Author Topic: Joystick Help  (Read 906 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Joystick Help
« on: March 25, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
Can someone answer a few questions for me.  Lately I have been having a real tough time with my joystick set-ups.

I am looking for a set-up that will work without spiking.

Up untill now my old TM has performed so well I have not looked into other systems.  I was very happy with TM, but I have a circuit problem that causes severe spiking when the joystick is "Awake".  I recently replaced the pots, but that was not my problem.  I do not have the "Eraser Head" TQS and can not do the digital upgrade.

The TM set-up works very well unless I "Wake Up" the joystick.  So basically I have a 1 button 3 axis joystick.  It works very smoothly this way, but it is just not that useful with only a trigger button operational.

I tried the Saitek X36 and had lots of problems, mostly erratic spiking.  This stick was very nice to fly with, but proved to be a disapointment.  Will it work and not be spikey in USB mode?

My new CH set-up, that I just purchased, has been a nightmare to get working in Windows.  Now that I have it working, the joystick spikes pretty bad in certain positions and is unplayable.  I am pretty disappointed with CH Products so far.

This is getting really old and expensive....

My questions:
  • What are the advantages of digital joysticks and how do you set them up to work?
  • What are the advatages of USB joysticks and how do you set them up to work?
  • Can analog style rudder peddles with digital or USB joysticks? (I love my TM Elite Rudders)
Does anybody know anything about Simped Rudder Pedals?  Can they only be used with other joystics besides MS Sidewinder joysticks?

I was thinking of getting a Logitech 3D Digital Wingman Extreme and running it with my TM Elite Rudders.  Will this work?

I was also thinking of marrying some kind of digital / USB joystick to the Simped rudder pedals.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Luckyone

Joystick Help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2000, 01:43:00 AM »
I was there and did alot of that and settled with the wingman. Suncom has some great stuff yet it still gets weird in some games and so far the wingman has (3 months) been the best kill provider for me. I'm still logging on with the others and testing different setups but can't say enough about the cheap and easy wingman port/usb. I'll mess around and see if I can get the answers for you about TM rudders and usb sticks, this weekend.

AO2
Over and out....

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Joystick Help
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2000, 01:43:00 AM »

I was thinking of getting a Logitech 3D Digital Wingman Extreme and running it with my TM Elite Rudders. Will this work?

Yes it is the setup I`m currently using. Make sure you get the DX7 patch if you go with it,it`s on the Logitech website.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Joystick Help
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2000, 02:04:00 AM »
I'm sad to say my Wingman Extreme 3d Digital Pro is giving me fits in regards to spiking.  I really like the stick too

JFalk

Joystick Help
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that your CH gear is acting funny.   I use the CH Combatstick USB and the CH Pedals USB and have no problems at all, in fact this has been my best setup after having tried 2 different MS sticks, the precision pro and the ffb.

The control on the CH gear is like a dream, very smooth, and no nose bounce at all.  I couldnt believe the difference in the way the plane felt flying by just switching joysticks.

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
Joystick Help
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
I just picked up a Wingman Interceptor to plug into my CH pro pedals.

Its only been a couple of days, but I really like it. Very smooth.

The only reason I got it, was the Magnetic control like the Simped pedals.(from what I understand there are no moving parts inside  to wear out) It has plenty of buttons and 3-8way hats.

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
Joystick Help
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
BTW Combatsim.com has another interesting artikle on the subject : The Future of USB Flight Controllers http://www.combatsim.com/htm/mar00/usbsticks1.htm  

;=)

danish

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Joystick Help
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2000, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks all!  

Bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D joystick this morning.  This Logitech joystick is sure smooth.  The dang thing worked as advertised out to the box.  Most important, it does not spike, not even a tad.  I got everything working on the first try.  Now that is a shock for me.  So far so good...

I am using this stick + CH Pro Throttle + TM Elite Peddles.  I have everthing working except the throttle function on the CH.  Currently only using the CH swithes and hats for game functions.  Throttle not hooked to gameport.

So my next question.  Has anyone got an external throttle to work with the Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D joystick?

I don't really mind the throttle on the stick, but using the CH throttle might be more useful.

Thanks again!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew