Author Topic: Ace's High Questions  (Read 148 times)

Offline Basset

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jg53.com
Ace's High Questions
« on: March 21, 2002, 10:15:24 AM »
Hello,

I represent a squad that currently operates in WW2 OnLine and we were thinking of moving over to Ace's High to have another theater of operations.
  My question is directed to pilots who have flown in WW2OL and their thoughts on the flight model, damage model, black out model and air gameplay comparing the two sims.
  We are familiar with the 109.  
  If there is anyone who has the time to show us around, let’s set up a time.

Thanks,
Basset

2 Squads - One Goal - Victory!!

Jagdgeschwader 53/12th Panzergrenadier Regiment

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 11:10:26 AM »
Well AH is a realitively small download. I would recommend dl and setting a h2h room (its free). You can get up to 8 guys in a room and test it out for yourselves.

You get 2 weeks free I would suggest not making the mistake a lot of new guys make when trying AH. That is thoughly explore the game offline and in the h2h arenas.

Then once you have a handle on the fm and game go ahead and use your 2 free weeks.

AH at peak has 370-400 folks online flying in a map thats currently 256x256. We are getting new maps that will be larger 512x512. With the smaller maps the fights are quite huge at times. I've seen 30-50 in a 25 mile area all going at it. With this in mind its very hard in the main arena to learn the basics.

Any questions you have about the game or anything Ah related the guys on this board will help you.

I until recently had a wwwiol sub. I had one since it went pay to play. I wont comment directly on which game is better as far as a2a goes. I would though recommend AH and try it offline and h2h and I bet we see you in the main kill buffer soon.

Email Me if I can assist you.

My squad fly as knights in the main. Theres a downloadable help file Here. Give this a look through it should have alot of usefull info.

Good luck

S!

Wotan
« Last Edit: March 21, 2002, 11:12:57 AM by Wotan »

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 11:14:17 AM »
Flightmodel: AH is harder and you'll need more flight-time in here to be succesfull with your plane of choice. Try to find a "tutor" or ask if one of trainers could give you couple lessons or send you some films.

Damagemodel: on par thought AH has visible damage.

Blackouts: I've heard they're more like in RL than in wwiiol.

Gameplay in air: Flying planes and using their strenghts against another planes weaknesses is something that needs good self dicipline.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 11:27:35 AM »
Originaly posted buy Basset
I represent a squad that currently operates in WW2 OnLine and we were thinking of moving over to Ace's High to have another theater of operations.
My question is directed to pilots who have flown in WW2OL and their thoughts on the flight model, damage model, black out model and air gameplay comparing the two sims.
We are familiar with the 109.
[/b]

Ive played WWIIOL and if your looking for a more challenging, less gamey, flight model i highly recomend AH. There is a more diverse flight model for each air-craft in AH, there are no 2 planes that seem to have the same flight charecteristics (except for obviously the different version of certain models, even then the differences, or "upgrades" to the model of air-craft are clearly noticable). This is a quarrel i had with WWIIOL, the planes all seemed to have a endless supply of energy, and nearly the same flight models.. You can fly "sloppy" and have no worries of lost energy, in AH on the other hand energy is your "health", if you make even one wrong energy dispercing move you could be dead.

I  cannot tell you much about the damage modeling between the 2 sims, simply because ive only been shot down one time in WWIIOL, i normaly met fate smashing into the ground due to lag. Damage modeling in AH is quiet contriversial, sometimes it takes a single well placed burst, and in other cases it can take several burst... this again is depending the AC because they all have different armor. ( i say its contriversial because even when flying, for example, a heavily armored jug a single sing from MG fire can rip your wing off, and in other cases it shall simply chip your paint)

The eye candy while sitting in the cock-pit when playing WWIIOL is deffinately more appealing than AH, although some of the instruments are of poor visability. in AH the instrument panel seems to be very 2-D, nearly flat as a peice of paper but you can clearly see all the instruments.

What i honestly think you should do friend is download AH and take advantage of the free 2 week trial that is offered, because then you can see for your self what this great sim has to offer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2002, 11:30:26 AM by Am0n »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 11:29:31 AM »
Basset,

Welcome to AH.

I think that you will find AH vastly better than WWIIOL with most aspects of aircraft operations.
As far as the ground war goes, WWIIOL probably beats AH by just as much.
As far as ships go, AH has em and they can be a blast.

Bottom line,
If you are looking for an online prop-sim, AH can't be beat.
If tanking is secondary to you, AH is good enough.
Customer service here rules as well.

eskimo

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 11:37:42 AM »
WW2OL is a very good tank sim.....AH is a very good flight sim.

If you enjoy the flight sim aspect of WW2OL, you will love AH. As others have said, the best thing to do would be to download it and do the 2 week trial. That's the best way to decide which you like better. I was one of the first 50 or so beta testers for WW2OL...played/tested for 8 months. I still pop in there once in a while, but only to play armor and infantry. If I want some air combat, AH wins hands down.

