Author Topic: Why Shouldn't I Fly the Spit V  (Read 907 times)

Offline Honch

• Copper Member
      • http://www.wesayni.com
Why Shouldn't I Fly the Spit V
« on: March 20, 2002, 01:18:40 PM »
I've seen a lot of trash talking about spitfires here on this board and in the MA.  I'm not sure I understand it all.

I'm still relatively new to the game and I would kind of like to understand why there is so much animosity towards spits.

I like it alot, But why shoudln't I fly the Spit V?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 01:29:46 PM »
Nothing is wrong with flying the Spit V. People just don't want to get gangbanged by turn fighters with 20 mm Hispanos ;) Yet they don't want to take the time to fly in such a way as to avoid turn fighting.

Additionally, this game is much more fun if everyone flies a variety of aircraft. If every enemy encountered is a Spitfire, it gets boring real fast. Either you have to fly a comparable aircraft, be very patient using BnZ tactics, or be prepared to die a lot in furballs.

I happen to like flying P-51Ds and F-4U1s (the birdcages). It is very hard (not impossible because the enemy pilot may suck ;)) for me to win if I encounter a Spit above me with more speed. Some people would say the solution to this problem is to accuse those who fly the Spits of being dweebs flying uber planes that are spoiling the fun of anybody who flys planes that can't turn with them and to perk the Spits to prevent such dweebery. I think it is a matter of flying the P-51 as intended: higher and faster than the opposition. If I can't get the P-51 into a position of advantage and I get tired of being bounced by planes with more e or maneuverability, I hop up in an A6M5 and give the Spitfires (or whatever else it is that is killing me) a taste of their own medicine. Though I prefer flying the Spitfire to the A6M5 when dealing with hordes of Tempests in HtH combat.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 01:57:35 PM »

Of course you should fly spit if you like it! :)
Spits just happens to excel in every area and it's the reason we see them so much. I personally think there's no better plane to learn acm than spit ix, that's one heck of the plane.
I admit I get frustrated too every now and then when facing hordes of spits, but I always get over it after shooting couple of them down with my rusty jug hehe.

Fly what you like, after all it's you that pays 15$/month and you can do what ever you like. Just remember there will be always whining for something, don't take it too personally. :)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 02:01:38 PM »
Please do.. we need more spit V pilots!
most of them run the IX

The only 2 problems with that plane

A. i turn fight you will run out of E and find yourself very low and very slow.
B. .303s couldn't penetrate a sheep's bum in this game. Even FDBs can!
:D

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 02:07:56 PM »
I advise against seeking aproval for your choice in aircraft.  Fly what you want for whatever reasons you want.  Its the best way to enjoy the game.

Another good way to enjoy the game is to completely ignore those that wish to dictate how you should enjoy the game.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 02:17:36 PM »
Nothing.

Unless some twit's sob story on channel one about how he got caught turning his 400+mph plane on the deck and died actually moves you to care.

Offline Honch

• Copper Member
      • http://www.wesayni.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 02:46:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice

Why it is, then, that everyone seems to attack the Spit V so vehemently?  

I don't see how it's such a super fighter, or why its gotten such a reputation as a dweeb's plane.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2002, 02:51:00 PM »
People who fly fast planes cry when they get slow and are killed by slow planes.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2002, 02:57:43 PM »
Fly what ever you like, it's your money.

The Spit's attacked by idiots who don't know how to fight it, usually the same guys that squeak about Buff guns, GV guns and anything else that kills them too.

Ignore them.

As to why not the V, well, the I's got more style, and the IX's got more speed, but again, it's your money :-)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2002, 03:00:41 PM »
It's the spit IX that got that image.

It's because the RAF has so many talented pilots and the the LW can touch anyone who's been flying for 2 months or is paying attention to them swooping in from 20k feet.

BOOHOO! I can't touch the IX it's a dweeby plane!

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2002, 03:08:51 PM »
Originally posted by Honch
Why it is, then, that everyone seems to attack the Spit V so vehemently?  

They are just trying to improve your historic experience in the game. The real Luftwaffe pilots in WWII didn't like the Spit V either.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why Shouldn't I Fly the Spit V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2002, 03:14:52 PM »
Originally posted by Honch
I've seen a lot of trash talking about spitfires here on this board and in the MA.  I'm not sure I understand it all.

I'm still relatively new to the game and I would kind of like to understand why there is so much animosity towards spits.

I like it alot, But why shoudln't I fly the Spit V?

Spitfires tend to dominate the furballs. Many, if not most pilots do not understand how to deal with them. So, they get shot down and whine accordingly.

I also like the SpitV and fly it frequently. Furthermore, I could care less who doesn't like it (usually those who find themselves on the business end). I also fly the N1K2, another so-called "dweeb" ride.

Some of the best pilots in AH fly the SpitV. That should be a clue to those who belittle it.

If someone should squeak, just shoot him down... :D

Honch, ignore the complainers and enjoy yourself.

See you out there.

My best,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2002, 03:15:43 PM »
Fly it Honch. The more I hear wailing & gnashing of teeth about the spitV, the more I fly it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2002, 03:16:30 PM »
Honch, screw 'em and fly what you want.  If that's the Spit V, fly it all you want.  :)

FDisk, plenty of people fly the Spit V.  Prolly 60% more kills by the IX, but the V is still well represented.

Fatty, if they get upset by getting their uber fast ride killed by a Spit V, I wonder what those 190 and P-51D guys was thinking when I got them in a Spitfire Mk Ia?  :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2002, 03:18:45 PM »
Heh, it's not a spit but my new favorite is the hurricane I.  On top of simply shooting them down, I take joy in the knowledge they've had to listen hundreds of 303 pings.