Author Topic: Why IS that CRAZY Ar234 Dogfighting??? I'll Tell You...  (Read 397 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Why IS that CRAZY Ar234 Dogfighting??? I'll Tell You...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
I think the me262 in the MA will need to take DTs up all the time (if it had them in Rl?).

Otherwise, id agree, they would be pretty useless due to their low fuel and the fuel multiplier. It may have the same flight time as a 109, but 109 can CLIMB. 262 dont climb well at all.

That deck hugging would be fun, I bet many tiffie, mudstain, hunstang and lablowchnik pilots will love to dive on it.  :D

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
the me-262 can climb well at high speeds. i think around 3700 fpm on the deck. of course it drops off rapidly with altitude. who has an engine deck for a jumo?

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tac:
I think the me262 in the MA will need to take DTs up all the time (if it had them in Rl?).

The only production model with external fuel tanks was the night fighter varient.  The bomb racks were plumbed with fuel lines.  The loss of the aft fuel tank, which was taken up by the radar operator, resulted in only 20 minutes of flying time on internal fuel. The addition of the external fuel tanks did not allow the same maneuverability and speeds as the single seat 262's.  Moving the fuel from aft of the wing to forward of the wing also resulted in a more stable airplane, in pitch.  Large changes in trim were required, however, as the fuel was burned off.  I speculate that this is part of the reason that the an electrical jack-screw stabilizer trim system was added.  (The elevator's mechanical trim tabs were riveted in place).  

MiG