Author Topic: how can i Torpedo carriers?  (Read 336 times)

Offline bochen2k

• Zinc Member
how can i Torpedo carriers?
« on: March 12, 2002, 09:38:45 PM »
How can I use a plane with torpedo to sink a carrier?
Just like how the Japs use to Kate planes to sink Pearl Harbor's Carriers. Thanks

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 10:23:06 PM »
Here is a thread which talks about using the JU88 with torpedoes

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47480

If you wish to use the TBM you don't have to worry about how fast your are going, and you can be abit higher, I think even as high as 500ft...

SKurj

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Re: how can i Torpedo carriers?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 02:32:02 PM »
Originally posted by bochen2k
How can I use a plane with torpedo to sink a carrier?
Just like how the Japs use to Kate planes to sink Pearl Harbor's Carriers. Thanks

the ships move in ah, the ones at PH were in dock

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 03:05:20 PM »
I try to set up for 90 deg attacks, with reasonable success.  Aim for the Cruiser bow or a hair in front, from 90 deg.,wait until the first "ping" from ships tickles you, then release fast, pull into a high yo yo 180 deg away.

Never go under 90 deg. but you can go over 90, as this next set of pics illustrates...it was a 20 to 1 odds shot, I was the lone JU88 in a snap shot, making a run in, I had to sink the CV in order for the Allies to win..pressure was on, however, they turned the CV just as I made my approach, their fighters were alerted to my presence, and were OTW back to intercept me, so I only had one shot to do it, I took the chance of a 160 deg deflection shot, using kentucky windage and alotta luck...

The first pic shows the angle I was to the CV, the  torpedo wake can be seen, its funny looking because the screen capture is off the camera, not an in-game still shot.  I had to lighten the picture so you could see everything, it was dusk in the Snap Shot.  My JU88 is turning left as I release.

With only one engine shot away, you can see me cruising out of AA distance, witnessing the ship sinking...still amazes me to this day that I manage to get both torps on the CV, at the Aft portion, from 160 deflection.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2002, 03:08:06 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2002, 03:15:37 PM »
Incidently, I'm taking the angles mentioned from the stern backwards, then 90 deg out, so in essence, 160 deflection may indeed be a 20 deg deflection shot, so that would be about a 1 o'clk shot

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2002, 11:07:59 AM »
bochen, are you sevenof9 in game??......