Author Topic: MK 108 lehtality  (Read 1763 times)

Audie

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2000, 04:02:00 AM »
On the no-UDP issue.. what's the implications then for someone like me using an ISP who sends UDP on land/sealine because of it's perceived 'timing' necessities yet sends http/tcpip usually via satellite?

------------------
Audie VF-17 The Jolly Rogers 8X
-audi-

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2000, 07:14:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me how do those "pings" to see how many packets are lost?...thks in advance.

------------------
Ram, out

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2000, 07:15:00 AM »
and BTW I only manage my card to appear editing the link after the posting...if not the results are the avobe ones...any help plz?

combat23

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »
I guess alot depends on where you hit the target but I have read several times that the Germans estimated that on AVERAGE only THREE 30mm rounds hitting a B17 would knock it down. Wonder how many it takes for a fighter?  

see ya on line

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »
I dunno fats,

I went head to head for fun with a 109g10 ace in the training arena last week.  Whenever he fired and hit me, I died.  No two ways about that.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Karaya One

MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
Hi Fats:

I have been using the 30mm quite a bit. I found 1-2 flashes on target are enough to score.

K1

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2000, 07:41:00 PM »
Fats;

Try this in your testing.  Shoot a friendly cooperating with you.  You will die, but get instant feedback of your hits on their plane via killshooter.

Good Luck!  

Mino

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2000, 08:42:00 PM »

On the no-UDP issue.. what's the implications then for someone like me using an ISP who sends UDP on land/sealine because of it's perceived 'timing' necessities yet sends http/tcpip usually via satellite

Audie, the implications are such:

UDP is a non-acknowledged protocol.  It means the recipient is not going to acknowledge receiving the packet.  This can result in lost packets since the packet will not be resent by the sender if the packet is lost in transit.

TCP on the other hand is an acknowledged protocol which means that if the recipient does not respond with an acknowledgement that it received the packet, it will be resent after a timeout period by the sender.  Packets cannot be lost using TCP.

These are the only two protocols that are supported by a TCP/IP network.  Think of UDP as regular snail mail and TCP as a registered letter.  If hit packets were UDP, its very possible that actual hits never get recorded on the target.  Since they are being sent via TCP, they will eventually be recorded...it just may take a couple of resends.

Regardless of whether you connect to the net through land lines, satellites, fiber, tin cans and string or whatever, a TCP/IP connection will support UDP and TCP.  

-Ding

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2000, 12:06:00 AM »
RAM
 You can download a program like visualroute or there is a link to a free one floating around this board, but for now you can go to a dos prompt and type ping or tracert hitechcreations.com A good traceroute program gives you a detailed look at whats going on but this will work in a pinch.

Offline fats

• Copper Member
MK 108 lehtality
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Heh, some 'late' replies. After re-evaluating the 30mm I got the results I expected, correlating with karaya one's observations: everything goes down with 1 or 2 hits.

//fats
p.s. yeah maybe I'll open my account one of these days too, when I am not too tired to use the computer at home for more than 15 mins.