Author Topic: Philosophy 101: Snoop Dog Rulz  (Read 523 times)

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
Philosophy 101: Snoop Dog Rulz
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2002, 06:10:48 AM »
Originally posted by StSanta
Gewesh fish, if that was true, who'd I be?

I'm just some psycho who thinks 90% of the world are utter and total morons, sheep blindly following their leaders, with a faith that is misplaced and intentions that aren't throught through.

He he. If you just hung on to that, you'd make a very good metalhead :D

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Philosophy 101: Snoop Dog Rulz
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2002, 01:35:38 PM »
lol santa - those are great messages, i'd say if that is your taste then your ideas are worth listening to imo at least - to someone else they would simply say that you probably wear black nail polish from time to time ;)

definitely music doesn't  represent everyone1 for 1, it's a broad stroke in most cases. although for some when i hear them listening to brittany spears, i am pretty sure i have the whole picture.....

it's not too easy - for ex:

i think 'le toumbeau de couperin' by maurice ravel reflects my usual range of moods pretty well - i wouldn't mind letting that represent me.

i also think 'neon lights' by kraftwerk represents my taste for order and symmetry.

i think 'south of heaven' by slayer nicely conveys my appreciation of rebellion and force.

any album the clash ever put out up to and including 'sandinista'

i think the entire opera 'turandot' by puccinni says a great deal about risk and epic adventure.

i think woody guthrie says a lot about what i'd like to think social equity could look like.

.....but not all kraftwerk, not all puccinni, not all slayer...etc

not one of them could sum me up entirely but each is a closer approximation of the truth.

what i mean by a broad stroke is that i could never associate with nsynch, brittany spears, or any plastic product because thier "messages" say NOTHING about my life at all.

i couldn't use them as a starting place to define my place in the world even as a rough stroke.

i couldn't even squeeze them in to make a minor statement about myself because they are just endorsing the kind of follower, empty, cowardly, unquestioning mentality i despise.

i could even start with country because i agree with a lot of those values but i'd really have to add some other music so i got the message across well enough.

but as far thpose pop bands go, i'd rather associate with a negative message than no message.