Author Topic: Waving a teeny little British flag...  (Read 468 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Waving a teeny little British flag...
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2002, 07:05:55 PM »
Damn Urchin.. u got 2600 perkies?

chit.. I ain't NEVER had more than a 1000.. and I got a lot less than that now.

henh.

Now i feel like the guy with the short stick in the locker room -> shower que.

Not a novel feeling i guess... but damn! 2600 perkies! Henh... figures i guess; I can't save any money either. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2002, 07:05:58 PM »
Was waiting for this post.  I agree with Urchin that the Mk XIV is NOT worth 60 perks.  The AC is nowhere near comparable to the F4U4 and forget about the Tempest.  Both are far better AC and far more survivable in the MA.  I took up a 109G6 earlier today... killed me a Spit14... took up a Spit14, killed me a 51 and got nailed by a Typhoon.  Now - I wasnt looking behind me - was RTB - so its basically my fault - but I proceed to exit the fight everyone was in while the Typh was still about 4.5 back from me with only about 1.5K of alt.  Anyway - point is - he caught me and I wasnt exactly low E.  The SpitXIV should not be perked any amount over 15 because it simply isnt that great of an AC.  Granted its 30K+ stats are great - but how many of us ever fly that hi?  It doesnt turn great, doesnt yaw great, doesnt roll great, guns arent great, fuel isnt great, and it doesnt really have any speed advatage over say a Yak or La5FN below 10K.  The AC is simply not survivable in the MA - it just feels too... sluggish - I cant comment on the modeling because obviously Ive never flown one - but I think the SpitIX is actually a better performer all around and Im sure any decent G10, D9, or 51 stick would make short work of it... La7 is a forgone conclusion.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2002, 07:29:03 PM »
tempest f4u4 and spitxiv are all too expensive perkwise.

temp should be 30

f4u4 25

spitXIV 20
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2002, 07:46:06 PM »
Urchin: Around 1,000 Spit XIVs were made. While that is not a whole ton of planes for WW2, it is a pretty substantial production run. If you were aiming to perk it that high because it is rare, I don't think it is rare enough to justify a perk of that magnitude.

Refresh my memory for me... roughly how many FW-190-D9's were produced?

How many perkies to fly a D9?

Is anyone still suffering from the delusion that "rare" has anything to do with perking?

Just a thought.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2002, 07:56:30 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
Not a novel feeling i guess... but damn! 2600 perkies! Henh... figures i guess; I can't save any money either. ;)

Damn, you all belong in the perk poor house.  I've got 8,800 perk points, and before that my Calamari account had over 3,000.

Wish I could cash 'em in for money.  :D

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2002, 08:08:28 PM »
Toad, nobody has ever told me why HTC perks planes they way they perk them.  As far as I can figure, there can be only 3 reasons.  

1.  The plane was rare in real life (Ta152, for example)

2.  The plane just outperforms every other plane to an  overwhelming extent (Me262, Tempest)

3.  The plane sees to much usage in the MA (F4U-1c).

Then you have planes that just don't seem to meet the criteria, in my opinion.  The Spitfire XIV and F4U-4 are perked planes that are way to expensive, in my opinion.  Neither one offers such a drastic improvement over the P-51, La7, 190D9, or 109G10 to justify a perking based on #2.  Again, this is just my opinion.

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2002, 08:16:12 PM »
IMHO I think HT perks the planes that are overpowering (ALOT) in any type of fight (guns, speed, et)

F4u1C=8 perks (good enough for me)
F4u4=60 perks (to much mabye 45?)
TA152=60? perks (to much, not many people at all use this plane mabye 35?)
262=200 perks (to much, n00bs like to use it and they when they die they back to 0, mabye 150?)
SPIT14=60 perks (good enough for me becuase i dont use it)

From what i remmber the F4u1c was used ALOT becuase of its 20mm (back in the day when it was unperked) so HT perked it becuase people used it to much.

The spit14 should be perked to MABYE 45 but that would mean (i would hope) that you would take the cost from the F4u4 down and the TA152 (IMHO i think people would fly them more if they didnt cost that much). 262 is fine with me because i dont fly that much either (im afraid of disco and such :\) But if they take the spit14 and make it cost less then do it with the F4u4 and TA152........IMHO

peace

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2002, 08:23:50 PM »
Wish I could cash 'em in for money.

mebbe we can get HTC to do a beer fer perkies swap at the con.

then you can buy us ALL beers.. many, MANY beers.. there would be much rejoycing, great acclimations made by all your patrons touting the skill and daring employed to amass such great quantities and we'd all be happy as hell with the perk system.

Thank you.. thank you...
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2002, 08:24:13 PM »
"go ahead, can ANYONE come up with a REALLY good reason for only flying a particular plane in a fantasy game with so many to choose from? And I mean a reason that wouldn't make you sound like a blathering idoit to someone who doesn't play Aces High?"

Because I like it.  And I don't like the other ones.  

Now can YOU come up with a good reason for me to constantly spend my time online (which is bought at $15/month mind you) flying some POS that I don't like?  Didn't think so.

J_A_B

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2002, 08:37:17 PM »
J_A_B,

That was not Urchin's point.  His point was that people who only fly Luftwaffe, or RAF or P-51Ds or F4Us are not really being logical, but who cares.  Urchin is in that group, as are you (I'm guessing, I seem to recall you are a P-51D guy) and I.

He was pointing out that if you happen to be an RAF guy your options are very limited in the late war category, where the German and USAAF have a wide selection. 60 and 70 perks puts these things out of reach for most of us.  I will not be flying the XIV in the MA.  I do hope to use it in the CT on ocassion.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2002, 09:15:12 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Toad, nobody has ever told me why HTC perks planes they way they perk them.  As far as I can figure, there can be only 3 reasons.  

1.  The plane was rare in real life (Ta152, for example)

Well, if you truly believe this may be a reason, the D9 was more "rare" in real life than the Spitfire XIV.

And yet the D9 is totally unperked.

So, why even mention production numbers in your first post? It's a red herring and, IMO, simply detracts from the debate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2002, 09:36:35 PM »
I could agree light perk on 190d9 and 109g10.
Also la7, spit 14 and p51d should have light perk too IMO.

Now that we have more early war planes this would be ok.
We would see more pre 1944 planes in air.

Or maybe it's time for RPS in future.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2002, 09:54:50 PM »
Ill just say one thing :)

In CT before long you will see it at much nearer the perk value you would like to see urchin. Me262s are 200 in MA and around 25 in CT when its in there.

Who knows maybe a late war match up is in order in the DT?

SPITXIV , 190D9 , P51D , P47D30 , TEMPEST , ME262 setup anyone? :)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2002, 10:00:30 PM »
I'm not sure exactly who I was respond to Karnak, but you're correct that it wasn't Urchin.   I was responding to whoever wrote the part I quoted in there  :)

J_A_B

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2002, 11:08:50 PM »
Well, if you truly believe this may be a reason, the D9 was more "rare" in real life than the Spitfire XIV.

HT said (from reading a post some one said something about this) that he perks planes becuase he wants to even everything out in the MA. Not how many planes were made and such (he might put that into play too IM not sure) I just wanted to say that