Author Topic: Bf 109 engine startup sounds  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Bf 109 engine startup sounds
« on: March 11, 2002, 07:32:26 AM »
I think I've figured out where to insert and mix-in the high pitched ignition "wrrrrrrrrm" sound within the current engstar.wav file used by Mitsu's Sound Collection.

Those who have played IL-2 would recognize what this "wrrrrrm" sound is :) After first ignition, the props move very slowly for about 1 rotation.. and suddenly, with fumes from exhaust pipes, the props and engines fire up at once with a high pitched "wrrrrrrrm!" sound.

After many tries, I think I finally have it. Sounds nice, and matches naturally with what you see visually. The point where props really begin to spin this sound is audible :)

Unfortuantely, I don't have a webspace to post the sounds I have edited. If anyone is interested, I will send it to you via e-mail(kweassa@yahoo.co.kr) :) Also, if anyone with webspace can kindly can receive the files by e-mail and post it here.. I'd much appreciate it.

ps) There are some other planes which use the DB601... C.202 and Ki-61 come into my mind. Can anyone clarify if the high pitched sound is something typical of 109s, or the engine itself?

Offline Tracer-15

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/drenched15/mypage.html
DB601
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 06:28:30 PM »
ahh yes the DB601........fuel injected....but this wasnt why it made that sound........you said when it shot out lots of fumes from the exhaust............you need to remember.....the DB601 was SUPERCHARGED......that wrrrrrmmm sound was the supercharger winding up...since the engine was not a high power,..the charger was at a low RPM....but when throttle was increased.....the low whining sound turned into a screech.... ....look at the upper left corner of the engine.....supercharger

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 11:04:46 PM »
Kweassa, you can just attach the sound to this thread.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2002, 01:21:49 AM »
No can do, Kratzer.

The attachment supports only few specific file types.

And the size of *.zip compressed files are larger than the attachment
 allows :(

I'm gonna send these to you Eagler, plz send me a mail if you got them.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 01:30:17 AM »
Kweassa,i would like em,mailto steely07@iprimus.com.au...oh and you could share it in your yahoo briefcase :)...6mb free
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2002, 08:11:50 AM »
Here are Kweassa's sounds:

109F4 Start Up

109G10 Start Up

109G2 and 109G6 Start Up

Thanks Kweassa. They sound great.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline flybywire

• Zinc Member
Sounds
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2002, 04:51:41 PM »
I just downloaded the 109 engine strt up sounds. Can I use them in AH for the given 109 type? Or are these just a sample of what a real 109 sounds like?

Offline Tracer-15

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/drenched15/mypage.html
not exactly right
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2002, 05:48:49 PM »
well....they do sound good.....BUT......the wrrrmm.....would wrrrrmm up......not go WRRRmmm......would have been more like wrrRRMM.......good though

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2002, 09:39:32 PM »
flybywire, of course you can. I made it specifically for that purpose, remeber :) ? The files are named F4engstart.wav, G2G6engstart.wav and G10engstart.wav. Rename them all into just "engstart.wav" and place them in correct folders. For instance, rename F4engstart.wav to engstart.wav and place it in ProgramFiles/HTC/Aceshigh/souns/109f4.

Tracer, what are your grounds on that assumption? I'm not arguing or anything, just that I have never listened to an actual startup sequence of 109s. All I did was try to depict in AH what I've heard in IL-2, and judging by the detail put into Maddox's game, I naturally assumed that it'd be correct :) What I've heard there was high pitched WWWWWWRrrrrrrm fading out just as props engaged. If there is any better reason or source behind your assumption, I'll try to fix it accordingly. It's pretty easy once I got the hang of Goldwave sound editor :)

ps) by the way, thx for the post. Can I assume, then, since the high-pitched sound is from the engine itself, that Ki-61, C202s and C205s can all use the same sounds??