Author Topic: R/C Planes in the US: Where to?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
R/C Planes in the US: Where to?
« on: March 31, 2002, 10:04:39 PM »
Just out of curiousity... where do you folks buy your RC planes? Anyone know where to get WW2 R/C planes? :) URLS?

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2002, 10:18:04 PM »
Ahh,must be spring time..:)

Check out http://www.towerhobbies.com

Click "Airplanes",browse to "RC Planes" and check em out!...See 51/91 engine size range)..:)

I would recommend Pica kits or Top Flight Gold kits..I have had good experience with them..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2002, 10:20:50 PM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 11:25:54 PM »
hehe.

What a mess, you actually have to build the damn things?

I thought they came pre-built. Like in a whole kit and stuff.. most of them say they require the engines, cement, the radio controller.. LOL.

My uncle is an aviation die hard and wants to buy one, he might get me a trainer for free if I help him get his. Its good he dont know english *wicked grin*.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 11:34:48 PM »
How much experience do you have?

http://www.hobbybarn.com has Marutaka kits, which are the best, but you have to know how to fly and fly well. Precise scale.

Indy R/C is a good place to look for custom gear. If, you can find any MK kits (Masahiro Kato) they are made with the first choice of balsa from South America (exclusive trade option). I only know of two WWII kits, and neither was a P-38.

If, you're made of money and have experiece with building, then Byron Originals. Take a vacation to the Byron Kingdom this summer. WOW! The Pearl Harbor reenactment is worth packing the camcorder for.

Sig has a Mustang, but it's a plastic fuselage and foam wing. It's a great flier, though.

Top Flite kits are probably the easiest to get into, both from a cost perspective, and from flying aspects.

Unless Bud Nosen kits have improved, they have nice giant scale plans, but the wood sucks.

Frank Tiano used to have some pretty good offerings. You might know his nephew? Tom Cruise? :)

Larry Jolly has many custom aircraft bare-bones kits. L.J. does all the R/C work for Hollywood. That was his Zero that exploded in "Final Countdown" and he did work for "Baa Baa Blacksheep," as well as the airliner for the movie reenactment of the flight that lost the top section on the way to Hawaii (forgot the flight number). Nearly everything he has done is available in a bare-bone. Airwolf too, but I doubt you want a Heli.

Stay away from Greg Namey's kits, plans, and anything else he has to offer.

ARF's? I don't ARF.

Good luck, have fun, and when you're ready to dogfight, let me know. ;)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2002, 07:21:33 AM »
Look online at Tower, there are others as well.
Go with a simple kit, pre-builts are availabe too.
Stick with a trainer for your first one.
Scale planes are way more expensive, harder to build and to fly.
Consider a glider if you have good updraft hills nearby.
You can get a decent glider going for $130 - $200.

eskimo

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2002, 07:30:48 AM »
Tac does your uncle know how to fly RC? If not he needs to get a trainer or hell stuff a fighter on the flight... :)
'
As for ARFs (mostly prebuilt and covered models) well they are pretty damn good these days. Cmon Voss admit it's no longer 1990 with stupid plastic turtledeck foamboard covererd junk ARFs, with ugly schemes to boot. Nowadays they are mostly pretty decent and some are outright excellent.

If you want a warbird ARF Tac yull have to still get an engine and radio plus a couple extra servos but most of the buliding has been done. Two good manufacturers are The World Models and OK Models EZ line. They both have some pretty decent ARF warbird mosels. THE OK EZ P51 and Zero look particulary nice.

However if you or your uncle havent learned to fly allready then get a trainer and learn on that, it will save you hundreds of dollars from your destroyed fighter. :)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2002, 11:11:19 AM »
Well, Grun, it's not just a prejudice against ARF's. I got into the hobby for the pleasure of building as well as flying. I just love it when I build a plane that flies absolutely straight with no trim changes right off the board!

Not knowing what's under the skin sometimes irritates me, too. The biggest complaint I have about ARF's, though, is we are building a generation of fliers that don't know how to build. Not a problem for them I realize, but it's still a loss and a shame.

I was just working on a new biplane (Goshawk) when my next door neighbor came over to inspect my work. This plane is just a little .45 powered aircraft, but is a functional scale construction. He took one look at it and thought he could twist it into a ball. So, he stepped up to my workbench and grabbed the firewall in one hand, and the tail in the other (I have not mounted fin or stab yet). Though, he gave it all his might, it didn't twist at all.

Try that with your foam-board ARF.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2002, 11:28:00 AM »
I have no experience with R/C planes. Neither does he. But he doesnt want an ugly looking trainer, and since he's a retired commercial pilot, he's got enough to burn on his toys ;)

Ill look into those pre-built trainers.. they do come with the whole kaboodle right? remote control and stuff?

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2002, 01:01:04 PM »
Yeah, Tac, Tower is setup to seil you everything in one easy-to-go startup. They'll set you up.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2002, 04:09:48 PM »
Tac.. unless yer GOD, you will crash.

In fact, I fly with a GOD.. he crashes on occasion too. The dumbthumb fuk up get us all eventually..

Had a guy that flew commercial, military, helis' the whole deal show up at the R/C field to fly his new Mustang. We took bets not on IF he could complete one flight, but WHEN on that first flight he was gonna auger it. 37 seconds in, it was rekitted. I made 70 bucks on the pool.

:D

Suggestion.. join AMA, hook up with the local club, get in the clubs training program. You'll get a far more rewarding time for your money.. and your first plane will last ALOT longer.

Your second plane will then become very special... mine was.. of course.. a Bud Nosen P51.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2002, 05:30:06 PM »
Sound advice, Hang.

For those cold winter months you might want to check out http://www.realfflight.com (keeps your thumbs lubed).