Author Topic: Combat theater a failure because....  (Read 148 times)

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
Combat theater a failure because....
« on: April 08, 2002, 07:57:21 PM »
Im not going to waste my 30-60 min online in an arena with only 10 people....and neither is anyone else.  Its a chicken egg thing, Id love to play CT, but it needs to be popular for it to be popular....maybe a suden unexplained MA collaps :D

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 10:04:54 AM »
2Late4U hits the nail on the head.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 10:47:07 AM »
Well....I had really great times with as low as 10 people online in CT.

I don't think CT is a failure at all. Noone in his right mind would think on CT being as populated as MA. Nobody. CT is a minority arena (note: not elitist, just minority).  There is not such a big amount of people who wants the different settings prevailing at CT. Still, it's a blow of fresh air for the ones, like me, who like the short icons, "historical" planeset matchup, etc. All besides CT ambience. ;)

OTOH, CT seems to get low numbers whenever IJN-IJA/USAF-USN planeset is used. I've played quite extensively there, and I like it more than MA. On my personal experience, I think Japanese planeset is too demanding. Maybe if Japanese planeset had a Ki-84, but with current planeset, IJN-IJA has basically nothing to do against US iron. And it's not *that* fun being in the receiving end. Even on a Zeke  ;)

Just my $0'02

Pepe

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 10:52:00 AM »
I love the CT.

eskimo

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 11:00:31 AM »
The CT with 10 or even all by myself is usually preferable to the GaNgBaNgInG, VuLcHiNg, KiLl StEaLiNg main arena crowd. I find "0" immersion in flying a spit vs mustang, 109 vs 190, or zeke vs frank. Or zeke vs 110, for that matter.  The CT rEwLs!

GronK

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 12:51:14 PM »
5 on each side in CT is more enjoyable than 100+ players for each of the 3 countries in MA - anytime, anyday, any planeset.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2002, 01:08:13 PM »
The CT is far from being a failure, by its very existance its a success. I don't understand why people have to talk it down, if you don't like the CT its very simple don't fly there don't talk it down, its historical setup is a refreshing change from the main arena and some of its less than realistic settings.

I don't fly there as often as I should but the arena was a definate hit with my squad and I'm glad we finally have an option. Population and numbers mean nothing, some of the best flights I have had have been in the CT arena including one very recently where there was only 10 in the arena but had an absolute blast hunting JU-88's in a Hurricane Mk I. Even though WB is well established its own historical arena is not as well populated as their MA but it has a strong following.

When reading topics comparing WB to AH quite a few people have said the lack of a historical setup or CT style arena has stopped them trying AH as well as the myth that the S3 events are still the best events available but they are equalled by the AH TOD events and for that both the CT and CM staff deserve a pat on the back.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2002, 01:25:12 PM »
The great irony of the CT...

Most of the things people site as qualities in the CT are brought on by the fact that there are not many people flying there.  As soon as more people show up... its the MA all over again.

AKDejaVu

Offline Honch

• Copper Member
      • http://www.wesayni.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2002, 01:40:54 PM »
I agree with eskimo, the CT is great . . . I don't fly there regularly but when the MA is particulaly annoying, the CT is a wonderful refuge.  

The historical matchups, the new maps, and the low numbers are always a beautiful change of pace.  And... having only 10 people in there at a time even adds to the appeal for me.

As long as its not 9 vs 1

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2002, 02:16:48 PM »
Originally posted by hblair
2Late4U hits the nail on the head.

Agree completely

I've played in there a few times for a change of pace.  Few players, and the map I played on most recently was spawing error messages all over my chat buffer  :(  Kinda annoying

Many people have made a lot of suggestions for that room.  With a zillion ideas, its hard to appease everyone.

If its going to be a Historical Room, I wish it would be named that.

I'd love a Realism Theater, but that's just me  ;)  No killshooter, no bar dar...just relying on VOX, Recon and CAP patrols.