Of course this is all just my 2 cents....

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 11:59:36 AM »
190a5 Test 2

Check this film out you may get an idea. Forgive the quality AH in its recent update gave us the ability to make avi films.

Anyway check it out......

Wotan

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2002, 12:09:23 PM »
thats a sweet film there wotan

although for some reason i didnt picture you listening to that kind of music :)
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2002, 12:45:12 PM »
Gunnery in Aces High for me is a lot easier than it was in WWIIOL.  I don't know which one is more realistic, so I won't comment on it.  I will admit that when WWIIOL offered the "come try it out again" promotion, that my gunnery was easier, because there were better cues that you were connecting with your 0.303 calibre MG (sorry, I rarely flew the 109E in WWIIOL, I can't comment on it.)  Ballistics in AH are better, I think.

Damage Model...  It's so transparent in WWIIOL that it's hard to compare.  You don't know what's been hurt on your plane, so it's hard to describe the model.   The engine damage model on WWIIOL is better, IMO tho.  I had a hurricane take some engine damage, and it affected the plane yet was still flyable with some throttle massaging.  In AH, you have on or off damage models for individual components.  You can lose your radiator and your engine will overheat, but performance stays the same.  Eventually, the engine will seize and that's it, dead stick.  Same with an oil leak.  The engine behaves just fine until no more oil, then dead stick.  No progressive damage is what I'm trying to say I guess.  Same with control surfaces in AH, they're either there or they're knocked off your plane.  In WWIIOL, it felt like your control surfaces could be damaged in varying degrees.  Dunno if that was the case or not.  In WWIIOL, supposedly the rounds continue through the plane depending on kinetic energy.  It's possible, in the "try us out again" playtest, any time I took one, solitary hit, it went right through my pilot.  (I got hit 3 times that I heard during the 2 weeks, all 3 times my pilot lost 80% or more of his health).  I'm not sure if that's the case in AH or not.

Flight Model.  IMO, AH wins hands down in this aspect.  WWIIOL was getting better in terms of FMs, but it still was lacking, IMO.  It's becoming more of a viable flight sim, but it has some more improvements to make.  AH is more than viable, in fact, it's very good.  You have to learn each plane's characteristics to be good, and you need to learn how to apply your plane's strengths vs the opponent's plane's weaknesses to be successful.  I didn't sense that in WWIIOL while flying.  Very few 109s would use their speed and climb advantage, or take advantage of the Spit and Hurri's neg-G engine issues.  In AH, there are plenty of pilots that will exploit the weaknesses of your plane.  :)  (this falls under gameplay, I think)

Black out model.  I like AH's better.  Tho WWIIOL with the pilot fatigue was kinda interesting.  Not sure I'd want that added to AH though.

Gameplay.  Well, if you're into very historic matchups and flavor, WWIIOL has AH beat.  WWIIOL is absolutely a blast to have air battles in support of a raging ground war (this is not taking into account technical issues that arise in attempting to do this!)
You will not see aerial fights breaking out over 20-30 GVs in AH.  In the Main Arena, you won't even see historical matchups.  You'll fight every other plane in whatever plane you fly.  You'll mostly see a lot of Spitfire variants, but there will be plenty of other planes to fly.  In the Combat Theater you'll see Axis vs Allied setups, and depending on the setup, you might get a very specific matchup, or you'll get the full Axis vs Allied planeset.  If you're looking to matchup your 109E vs Spit Is and Hurri Is only, it's not going to happen very often at all.   We do have historical events, where the matchups are very specific.  A lot of Aces High players feel these events are where the game really shines.  :)  If you're just mainly interested in some very exciting and challenging aerial fights, involving lots of different airframes then Aces High beats WWIIOL in game play hands down.  Aces High has a strategic aspect of base capture that's going to be enhanced soon with some new strat updates.  It still relies very heavily on the air aspect tho.  Some ground vehicles exist, but this isn't a ground sim by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.

Have your squad give Aces High a try.  At the very least, if you decide not to subscribe, you'll have a free Head to Head setup you can play with your squad or anyone else hosting HtH action.  As has been stated before, there is a 2 week free trial you can use to play in the full arenas to get a taste of what we're all about.  

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I think most of the Luftwaffe minded squads/players fly on the Knights in the Main Arena.  I know Wotan's crew does for sure.  
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2002, 08:09:51 PM »
I am an old hardcore/punk dude tattoss from ankle to neck :)

I grew up in Northern Va Listening  to Dc/hc and local punk rock. Back when they called Moshin Circle dancin but oh well Now I am 225 lbs and 32 and play computer games :( pretty fediddlein depressing :(

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Ace's High Questions
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2002, 05:13:56 AM »
Wotan a punk?

Who'd have thunk it? :)

Some mates:

http://www.apple.dk/