless the area is deserted.  If its deserted it may take you 10 minutes or so before you can engage the enemy base.

Some you can, some you can't

SKurj

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 09:21:28 AM »
being on the M3 "team" for the 418 I can tell you that driving used to be fun. They killed it with the rock and trees blowing up your ride. however you can still have a good time if you find an nme base under attack then find an allied ajsent base. When you "take off" look at the runway placement. Don't just click on the "H". if their's one pointing towards the other base it will spawn you very close to the base under attack. Some maps have alot of these, some don't.

Happy hunting and remember to always lead your target more that you think you should.

Offline tarra

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2002, 01:04:15 PM »
HI!!

I have the same feelings about Land warfare in AH.As it is is useless.I dont understand why HT doesnt make tanks and other vehicles faster and easy climbing ,hills!!!
Have you ever played iPanzer or Panzer commander pc games??
Why is not possible having something like that here???
Is not that difficult!!
Have more types of tanks(w different haracteristiks),more easily driven ,external view,faster on roads,better aiming system...etc etc
Panzer commander had about 48 different tanks ,w different character each ,speed ,gun angle,climbing ability,gun turning speed ..etc....have u ever played panzer battles in Playstation??
Is an excellent game
We could also have artillery,machine guns ,bazookas,mortars
Imagine 20 -30 stukas atacking 80 tanks in russian steppes!!!Also naval warfare needs much improvement....cvs its too difficult to kill w torps ,,what about subs ,anti sub aircraft,  destryers against subs..etc etc....NAVAL guns aiming is Crap

Also training arena needs alot!!
Warbirds training arena is much better....w smarter drones
We should be able choose starting alt,and other options,have cv without acks,sinkable to practice,more destroyable targets,moving drones forland vehicles etc etc

What is your opinion???

Cheers Tarras:)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2002, 01:33:44 PM »
Ya, alot was suppost to be done but hitech then cam out and said the AH is a flight sim primarily.. so they dumped alot of their plans :(

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Having fun with vehicles?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2002, 06:18:04 AM »
Originally posted by 28sweep
Can u "spawn" close to the enemy so you don't have to travel so far and is the a way to move without holding that joystick foward always?????  Any general tips for having fun without having to travel forever (vehicles or pt boats)?????
As others have mentioned, there are usually spawn points which will take you nearer to the action.... however, the number and closeness to other fields varies with each terrain.  The best ones are in the Baltic and SFMA (the one with the lake, commonly called "uterus" :D).  NDIsles has them, but often a bit further away, and the worst terrain for vehicle spawn points (mainly due to the mountains) is Mindanao.  However, I always managed to have fun in all of the terrains.... my favourite vehicle pastime is to up at a field under heavy attack and make my way to the town - once you get moving, jump to the main gun position and have a good look around on the way.  

Don't forget, you can still steer in the gun position by using rudders, so if you see trees looming quickly just use rudder to steer around them... no need to waste precious time going to the driver position... if someone starts to attack, have a quick look ahead to make sure your way is clear if possible before fighting back.  Once I arrive at a town, I usually park up with a good view of the maproom ready to shoot any troops which may be on their way in.

It's also worth remembering, especially if you are in an M3 with troops, that you might not have been seen - don't draw attention to yourself by firing at an enemy unless you are sure it is attacking.  You have more chance of hitting them if you can see they are definitely diving in towards you.  :)

My personal favourite Ground Vehicle is the Ostwind - if the upper gun turret gets destroyed, there is still the hull gun which is extremely effective, but with a limited view point in the direction the vehicle is facing (from driver's perspective).  If you are still able to move, use rudders to turn the vehicle towards attacking planes;  otherwise, I can often still get kills on attackers who come in from behind and fly over my head into my hull gun range.  :D

You also mention PT boats, which are another favourite of mine.  Best tip I know for those is if you see a plane definitely attacking you, go to gun position 6 - in most cases it will knock them out of the sky with only one or two bursts from that powerful gun.  As with vehicles, look at alternative spawn points - the Baltic is an excellent terrain for remote PT boat spawn points and worth experimenting with.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun