Author Topic: Time to cancel 1.09 release  (Read 535 times)

Offline Master

• Zinc Member
Time to cancel 1.09 release
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2002, 12:40:38 PM »
"better yet go play warbirds 8P"

was that a joke? if so you have a poor taste of humor.

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2002, 12:53:31 PM »
Perhaps if the release came during other than prime time would have helped to.   It is frustrating to wait on so long for a 2 minute download.

Maybe if the broadband guys had some time without the slow connection guys cloggin up the works for 30 min or so.  Alot of broadband guys could be in and out of the server in a hurry, freeing up more server space for everyone else faster.  As it was everyone was waiting a long time, even those who could have been in and out in 2 minutes.

Alternatively they could limit the number of simultaneous connections allowed, letting the server load up till it quits running left alot of people with broken downloads.

(Those with installation errors - verify the file size is correct.)

Another idea is to post the update a day before the arena switches over to it.  (I was more dissapointed at not being able to fly last night than how slow the 1/09 DL was.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2002, 12:57:25 PM by WBHoncho »

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2002, 01:00:31 PM »
Originally posted by Master

He wont like that either, Warbirds download is somewhere between 80-100 megs.  AH download size is very tiny compared to other sims :)

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2002, 01:03:14 PM »
Well I first tried the auto download, was gonna be to long, and stopped to Think....went to the mirror site & download took 2 min & 17 seconds. In amount of time took to make this post you could have Thought & figured out an alternative.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2002, 01:14:35 PM »
Originally posted by Master

no iwas telling him if he didnt like it go play WB... more like tellin him to get lost ...........38

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2002, 01:51:01 PM »
I think the answer would have been to release the update to several servers and players who are willing to post the update for others to download.

simHq and several long term AH customers are often more than willing to do this and it would certainly speed things up.

I spend 4 HOURS trying to use the auto updater, (whilst watching TV to help kill the frusration) got connected but was estimated at 202 minutes!! with 900 bytes per sec!! thats the absolute worst ive seen from HTCs auto updater. But I think this was due to the fact that when i went to HTCs download page it was still offering 1.87 as the latest update!?

However eventually i got it in 3 MINUTES from a customer who posted it on his website.

ALSO and this is the saving grace for me.When i eventually did get on AH with the new update installed and mentioned the 4 hour wait HT read what i said and said 'hazed sorry for the screw up'. Hey thats cool eh? the actual programmers are there and they are working like slaves to please us and they take time to appologise for their mistake.I personally couldnt hold a grudge after that :D

so HTC , ya made 'fubar' but hell we forgive ya :D

fantastic update yet again!!!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2002, 02:04:16 PM »
Well hazed,..it will be a few days before I can even attempt to get 1.09!

Ya see,..all those auto-updaters are chewing my bandwidth up and spittin it out.  Heck,..even if I could get the file, I would not be able to connect to the MA due to the congestion from the auto-updater guys.  LOL!

So you guys think you're frustrated?  You have no idea what that word means. :D

Oh,..if you were seeing 1.87 on the download page, it is because your ISP is running a cahing proxy WEB server and you are getting the pages from it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2002, 02:32:52 PM »
don't use the auto updater go to:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/

and pick one of the Downloads.  

This would not have helped you during primetime last night however, it was still faster than auto updater.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2002, 02:34:35 PM »
Uh Honcho,..you do not understand.  I am on the other side of the clogged pipes from the auto-updater.  The download file is at the other ISP and I cannot get to it due to my pipes being 100% occupied by auto-updaters.

I have to admit it is somewhat ironic. lol.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2002, 02:36:02 PM »
don't use the auto updater go to:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/

and pick one of the Downloads.  

This would not have helped you during primetime last night however, it was still faster than auto updater.

Here are DIRECT DL links for you:

Full Version-

http://planet1.planetcobalt.com/~hitech/AH109.EXE

or

http://ftp://ftp.swbell.net/private/hmason/AH109.EXE

Update Version-

http://planet1.planetcobalt.com/~hitech/AH1086T109.EXE

or

http://ftp://ftp.swbell.net/private/hmason/AH1086T109.EXE

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2002, 02:41:50 PM »
Ok Honcho,..one more time.  I am the ISP that hosts all the arenas, except the MA.

The auto-updater file comes from my service (AppLink).  Right now we at AppLink are into 18 hours of 100% congestion on our pipes to the Internet.  In order for me to get one of those files at any other site, I have to be able to get to the Internet to download it.

I cannot as my pipes are 100%+ utilized by HTC clients using the auto-updater as opposed to going to a WEB site and dowloading it directly.

I do find this very ironic that the ISP hosting AH cannot get the update due to congestion.  I wish we had our new pipes here.  This is getting to be a long ordeal running at 100%+ congestion.

I just have to laugh about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2002, 02:45:34 PM »
Himmmm?  Panther just joined the Forum this month and this is his third post but he got 25 solid bites for far.   That's pretty Damn good!   I don't think he's beginner.....

Offline WBHoncho

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2002, 02:46:14 PM »
Previous messages were not directed to any one person (did I reply to you by mistake?)

Originally posted by Skuzzy
Ok Honcho,..one more time.  I am the ISP that hosts all the arenas, except the MA.

The auto-updater file comes from my service (AppLink).  Right now we at AppLink are into 18 hours of 100% congestion on our pipes to the Internet.  In order for me to get one of those files at any other site, I have to be able to get to the Internet to download it.

I cannot as my pipes are 100%+ utilized by HTC clients using the auto-updater as opposed to going to a WEB site and dowloading it directly.

I do find this very ironic that the ISP hosting AH cannot get the update due to congestion.  I wish we had our new pipes here.  This is getting to be a long ordeal running at 100%+ congestion.

I just have to laugh about it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2002, 02:47:37 PM »
lol honcho,..it was under my post, so I thought you were responding to me.

Maybe I am getting delirious?  lol
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Panthor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2002, 04:39:33 PM »
Okay.. after 4 hours or so HTC cleaned up the servers and it actually downloaded in less than 3 minutes.  Thanks to everyone with constructive feedback.

As to Crash, Tumor, and 38ruk, your comments were witty, insightful, and especially helpful for individuals of unique intelligence and social etiquette.  Your stature within the game and the AH community is obviously enhanced by your comments and the level of maturity you displayed.

Thanks one and all

Panthor

p.s. I'm not exactly a rookie having played AW since 1991 and FA, Also, after playing this game only 2 1/2 months I'm ranked in the top 50.