Author Topic: When the CT is enabled  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
When the CT is enabled
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2002, 12:38:58 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
Problem is you don't know if the dots are friendlies or enemies.  Count me as somebody that hates wasting time chasing a dot 15 miles to find out it was a friendly.

Well, historically, communications were the way to determine. "Dots, 12 o'clk!"..."That's Blue flight sir, disregard"....
Now that we have VOX and anyone in that area hears the communications, it should make ID easier.

Besides, once you get used to it, you can determine friendly dots from enemy by reflection and color, and the Friendlies icons show up at D6.0, the enemy doesn't show up til D3.0.  It just takes a few sorties to get used to it.  Can't say I've ever wasted time flying to a furball of dots and not encountered an enemy in them.

I'd like to see a MISSION STATEMENT from the CM"s of the CT arena, I thought we were going to keep this arena as historical as possible, AWACS is not keeping to that mission statement "I thought" was the plan...anyway, if the AWACS crutch was set up to,say, every minute or 2 min., I could see it helping to find the fight, yet not allowing some folks to use it as a crutch (no, not speaking of you Leph! :) )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2002, 12:48:41 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
When the CT is enabled
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2002, 04:01:47 PM »
Fellas, we'll keep it in the spirit of what we have now. There'll be enough info for you to know the area where the fight is, but not know exactly where the enemy plane is, except of course directly above a friendly base (dot radar range is 10 miles) with undamaged radar. We'll work with the new warning system and find a setting that is in keeping with what we've been doing in the past.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
When the CT is enabled
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2002, 11:21:19 AM »
"Well, historically, communications were the way to determine. "Dots, 12 o'clk!"..."That's Blue flight sir, disregard"....
Now that we have VOX and anyone in that area hears the communications, it should make ID easier."

AFAIK, the "range" voice comm only includes players in icon range.  I can usually identify friend from foe by the color of the icon.  ;)

As for communication in the CT, I don't see it being any better than the MA.  Maybe worse.  I logged on last night, say "hello", ask for a country voice channel, and get.......nothing.  Stayed about an hour, and the only communication I saw was from a few guys grabbing fields away from the action.  Nobody calling enemy positions or altitudes.

Until people understand the value of communication, I'd like to have dot dar as a replacement.  Set the update rate to a value that will prevent AWACS SA, maybe 20 or 30 seconds, and give it a try.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?