Author Topic: warbirds gets hacked alot  (Read 917 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
warbirds gets hacked alot
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
ROTFLMAO!  HS must have to special order hats big enough to fit on his head.  I always love it when someone uses figures that he "can't disclose" in an argument.  I especially like the "they just disappear" statement... is there really a "hacker" gustapo out there?  Do they really come to your house?

As for the initial question... open source for an on-line flight sim?  What a question.

AKDejaVu

Hmm are u sayin WB's should publish that their software has been hacked X number of times...  WB's does pretty well at self strangulation as is...

SKurj

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »

Hmm are u sayin WB's should publish that their software has been hacked X number of times...

Nope.  Maybe saying "People have attempted to crack Warbirds" and leaving it at that would have been fine.  "We're hacked daily" but "we can't disclose how often" is pretty damn funny.

The whole thing puts me in mind of Special Forces troops in the United States' military.  If you talk with them... their job sounds so exciting and cool.  If you work with them... you find out the truth.

WB's does pretty well at self strangulation as is...

You probably won't get many disagreeing with this statement on either the AH site or the AGW site.

AKDejaVu

eye

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
I found it pretty cool they would admit that people try to hack wb. I give them points for being honest.
The discussion i though was about players ,the community  makeing planes /teraines or tanks and stuff. Custom artwork?
The reason they did not want a whole lot of it for wb3 was because they didnt want ufo's running around.
Could not a user made program have a back door ?
To get your password or something?
I forget who said it but yes i would love to know if this is possible or how people do it?
Do they try to just fly for free?
Has anyone ever been caught with a hot rod plane?

Westy btw this post was for you i hope you read the article.

EYE

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2000, 02:58:00 PM »
It all depends on what you want to be customizable.  If they allow the users to make terrain... just what hacks will be possible?  If they allow the users to design the aircraft... what hacks will be possible?

I think HTC is moving in the right direction with the terrain editor.  Doing any more than that in the on-line format would not be advisable.

By the way... noticing a comment in a previous post... the Warbirds anti-hacking code does not allow the player in.  While hacking may be attempted... it was not prevelant in the game.

AKDejaVu

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2000, 04:01:00 PM »
People attempt to hack WB on a daily basis, I know becasue I personally talked to Jay about it.

He says that hackers attempt several times DAILY and they catch people red handed weekly and ban people. Except for the two or so publicly caught people, they do not announce who is banned. Those people just 'dissapear' from the online skies.

dosequis

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2000, 04:17:00 PM »
There were (and probably are) a bunch of warp cheats for WB that I bet work pretty well in AH. I don't use them. Last night Jinx and I ran into a couple of Spits that did a little warp dance once it was clear they were about to die. We just flew off and left them there.

Probably just encourages them to cheat more, but really who the diddly cares? Pretty soon they'll get bored because warp cheat or no, they can't legitimately grab anyone's 6.

As for hacking the flight model itself, that's gotta be really tough. Hex editor or no, SoftICE or no, that can't be easy. Not to mention that the code self-checksums the models and checks against the server for things like ammo not decrementing. Of course, some can't resist the challenge. But they aren't pilots. They're hackers, and this game is no different to them than Interstate 76. Mastering the game is a drag for them, they'd rather diddly it up for everyone and show how smart they are.

BTW, I remember the first time I logged into an I76 server and saw a caddy with something like 12 missle launchers on it and unlimited ammo which couldn't be killed. I must have toyed with it (and died to it) about 2 dozen times. Then I logged out and de-installed the game from my Hard drive since I finished single player, and noted that Activision wrote toejam multiplayer code and to avoid their stuff in the future.

Same goes for Diablo II. I read the newsgroups and NOBODY wants to play D2 on battle.net because of the hacking fiasco that was D1. A big reason why I think Blizzard added direct TCP/IP play.

If I find out that AH is seriously hacked, I'm just going to organize a 4v4 server league with people I trust until it's fixed. I have confidence that if anybody can cut that toejam out, it's HT, whose multiplayer position code has a whoopee patent.

