Author Topic: Input Please?  (Read 399 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« on: March 14, 2002, 02:55:56 PM »
What are the top 10 things that make a great MA terrain?

What are the top 10 mistakes an MA terrain can make?

What things are HTC looking for in MA terrains?

Nate, Fly, Do you guys have a set style guide you guys adhere to when designing MA terrains?  Does HT give you a Ten Commandments?

Note, my questions here are in the context of MA terrains as opposed to CT or Scenario terrains.

Thanks in advance,

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: Input Please?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 08:25:54 PM »
I know your waiting for a reply from someone at HTC. I also have NO MA maps published so, I maybe the last person who should reply,but i will anyways;)

I think the most important thing is game balance,so no ONE country gets the short end of the stick.

The top Mistake I would say is... you can build a map and it will look balanced , but as soon as one team takes a field the map changes, you must "think" ahead to all the posibilities of land grab, and the losing team still being able to have some chance to fight back.

I've also would and have asked for a guideline of some sort to go by but never got a responce. Sofar my best advice i can give is... the less HTC has to 'revise' or 'fix' your submitted map the better off you are.

Hope that helps
NUTTZ

P.S> I still use your mapmaker:)

Originally posted by AKWabbit
What are the top 10 things that make a great MA terrain?

What are the top 10 mistakes an MA terrain can make?

What things are HTC looking for in MA terrains?

Nate, Fly, Do you guys have a set style guide you guys adhere to when designing MA terrains?  Does HT give you a Ten Commandments?

Note, my questions here are in the context of MA terrains as opposed to CT or Scenario terrains.

Thanks in advance,

Wab

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Input Please?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 11:15:09 PM »
The real answer to this is simple.

Do not try to reenvent the wheel in any way, use all our standard object layouts. Changing basic game play stuff can have lots of unforseen consiquences.

Don't put any thing in the terrain just because you think it's cool. i.e. stuff like bridges new river types and such.

Keep fields spaced corrently i.e. between 3/4 and 1.5 sectors is min max, normal try keep field spacing to 1 sector.

Never sacrifice game play over real land mass or real field layouts.

Rember players will abuse any diffencancy in the terrain.

Vehicle spawn point to base is normal around 5miles from the tower.

Finaly:
 Rember you are not creating a terrain for yourself or to show people how inovative your are,or because you found one wwii era facinating, you are making terrains for other people to have fun at.

And if you realy wish to make a main arena terrain, save yourself lots of work , make a simple bitmap of land mass and field/factor/city/hq layout, send it to us befor you start the real work.

Good luck.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 11:57:49 PM »
Thanks for the input HT.

One more question:  Are all terrains now required to support carriers and naval ops, or would a land-locked terrain be an acceptable change of pace?

Btw, which would be the better email to send a terrain design doc to, You or Nate?

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Input Please?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 04:03:45 PM »
Me or doug wabit, or just stop by with map in hand,can be done with out cv opps, but my guess is lots of players would complain.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 10:08:18 PM »
>or just stop by with map in hand

That might be easier.  So we can ask and answer questions and pick your brains.  Might bring by some cold ones some afternoon close to when you guys are getting ready to knock off.

That is if you guys ever do knock off.

No.  I said "knock" off; :cool:

I'll let ya know.

Thanks,
Wab
« Last Edit: March 15, 2002, 10:12:46 PM by AKWabbit »

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2002, 10:33:58 PM »
isn't that a bit to personal a question??:eek: :eek:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 11:52:36 AM »
>isn't that a bit to personal a question??

I wouldn't have expected such delicate sensibilities from a man named BenDover. ;)

Wab

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Input Please?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2002, 11:58:34 AM »
like i haven't heard that one before:rolleyes: