Author Topic: AH Voice use and I'm Lost  (Read 354 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
AH Voice use and I'm Lost
« on: March 19, 2002, 12:29:56 PM »
Call me the big "DoDo"!

But....

I simply can not completely grasp the AH Voice system.

If I am in the tower or in-flight and use a radio key a box pops up.  This box has a "Channel" and a "Room" column.  What exactly does this tell me?

When some one talks I see their ID text pop in the top right while they are speaking.  Does this text color have significance?  I have only noticed purple color.

Sometimes AH Voice is understandable, many times it comes over as beeps and goblety goop.  Is this normal or do I have a problem with my system?

I have tested AH Voice a couple of times, sometimes I get an answer to my test and sometimes not.  Is there any cue that lets me know that I am transmitting?

The Radio text bar has 5 boxes.  The first 4 are for text radio messages.  The 5th box has a "v" in it.  The down arrow for this box only has "squad" as a selection.  But, you can erase this and put any channel in or even a persons ID.  How does this box work?

On a different subject, if I hear "Base under attack!" is there any way to know which base is under attack.  IE: Does this base belong to my team?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Re: AH Voice use and I'm Lost
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2002, 01:29:36 PM »
Originally posted by Minotaur
Call me the big "DoDo"!

But....

I simply can not completely grasp the AH Voice system.

If I am in the tower or in-flight and use a radio key a box pops up.  This box has a "Channel" and a "Room" column.  What exactly does this tell me?

So... you read the help on the website right?  Right?  ;)

http://www.hitechcreations.com/voice.html

I'll just cut and paste:

"The first radio is the tunable radio where players may talk privately to squads or any tunable channel.  The default transmit key for the tunable radio is key "T".  

The second voice radio is the range radio and it is not tunable.  The range radio allows transmission to those in icon range if you are in flight or players in the room with you if you are not in flight.  The default transmit key is "F12".  

All players on both radios are listed in the Voice roster list that appears whenever the radio bar is open or if the player's location is a Tower or Map Room.  This roster list may be positioned anywhere on the screen. "

When some one talks I see their ID text pop in the top right while they are speaking.  Does this text color have significance?  I have only noticed purple color.

Yep, same as the channel colors in the table that pops up.  If somebody is speaking via the range channel, they'll show up purple, and if they are speaking via your tuned channel, they'll show up yellow.  Note that currently those tuned in your tunable channel on the left side don't seem to show up.  I tune mine to channel 4, the squad channel, but although it works, none of my squad mates show up in the list of who's on the channel.  This is a bug HT knows about I read elsewhere, and I'd bet he'll fix it soon.

Sometimes AH Voice is understandable, many times it comes over as beeps and goblety goop.  Is this normal or do I have a problem with my system

I have tested AH Voice a couple of times, sometimes I get an answer to my test and sometimes not.  Is there any cue that lets me know that I am transmitting?

Not right now, however if you tune your v channel to your own handle, it will echo back so you can test it.  The procedure is detailed in the help document linked above.

The Radio text bar has 5 boxes.  The first 4 are for text radio messages.  The 5th box has a "v" in it.  The down arrow for this box only has "squad" as a selection.  But, you can erase this and put any channel in or even a persons ID.  How does this box work?

Just like the other radio boxes pretty much.  You can tune any of the channel numbers in the 100-299 range, with the ones between 100-199 being country only, and the last from 200-299 being tunable by anyone.  However, I don't think you can tune 1, 2, or 3 with voice.  The "range" channel acts just like ch. 3 anyway.  You can also type handles into that channel box to tune somebody privately via voice.  Also, squelching somebody should squelch them in voice too, although I think HT mentioned that this is not working right at the moment.

On a different subject, if I hear "Base under attack!" is there any way to know which base is under attack.  IE: Does this base belong to my team?

I'm not sure, but I think it means that one of your team's bases is under attack.  To find out which ones are under attack, check the map... the flashing icons are under attack. :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: AH Voice use and I'm Lost
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 01:41:00 PM »
"Channel" shows what channel, if any, you are tuned to - what appears in the 5th box in the text window.  As I understand it, this can be a channel number or a name, the name being either Squad, Mission if on a mission, or any person's GameID to talk one-to-one.  The "Room" channel shows a list of people in the same room at you, in either the Tower, Hangar or Maproom of a field.  The Maproom, for instance, could be especially useful for planning a mission and being able to talk to others about what to do.  After you take off in your chosen ride, the "Room" changes to the "Range" channel, so that you can chat to others who are within range of your position.  I am not sure how far the range goes, but did notice someone disappeared from the Range list shortly after disappearing out of Icon range.  

Yes, the text colour does have a significance.  The purple you have seen is from anyone in either the "Room" with, or within "Range" of yourself.  Text may also be seen in yellow if somebody talks on the channel you are tuned to - if you have not seen any yellow text so far, it is probably because you have not selected a channel in the V window of the text box, such as a channel number or Squad. :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun