Author Topic: Trains, Barges, Convoys  (Read 404 times)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« on: March 21, 2002, 12:32:06 PM »
I just realized while doing some testing of some stuff in a terrain, that I was wrong about the speed of the Trains, Convoys and Barges in a earlier post

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39822

They seem to be based on a 10 minute time frame.  Meaning that it will take 10 minutes for the Train, Convoy or Barge to travel from start to Finish reguardless of how long the Road, Track or River is.

I other words, for example
Road1 is 50 miles long
Road2 is 25 miles long
Both Road1 and Road2 will have their Convoys reach the end of them at the same time. ( 10 minutes )

Now the interesting part is Road1 convoy will be travelling at 300mph while Road2 convoy will be travelling at 150mph

The reason I'm bring this up is if you had a Road, Track or River that was 100 miles long then the Train, Convoy or Barge would be travelling at 600mph and how would you ever destroy it with a plane cause you would never catch it.

What ever the length of the Road, Track or River is in miles, just multiply it by 6 to get the mph of the Train, Convoy or Barge.

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 03:08:54 PM »
hmmmm, warp speed trains?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 03:51:19 PM »
Pokie , i think your wrong Hitech said ( i think) that there are certain speeds trains , truck and barge convoys go. It isn't done by time by your example. the longer the "road" the longer it takes the resupply convoy to travel. The "time" is the down time after the convoy reaches it's destination before another convoy starts.

The animation in the TE speeds up the travel times , so don't test your speed theorys in the TE, you'll need to go offline into the map. It is different, i tested it, but not the mathamatical calculations in travel distance to see the speeds.

NUTTZ

BTW, we need to start some new stuff again:)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 04:55:12 PM »
All my test are done in offline (some are in h2h) Nuttz.

First I thought there was a bug in the 109 version cause I had a very short track and the train was moving slower than a tug boat.

So I made a terrain with a 10mile long track, a 20mile track and a 50mile track all parallel to each other 2 grid squares apart so they wouldn't join.

Just place a snow texture down were the track passes over it and time how long it takes the train to travel it.  Divide 3600 by how many seconds it takes and that your MPH
You'll be able to see the speed difference anyway if you run the tracks parrallel and look at the trains in F5 mode.

Maybe the next Editor will allow time ( speed ) settings OR maybe there is a bug.

Pokie

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 05:23:20 PM »
Supply must arrived in equal, predictable intervals.

Editors are allowed to have roads/rails of different lengths.

Therefore, as the last remaining variable, speed is adjusted to make sure the supply transits the road/rail in the proper interval.

Its not a bug.  Its a game play concession made intentionally.  Functions as designed.

Now as a design decision, maybe its better to forces all road/rails to a set length.  (shrug)

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 07:06:59 PM »
Really? I tested mine off line and didn't noticed trains running at different speeds. But  hey, I'm really new to the objects and strat part of the TE. I think i'll do alittle testing tonight also. I know the "time" of resupplys can be changed? Time wouldn't have any effect on distance, So your probably right after second thinking this. If you guys are right( which i believe you's are) then i will have to rethink where i place depots and stations. Or just wait to see how HTC's  new "zone" strats will work.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by AKWabbit
Supply must arrived in equal, predictable intervals.

Editors are allowed to have roads/rails of different lengths.

Therefore, as the last remaining variable, speed is adjusted to make sure the supply transits the road/rail in the proper interval.

Its not a bug.  Its a game play concession made intentionally.  Functions as designed.

Now as a design decision, maybe its better to forces all road/rails to a set length.  (shrug)

Wab

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 07:53:09 PM »
This is really not a problem unless you are making a long road/track.  If a real long road/track is required then you could just place another station or set it up like ( I think ) Nuttz or Sundog had said about trying a cascade system where station1 feeds station2.

I just wanted to post this here so no one ends up with a train or convoy that can't be caught by a plane.

Pokie

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2002, 10:15:59 AM »
Pokie the road system changes drasticly with the next editor release.

1. you can press 1 button and it does all default road/train setup for you  with each road 10 miles in length. The you just need to move the roads for astetics.

2. The source field is no longer used.

If you supply a field, the source is all factorys, if you supply a point the source is the city.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
Trains, Barges, Convoys
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2002, 10:55:01 AM »
Cool....  Thanks HiTech

Pokie