Author Topic: AH linux update  (Read 161 times)

Offline Conway

• Zinc Member
AH linux update
« on: March 23, 2002, 08:21:51 PM »
Hello all,

Update on linux compatibility :

1.09 patch 1 now works with the top-of-trunk winex CVS -- they've accepted my patch to fix the sound capture bug, and now 1.09 starts up without problems.

Also, I've completed work on POV hat support patch for a bunch of joysticks, and submitted this to winex. This is not accepted yet, but I hope it will be soon.
If it is, then you'll be able to run AH without any patches to wine!

My page, news and patches are http://www.inimage.com/AH/AH_on_Linux.html">here

Also, I've requested some help during this process from HTC, (wrote up a whole long email), but got only a one-sentence reply "We do not support Linux".
Whats up with that? I wasn't asking them to support, I was asking for some cooperation -- this is to their benefit in the end as well!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
AH linux update
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 12:17:55 AM »
The answer to "what's up with that" is quite simple.

Attempting to run AH under another OS is more work than HTC is willing to commit to right now.  Its actually more work than most are willing to commit to.

You may not think that its all that bad, until they begin to get inundated with "well.. it doesn't work on my LINUX box" questions.  A solid "no" is really their only alternative.

Of course, if you were to do stuff on your side of the house, I've found that HTC can be accomodating at times... just not supportive.  I pretty much went through the same thing with them way back with 1.11r2 and NT 4.0 support.  I've found them to be very standoffish, but willing to look at well thought out solutions.

That said, it does not mean they'll impliment squat.  Sometimes its better not to fix something if it isn't really broken.

AKDejaVu

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
AH linux update
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 01:08:07 AM »
Last night someone mentionned that Hitech is a DOS programmer, whatever that is :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
Re: AH linux update
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2002, 05:48:56 PM »
Originally posted by Conway
Also, I've requested some help during this process from HTC, (wrote up a whole long email), but got only a one-sentence reply "We do not support Linux".
Whats up with that? I wasn't asking them to support, I was asking for some cooperation -- this is to their benefit in the end as well!

I'm a big Linux booster, but I have to say that I can't blame them.  If they get involved with the process, they'll end up *having* to support it, and I think they're busy enough as it is.

Offline Conway

• Zinc Member
AH linux update
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 12:45:56 AM »
I agree, and I do not expect them to support Linux.
I was just surprised at such an almost rude reply to my request for small assistance, and even my offer to help them (unofficially) support AH on linux with the minimal effort from them.
I for one, would be very happy if someone would volunteer to support any of my applications in a different environment, since it would widen my customer base at no cost to me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AH linux update
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 07:41:06 AM »
Conway, the reply, as I read it, was not rude, but direct and succinct.  The only reply thet could have come from HTC.

The fact that you requested help from them says you need support.  You basically put them in a no-win situation.  They cannot give support to one individual without having to support all, unless they have a contract with said individual.

Oh, and if you allow other individuals to help support your applications without a contract of some sort in place, you put yourself in a legal quandry.  We do live in a litigious society, so be careful if someone offers to help you without a contract.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com