Author Topic: Htc Stop Ignoring Me, I Need Help!  (Read 226 times)

Offline JoeCrip

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg51.8m.net
Htc Stop Ignoring Me, I Need Help!
« on: April 01, 2002, 04:52:40 PM »
Sorry I had to do this, I made posts about this 4 times...and it still inst fixed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed a few other people have posted this too, but i am gonna repost it. Almost everyone with a sidewinder has been having this problem. I am having it, and Soviet is having it.

Problem: During gameplay, the joystick will just stop working. In order to get it to work, i have to alt+tab. Unplug the joytick, plug it back in, and reinstall the drivers. By the time i have done all that, i have already been bounced, and probally am ded.

This problem started happing and patch 2. Plllllleeeeaaaasssseee release a patch ASAP.

BTW: I do have all the updated sidewinder drivers, and the latest windows USB patches installed

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 05:28:18 PM »
What other usb devices do you have?

Offline JoeCrip

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2002, 05:29:41 PM »
Nothing, just 1 Joystick pluged into a USB port. I have 2 USB ports, and i have the same problem with boh ports.

Offline JoeCrip

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2002, 05:33:14 PM »
Curval

Hey....ME TOO

It has happened since the last patch...Either the sidewinder gets dropped under "controllers" in the Gaming Options under control panel...OR the stick will appear to be fine, but when you try and test it the stick is frozen.

I figured my son had done something to my computer.

I've been re-booting to get it to recognise again!

It seems to happen ALOT more offline, if that helps in any way HTC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess other's are having the same problem as me too. Was anything changed with Joysticks in patch 2? Patch 2 is when this all started

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2002, 01:14:02 AM »
http://www.chproducts.com/ and their tech service can lead you to a patch from M.S. that might fix this, seems that very high speed cpus & USB devices have a timing problem that can cause them to stop working, downloading may or maynot fix it but its worth a try.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 01:59:13 AM »
Try the above,i have had a MS precision pro for 3 years,never a glitch and never seen the above prob,(just for HTC info,not all sidewinders going buggy)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 04:05:40 AM »
I'm not familiar with Sidewinder sticks but I've had my share of USB problems. I've found that some devices use more electricity from the USB port than is available. I don't realy know if this is true but what I think is that the port has a limited amount of power available and taxing the limits of the power available can cause erratic operation in some devices. What I did to fix my power problem is to buy a powered USB hub, haven't had a USB problem since.

Once again, I don't know how the USB port handles power demands and my fix might be more smoke and mirrors than fact.

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 05:26:47 AM »
I'm using a MSFF2.  My problem is somewhat related to Joe's I think.

The problem is that when I'm taking damage and I'm maneuvering, the stick is doing the "shake, rattle and roll", which I love the effect, BUT....If I take a fatal hit while the stick is not centered, I lose some FF, kind of half powered FF, stick centering weak in other words.  Also, if I crash or blow up while the stick is not centered, I lose FF completely, and have to reboot my system to get it back.  This happens now and then, because I have learned to center the stick and let go of it just prior to the crash.  No ill effects on the stick FF if it's centered and not handled when fireball occurs.

Rob53
The Flying Circus
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2002, 07:19:39 AM »
The USB ports on your machine should be able to deliver 500 ma to each device.  Typically if I'm going to plug in more than a couple devices (I have three USB game controllers on my machine) I'll get a hub with an external power supply so the computer isn't forced to drive everything.  My new MB has six USB ports built in, but I still use the Belkin 4 port hub.

In theory with a single M$ Sidewinder the USB port shouldn't have any trouble providing power.

Another thing to consider is the chipset.  Many of the older motherboards, particularly those with ViA chipsets, have pretty flaky USB support.  When I first got my CH setup they'd work for about five minutes, then the machine would loose them.  Turned out to be the chipset.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2002, 11:33:31 AM »
JoeCrip in the video setup try setting the max fps to 45

HiTech

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2002, 11:50:03 AM »
I use a USB sidewinder prec pro 2.

However, I stopped using it as a USB device and now use it as a regular device.  I found that USB was giving me unacceptable control input delay.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2002, 03:21:11 PM »
I don't think power is an issue with a Force Feedback 2.  Those sticks have their own power supply.  (I know, because I have one.)  One thing though, Microsoft failed to bundle a USB patch with several early production sticks.  That patch was neccessary for certain early Via USB controllers.

I thought I'd mention that many boards come with additional USB ports that use a small add on bracket.  Those ports use a seperate USB controller and therefore often work differently than the built on 2 ports.  I've seen some USB issues resolved by using these ports instead of the 2 built onto the motherboard.

Ah USB, the standard where nobody seems to follow the standard... :rolleyes:  I hope USB 2.0 doesn't have the issues that USB 1.1 has.