Author Topic: Strato fights  (Read 152 times)

Offline VWE001

• Copper Member
Strato fights
« on: March 25, 2002, 08:28:06 AM »
On Friday I took off from a capped base in a Zeke with 75% fuel load. Right off the deck I got an La-7 during an HO then proceeded to climb. I was going to level off at about 10k and just circle my base and wait. But when I got up there was a 109 at about 14k heading towards me. I continued to climb and stay on the inside of this 109 whom would close to about 2k and a little above me then roll over and come down at me in the verticle. Each time I was able to stay on the outside of his angle. As we got higher the Zeke got better, now my understanding of that aircraft is its strong points are down low and the higher you go the better your oponent should be. This 109 made 3 passes at me and we were at 24k when another 109 joined up with the first. The second 109 made a level turn into me trying an HO, but his timing was off and he was a little high. I continued in my climbing circle when numer 1 made his 4th pass from above. This time I was able to spit S and then follow him into his climb. I was able to get within 600 of him as before the closest I got was 1.4 so seeing as this may be my best I took the shot and held down the trigger for about 4 sec. I saw part of the tail come off and then he stalled, I watched as his plane entered a spin and after about 4 turns one wing came off. The second 109 was now below me and would not engage. I was almost out of gas so I cut the throttle and dove for the deck, I landed before I ran out.
 I was able to out fly what should have run circles around me at that altitude. I have never taken a Zeke above 15k and I've only been up there a couple of times chasing buffs. Has anyone else found the Zeke at levels above 20k to be as sweet a ride as I have found?  :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Strato fights
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 08:31:44 AM »
I fly the Zeke all the time and didn't know in would get over 3K.

:)

eskimo

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Strato fights
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 08:43:09 AM »
Saw a similar occurance last night.

Was in my P-51D at about 29K after being AFK. When I get back, I see an A6M off my 6 nearing 500 yards.

I leveled off and started to pull away from him. Once I got to about 3.5K, I figured I would turn back into him and easily outfly him.

To my suprize, the A6M was able to turn inside me twice and then still have enough energy to manuever back onto my six.

Figuring a fluke, I extened again and this time got to about 5K before going back for him. Again, the A6M out turned my P-51.

I went into a dive after a spit, and the A6M stayed right with me, never getting further back than 1.5. at 20K I pulled back up figuring to leave the A6M lower so I could go back on him from above. Again, the A6M stayed with me and we ended up at CO-E states again.

The A6M pilot (Damned Felix) and I had a friendly conversation about it, as did a few other people in the arena (Whels and lazzer)

Eventually, the A6M ran low on gas and went home. I was very frustrated that I could not get an advantage on him at 25K, where the P-51D is supposed to shine.

I found it odd that an A6M would be able to maintain enough speed and manuverability at such a high altitude as to prevent a P-51 from getting a position advantage.

All things were check on my P-51 during the flight. Flaps up, gear up, full RPMs, full MAN pressure, centered trims, no externals.

I consider myself a fairly decent P-51 pilot and know how to manage my E state pretty well. Strange is all I can say.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2002, 08:46:06 AM by Midnight »

Offline VWE001

• Copper Member
Strato fights
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 08:58:08 AM »
Well good to hear some conformation, it wasn't me just dreamin.:)  At low alt the airframe on the Zeke starts to moan and groan when you hit 400mph in a dive but up in the thin air it never made a squeek no matter how fast I went. And the amount of fuel you can carry makes it's range a true "bladder buster". I don't know how high the Zeke will go but I'll find out today. I really hate to get shot down on the deck by a Zeke, but I cannot imagine the frustration to get knocked down by one way up there! :D  The pickings should be good up there because I'm sure it will attract attention like a 262 does when its on the deck.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Strato fights
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 10:55:25 AM »

As you can see, the A6M5b's speed peaks at 20,000ft.  Its climb rate doesn't suffer too horribly until above 15,000ft.

I've fought a 30,000ft in it before.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Strato fights
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2002, 11:25:58 AM »
Well this does not only happen to the P51 I've fought Spitfires in the Ta152 , at 38k, and La7s could still be able to turn and climb with little or no regard though in acceleration really diminishes up there in those planes but I do too find it amazing that where these planes are supposed to shine don't do so.

Why? I don't know.