Author Topic: Was getting a lot of warps - fixed it  (Read 265 times)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
Was getting a lot of warps - fixed it
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2002, 11:26:28 AM »
Is it OS, firewall or router based software? What I mean is, I understand the explanation (thanks); but don't understand how it works if my fire wall's misconfigured, because Windows based software will never know what AH tried to acess, Zone alarm will stop the request before it gets there. Similarly, if my router's configured to block certain ports, how will Zone Alarm ever even know they were asked for?

Ok, All software is OS based software :D  Unless it's embeded into something (Cisco has it's own OS, port monitor ect.)

ZA dosen't block ports. It controls the useage of the internet by blocking programs. You can preprogramme ZA for software at

STOLEN!

/STOLEN!
http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_programs.htm#1program

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2002, 12:03:04 PM »
Ya know, this would be much easier if HT just posted a list of all ports required from link on the main page called "Configuring a firewall for Aces High"

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2002, 02:58:13 PM »
you open up all the ports on your router (or send 'em all to your Aces High machine), you turn off your firewall, then run your port monitoring program.  Turn on Aces High, fiddle around a bit, shoot some guys, die, use AHVoice...  Turn off Aces High, then turn back on your firewall and close ports on your router.   Then check your port monitoring software for any ports that were accessed by HTC's servers.  It should show all the ports that that Aces High used to transmit data on.  Then you'd know the ranges to map on your router (so you get nice UDP connections) and to open on your firewall (if you have one that requires you to do that.)

Personally, I use software routing on the "server" computer.  So I gotta know which ports Aces High uses for UDP data, so I can map 'em to my "client" machine.  I don't really need to do this anymore, but it was set up this way for my software engineering project team.  Tried to set it up so my client was connecting directly, but for some reason Cox.net refuses to talk to any computer but my server.  *shrugs*
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.