Author Topic: Help with the F6F-5 Hellcat  (Read 455 times)

Offline Hogboy

• Zinc Member
Help with the F6F-5 Hellcat
« on: March 24, 2002, 12:16:55 PM »
I've recently started flying the Hellcat and have been getting my arse handed to me left and right. :mad:

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice Hellcat pilots could provide me, especially in regards to with:

1) Air-to- Air Tactics;

2) Air-to-Ground Tactics; and

3) Convergence settings.

Thanks for your help.  

Hogboy

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 04:20:54 PM »
Mathman is one of the f6f gurus of this game.
check out his webpage for hellcat tips and tricks:
http://people.we.mediaone.net/alemanymathman/index.htm

the hellcat is a nice plane, not really good at anything but not bad either. it needs some getting used to, to know how to adress each enemy, but when you do it's a fun plane and is MA survivable.

enjoy
Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline talon23

• Zinc Member
hellcat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 07:10:47 PM »

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 01:00:04 AM »
Hogboy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Hellcat.  Once you get used to it, the plane becomes a real monster.  The problem is getting used to it.  I took my lumps trying to figure it out, and I still do.

Some general advice that is helpful:

Air-to-air:  The main thing you need to succeed is to keep your speed at least around 250.  At around 250-300, very few planes in the MA are going to be able to deal effectively against the F6F.  I do this by rarely pointing my nose above the horizon in a fight and using light control inputs until I absolutely need to really slam it around (i.e. defensive or fighting a really squirrely opponent).  

Air-to-ground:  I use a steep dive (70-80 degrees) with my throttle all the way back to keep my speed from getting too high for an effective pullout (usually around 400-450 mph).  I release at about 1,500-2,500 ft above my target depending on my speed.  Rockets, I normally aim just above my target and fire.

Convergence:  This is one of those things that really depends on personal tastes.  I have mine set to 500, but I know a lot of people that have it set to 350.  This is just what you are used to and comfortable with.

As far as my page is concerned, it is not available right now.  My ISP changed its domain and I haven't had a chance to upload it to the new site.  If you want to read what I have written, go to this site here.  Go to the section that deals with the F6F and my entire write up is available there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask when you see me in the main or here and I will be happy to help.

-math

Offline Hogboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 10:14:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips. :D   The Hellcat is a very sturdy and tough ride and I'd love to be able to fly it properly.