XX
Swearing so much I'm becoming DoK.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
You must make the distinction between ATTEMPTED hacking, an actual in-game hack and a cheat.

So far as I know, there is no in-game hacking in AH or WB, even though, as HS said, there are a lot of attempted hacks.  HTC will not say anything about it, I bet, but I am sure they have the same problem with attempts, if not more than WB because of the 2 week trial.  Who cares, they don't get in, so it is a moot point on attempted hacks.

In-game cheats are there, in any game, it is a matter of the community policing itself, as this one and the WB community do so well, the occasional witch hunt not withstanding.

Lizking

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2000, 05:38:00 PM »
Supposedly WB host checks your FE for hacks and if it finds any, it doesn't allow you online.  There is also a way for the guys at iEN to "interrogate" your system manually in some way, which is how they apparently detect your hacking directly.  I was actually online once when someone was "caught" and ejected (but not kicked out of the game completely). The only fairly public instances I'm aware of involved guys hacking not the FE, but the network interface system itself, enabling, among other things, armament to be changed so that, for example, your otto tail gunner is firing a 37mm cannon with laser accuracy at your head.  It was also supposedly possible to send damage packets not related to actual damage inflicted, such as "destroy all parts of target aircraft now." Slight advantage there, eh?  

Seems to me it would be kinda stupid to explain the workings of either the hack detection system or the hack prevention system, wouldn't it?  Sorta like explaining all the different alarm systems in your house.  

As for how prevalent cheating is, well, right now AH has the advantage of being a happy little family where everyone just wants to be virtual pilots and say "good fight!" on common channel and drink beer and stuff.  But, assuming the game becomes the top online flight sim and has thousands of customers, you're gonna see a LARGE percentage of that customer base to whom the "mystique of WW2 air combat" is WAAAAY secondary to the mystique of "winning" and "keeeeling" other players.

And if you don't think a significant percentage of those guys are going to be willing AND able to "cheat," well, I'd say you're being a bit naive.  I'd even hazard a guess that some of the guys ejected from WB are even now working on "cracking" AH.  And I wouldn't expect to hear much out of HTC on the nature of their preventative measures...

--jedi

------------------

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
 These crys of cheat crack me up. If you went to a basketball game, and team A put 5 players on the floor. And team B put 15 out there. You would probably think B was cheating pretty bad. In this game nobdy thinks twice about gang banging (the biggest cheat of all).

Before they dumbed down the guns. You had a fighting chance against 2 or 3 cons. Now all they have to do is pick at you til your dead. Just like WB.

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 07-05-2000).]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2000, 07:40:00 PM »
Easymo-If I gave you a million bucks in twenty dollar bills, you would piss and moan because they weren't in 100's.  Get a grip, man.

Hazed

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2000, 11:58:00 PM »
easymo you are mad  
what do you think happened in RL?..john wayne woulda shot all 3 down of course but if im bounced by 3 planes i expect to lose.
you obviously think your so good they ought to surrender  

and he asked for 10 dollar bills....

eye

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2000, 02:56:00 AM »
Wow nice posts guys.
Very informative its nice to see people with knowledge that will share it.
Its also nice not to be verbaly attacked for bringing the subject up.

One more thing? What if you have a guy who wants to dump your connect? or to increase your delay.

In aw3 i had a guy who liked to play this game with me. How did he do it?
Anybody? How do you defend yourself? Are there any defenses?

EYE

funked

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2000, 03:01:00 AM »
Guys, Easymo (correct me if I'm wrong TT/Slate/Easymo) is not interested in WW2 simulations.  If it detracts from his personal gameplay likes and dislikes, he's against it, regardless of any historical factors.  Why he doesn't play TIE Fighter Vs X-Wing is beyond me.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 07-06-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2000, 03:17:00 AM »
Xwing alliance rocks funked

dont underestamate the power of the far fetched side  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
How very strange you should moan about cheating in that context, seems its been going on for years and both Allies and Axis cheated if the recollections of Feldwebel Fritz Buchholz (II/JG6) is anything to go by, he gangbanged a bunch of P38's from the 394th Sqdrn only to be gangbanged himself by the US re-inforcements...damn cheats!