Author Topic: Invisible Enemy  (Read 471 times)

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Invisible Enemy
« on: March 23, 2002, 12:31:19 PM »
This has happened a few times, mainly whilst I`m flying Goonies or Bombers.
I am constantly changing views, viewing map, watching, looking.
I see no sign of enemy Aircraft.. I do not relax, I continue to look/scan for fighters using F3 to have a really good look around.
Nothing..No enemy either showing as red dots on my Map, or anywhere in sight.
Suddenly I am shot down by a short range burst of fire from an enemy (I hope) Fighter.. OK, Good for him (Your name is in my little black book)
Can someone tell me how this is done??? I would love to do this to others..How did he/she get so close without being seen??
Is it my fault..??  If it is my fault, what am I doing wrong ??
I think thats about it.
Cheers

AV8

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 09:08:20 PM »
Ground vehicles can surprize you somtimes.  The like to hide out and ambush the unweary and the unknowing

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 02:23:37 AM »
Originally posted by Mino
Ground vehicles can surprize you somtimes.  The like to hide out and ambush the unweary and the unknowing
... and they don't show up on radar/bar dar....  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2002, 09:31:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies..:)

I`ll watch out for the Ack Ack.  However, I`m pretty certain it wasn`t AA that chewed me up.. It was a burst from Machine gun/Cannon.  If the amount of tracer I saw was anything to go by(The 1st burst was high and to the right) The 2nd burst was on target.  So, unless the AA is flying in groups of 3 or 4 :D . I am still convinced he was invisible...!!!

Cheers

AV8

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2002, 09:28:24 PM »
Not AA....

I meant Ground Vehicles, which also have tracers.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 09:03:48 AM »
Are you rolling over?  Always check below you too...  Straight up is another frequently missed view.  If it happens when shortly after take off, it could be a M16 or FP... Or it might be me doing what I call a sniper mission...

I fly NOE way behind enemy lines and nab unsuspecting pile-its as they go gear up.... Is fun.  Especially when they give you the WTF on channle 1.  Is exhilirating, especially when they figure it out and bring three or four of their buddies to kill yas.

Lil story.... My favorite on was when I was NOE and saw a friendly about 5K straight over my head get jumped on a killed by about 5 190s... was ugly.  I was within 500' of the ground so they wouldn't get an icon on me.  He'd got some good hits on one though, and it went RTB.  The other four proceeded to my field so I fell in on the lone 190s low 6.  As we were approaching his field I saw another plane roll towards us... A 109.  I got just in ICON range and decided now-or-never so I zoomed up for the 190.  I could only imagine that the 109 was screeming check 6, because when I got to 1K the 190 starts waggling his wings - gloating over the kill he had just got :p  . I opened up about D300 and got the satisfying fireball by D100....  Was a truly great ride... and yes I got the 109 too... :D  then disappeared back NOE and stealthily got away... Try it sometime... just not on me.;)

Another suggestion.... turn your film on if it happens frequently.   Then watch and see where the baddies got you from.  Just 'cause you didn't see them didn't mean they were invisible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2002, 09:33:41 AM by BigMax »

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 03:38:07 PM »
Mino and BigMax thx for your replies......

BigMax.  Can you confirm that under 500feet AGL. There is NO radar return on your aircraft?? If thats the case, that is how I was downed..

p.s. What`s NOE ??
Cheers

AV8

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2002, 03:58:05 PM »
Originally posted by AV8
Can you confirm that under 500feet AGL. There is NO radar return on your aircraft?? If thats the case, that is how I was downed..
I thought it was 300 feet, but it could be 500... either way, icons disappear from an enemy plane when they get below radar height, although they are still visible on friendlies.  I have been caught out a few times that way when defending a field in an Ostwind... I am constantly looking around checking all views, including straight up.... but it's the plane coming towards me under radar I occasionally fail to see, due to the lack of icon.  Of course, sometimes the opposite is true - I see an enemy plane coming towards me just before it drops under radar and give it a nice surprise as it comes into range!  :)

p.s. What`s NOE ??
NOE=Nap Of the Earth - that is following the lie of the land, hugging the ground - under radar!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2002, 04:09:59 PM »
Thanks Flossy..  :)

I didn`t know that rule applied in AH.  It did in AW.. lol

All my Gooney flights are below 3/500ft from now on.....

Is there a mimimum height for dropping Drunks/Supplies???

Cheers

AV8

Offline geistx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingwhirlpoolofsuck.org
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2002, 04:16:18 PM »
Isn't it 800-1000 feet?

Offline AV8

• Zinc Member
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2002, 04:27:58 PM »
geistx I don`t know :D

Thats why I`m asking:rolleyes:

Cheers

AV8

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2002, 06:14:12 PM »
Originally posted by geistx
Isn't it 800-1000 feet?
Yep it is.... just watch the height of the ground though - I once dropped troops at a field that was at 0 feet - but the town was up on a hill, so the troops all died!  I had deliberately checked the height of the field on the way there, but didn't think about the town being higher...  :o
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Invisible Enemy
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2002, 08:31:58 PM »
I just land and drive up to the door.... Otherwise I have to clean puke out of my passenger area...;)