Author Topic: F4U-4 overperked, and a couple of other whines  (Read 142 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
F4U-4 overperked, and a couple of other whines
« on: March 29, 2002, 05:38:00 AM »
Gorgonzola and Camembert recommended as you read this.

The F4U-4 is way overperked. I mean, 60pp! That’s far too much. I don’t think it performs appreciably better than the P51D, which isn’t perked at all. I don’t think it performs that much better than the other Corsairs as to be worth 60pp. Don’t get me wrong – I love all the USN planes, and operating off carriers is my favourite kind of mission. But I think that the -1C and -1D turn better, and the 1C has better armament. The –4 has the .50 cals like the
1D, so why it should be perked at all is a mystery. But if it should be a perk plane, I don’t think it should cost more than 20pp, or else the P51D should also be perked. The Corsairs are dangerous planes to fly with the somewhat restricted 6-view, especially as many players have not yet figured out how to give 6-calls (Geez, don’t get me started!)

Speaking of 6-calls, why can’t we have the same feature that they have on the dark side? Point your mouse cursor at the plane to which you wish to send a 6-call alert, and right click the mouse!  Simple. All to often in AH, I have to fumble for the ‘ key and end up pressing something else, or I’ll send an alert to the wrong plane.

RT in AH needs brushing up!  “Roger” does not mean “Yes”. If you want to answer a Yes/No question in the affirmative, the correct RT response is “Affirm”, not “Roger”, which means “I have received and understood your last transmission”. (The classic is, of course, “Roger, over and out”, which would translate to ”I have received and understood your last message, I have received and understood your last message and await a response and I have received and understood your last message and do not expect a response”!)

Killshooter crap!  I was trying to clear a guy's 6 last night, I was getting hits on the bogie, but some of my ammo flew past the bogie and hit the friendly, resulting in the destruction of my own plane. I realise that we must be discouraged from firing on friendlies, but why not just have damage to friendlies nulled out? By that I mean that hitting a friendly has no effect, other than to waste your own ammo. The concept of shooting your own plane is lost on me - can anyone explain the history behind it?

Happy Easter!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2002, 06:42:19 AM by beet1e »

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Re: F4U-4 overperked, and a couple of other whines
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 06:08:57 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Speaking of 6-calls, why can’t we have the same feature that they have on the dark side? Point your mouse cursor at the plane to which you wish to send a 6-call alert, and right click the mouse!  Simple. All to often in AH, I have to fumble for the ‘ key and end up pressing something else, or I’ll send an alert to the wrong plane.

You are a mutant or something? Since jusging by this rewuest/whine I would asume that you have 3 or more hands... Im happy with the 6 call as it is because I have it mapped on my joystick (which I hold with 1 of my hands) and the 2nd (and also the last) hand I have over heyboard numblock because I use it for views... (yes im dweeb and also a poor one who has not enuff money to buy me a throttle quadrant controller so I fly just with stick and keyboard :( ) so making it your way would mean that I would have to either let my joystick go and take mouse - which would make me dead straight flying target or I would have to try to take the mouse with the other hand and I would lose my SA since I would not be able to use views... I have just 2 hands and so the solution you are presenting here would be a dratic drawback. And also today we have this AH Voice thingy incorporated so you can just shout the warning over range channel which also works...

Just my $0.02

Happy easter... ;)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 06:45:42 AM »
MbirdCZ. Your setup sounds fine, if that's how you like it. I wasn't suggesting that the existing method of giving a 6-call should be scrapped; I suggest that my method be implemented in addition to the existing one. I have a twisty stick, so at the moment I use my left hand for the keyboard. Admittedly, your method is better suited to the one-handed typists :D

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 08:29:39 AM »
Sure I have twister-stick too... ALthough Im not very happy with it I dont heve funds to get pedals... And I need left hand over the keyboard for views because the only hat i have on my stick I use for trimming the plane's vator and airleons...

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 11:06:44 AM »
I've only flown the -4 in the CT...it's easily the best prop plane in the game (IMO) the tempest is pretty close and the 4 x 20mm is obviously much better. But the -4 is a better E fighter. The difference between it and a d pony is huge...for the pony to win it would need to engage with E and alt...or have a better pilot. The Hog will easily out climb the D pony once they are co-e. In the MA SA has become the primary edge....pilot ability is important but diminished. Once your in deep the planes performance isnt really an issue...the spit V and 205 and 109(G2) are all outstanding MA planes even though the performance is mediocre at best.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2002, 11:55:21 AM »
Every F4U-4 I met while in my Tempie was anihilated! :D So its not better than Tempest thats for sure...

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2002, 12:18:10 PM »
hmm bird u havnt meet me in a fu4-4 :) (hehe next squadtraining we test out that :) )
but agree its not worth 60 perkies.
Personally the perk system seems strange here, but guess thats just me.

airguard