Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 527 times)

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
A suggestion
« on: March 29, 2002, 02:57:31 PM »
Last night I logged on and went to the MA. It was night, which I hate, so I headed over to the CT. To my surprise, it was also night there. I know that typically the arena is supposed to cycle from dawn to dusk and right back to dawn again, but this experience gave me an idea. I don't much like low light conditions at all (under cloud cover is barely tolerable), so if it is possible, how about setting the sun to be directly overhead 24/7? I for one cannot imagine anyone visiting the CT and saying, "Darn, I was hoping it would be night/dusk/dawn. Off to the MA."  I think most people who visit the CT are interested in the plane matchups, and the best fights are the ones where people can play on an even footing.  Enabling arena conditions that allow players to exploit video settings and enjoy advantages that others players do not have is not conducive to this.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
A suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 03:00:20 PM »
Well it depends on the set up Erl but most of the time in the CT their is no real Night...

Offline kidcol

• Zinc Member
A suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 03:50:02 PM »
after suffering many night periods in MA & CT I posted something about night in CT too. It was met with response both ways, so I finally decided to go back to my slightly smaller, brain-irradiating old monitor (which was much brighter). This is not a viable solution for a lot of guys, so I see where yer coming from. Sticking with my original thought that dawn/dusk/night-whatever you want to call it is not really needed in CT.

kid

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
A suggestion
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 04:23:16 PM »
you guys wait till you see tunisia at sunset!

truelly i have never seen such a beutiful landscape and colour!

I too dislike the dim light conditions but its generally because the ground texture is very dark.However in the desert sands of tunisia it will be a lot easier to pick out moving dots or planes! :)

I agree that on some maps(most ive seen) dawn/dusk/night is not needed.but it really is a great effect and it IS more realistic which is what the CT is supposed to be after all.The LW attacked in the early hours and during the night for the very reason that they were harder to spot and this effect, although frustrating sometimes is a possible tool to be used for planned raids.

Perhaps for special one night a week only we could have it put in for those that want it? say a wednesday around the time 'wild wednesday' is on?

a special night bombing map with lots of strat targets?
Perhaps even massive cities?
with huge lancaster raids or ju88 raids?
I wonder if people would like to try it out?

I dont really know but I must say broad daylight is a joy for fighting in :D hehe

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
A suggestion
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 04:24:48 PM »
samething happened to me erl......

get rid of sun up sun down to theres no need for it.........

the worse part of night is the sun up sun down if anything go str8 to black :)

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
A suggestion
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2002, 06:01:13 PM »
brady, I'm not speaking just of actual night, but also the dawn/dusk conditions too. For me, that stuff is just orange and annoying. I guess it makes for good screenshots. I understand that operations were carried out at all sorts of time during actual fighting in WWII, but I don't think that the CT is aiming to recreate those - that's what TOD and scenarios are for.