Author Topic: Stupid Rook Tricks  (Read 683 times)

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2002, 03:14:40 AM »
Widewing,

From my point of view, one (if not the main) reason this happens is because we do not have anyone who wants to build missions. I can understand frustration when somebody does, and nobody shows up, but I think everything is easier when mission builder is used. I still miss Zigrat's missions.

I really like missions, coordinated flights, and that kind of stuff. Give a shout on Ch1. I will help even as a decoy. I'm one of the most profficient targets in MA   :D

Oh! and I'm with you on the La7 issue. It's THE monster down low.

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2002, 04:21:19 AM »
Pepe, the problem is not in building up missions, the problem is being able to "sell" the mission to the rest of the players. The procedure is as follows:

1 - You edit a mission that is useful for the actual arena status.
2 - You annouce the mission
3 - You wait, and wait
4 - You annouce the mission over and over again
5 - One or two players join your mission
6 - The three continues calling people for the mission
7 - Some ones as for more time to join, so you end adding more and more time to the mission
8 - After 20 mins you get six or seven players, but at this time the mission target has gone.

You see some good coordinated missions in other countries, but when you get there and start shooting down the cons you find out that these are really squad oriented missions done by overpopulated squads. Out of squad level it is very difficult to organize missions, and squad level missions where you are three or four have little or no effect against the enemy.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2002, 07:28:08 AM »
Just wanted to say, I was personally responsible for the debacle, and it felt good. :D

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2002, 07:46:00 AM »
"Just logged off after repeated becoming aggrevated with lack of Rook organization at A10 and at A9. What do we have here? Have all the Sunday drivers decided to fly AH today? "

Where were you when 6 to 8 of us closed 9, 10 and p14 and captured them in about 2 hours?

Where were you when we shut down a11 and a15?

where were you when our CV was engaged with their CV in a hit and run slugfest (just off shore at 10) that lasted 45 min?

I admitt that Rooks are not always the most organized, but when we are we do quite well.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2002, 08:25:15 AM »
you got a long way to go to sell me on "organization".   I can think of nothing less fun than overwhelming an enemy bass and fighting for the scraps or... being overwhelmed by an organized enemy..   Really takes the fun out of the game.   I certainly don't want to hear all the drivel on the "room" channel.

Organization by defenition is the total lack of fun and fair fights.  I fly with a few squaddies.  We go where there are some fights.  If the field is swarming with "timid" ack huggers (a product of both organization and fields being to far apart) then we will work the edges or I will drag a few of the brave souls out to be slaughtered.   If our field is being hit by "organized" gangbangers then we will go somewhere else.   If we squelch the room and don't look at channel one too much we do okay.
lazs

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2002, 08:29:02 AM »
I just think if you're going to throw a hissy fit because people won't play your way, you should at least include photos of yourself lying on the ground kicking and screaming.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2002, 09:12:14 AM »
Originally posted by Krusher
"Just logged off after repeated becoming aggrevated with lack of Rook organization at A10 and at A9. What do we have here? Have all the Sunday drivers decided to fly AH today? "

Where were you when 6 to 8 of us closed 9, 10 and p14 and captured them in about 2 hours?

Where were you when we shut down a11 and a15?

where were you when our CV was engaged with their CV in a hit and run slugfest (just off shore at 10) that lasted 45 min?

I admitt that Rooks are not always the most organized, but when we are we do quite well.

Like I said, I logged off when I became fed up with uncoordinated clusterf*ck that developed at 10 finally broke down, and prospects at 9 were no more promising. I refuse to get aggravated, so I log off.

I was there when the two fleets clashed. I asked several times via the message buffer that the person commanding the fleet turn it around and drive it right through the Bish fleet. You can't win a fight with one's back to the enemy. Fortunately, that is exactly what the fleet commander did. The net result was that the Bish fleet was completely destroyed with minimal loss to ours. After my Seafire was gangbanged over 10, I manned a 5" dual mount on the CV and blasted the enemy CV, contributing to its destruction. I then sunk 3 destroyers, and shot down 4 Bish aircraft. That does not include the three I got in my Seafire. So, I was doing more than my share, thank you very much.

If I'm in the fight you can count on two things: I will protect my teammates at all cost, and I will kill a truckload of the enemy. Ask anyone who was at 24 and 25 last evening how I contribute to the effort. No one within visual range gets bounced without getting a warning from me, even if I can't intercept the attacker. More often than not, I get the con, either on the way in or just after. Last night we had raid after raid come in from 29. I met every one of them and there were few survivors after my teammates and I slammed into them. I personally killed four bombers, ten fighters and picked up nine assists, in exchange for one, out of ammo, SpitV.

If there's one thing my fellow Rooks can absolutely bank on, it's this: I will never abandon a teammate. I will never ignore pleas for help. I will do everything possible to help them. All I ask in return is that my teammates watch my tail in return.

I cannot over-praise the guys who flew at 25 last night. Fester, Mathman, Cali, Kat, HtHide and Zulu9244, just to name a few. We were usually outnumbered 2 to 1 or worse. Yet, we beat off the Knits time after time, inflicting huge losses, suffering far fewer in return. It was a pleasure to fly with those guys. I covered them, and they covered me. It doesn't get any better than this.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2002, 09:25:58 AM »
Rooks and organization?  I don’t know who or if anyone was running anything organized on Saturday night but it appeared to me they had there act together for at least 4/5 hours.

It was on the Baltic terrain with them coming through the north.  I saw them pull of a separate and divide tactic that was great.  They came in through the middle and pinched off two north bases.  It was time for me to log anyway but I imagine those bases fell pretty quickly.  When I logged on later that night they had us pushed to HQ.

They really didn’t hold that significant of numbers advantage either.  I think it all depends on the time and who’s online.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2002, 10:03:26 AM »
"I cannot over-praise the guys who flew at 25 last night. Fester, Mathman, Cali, Kat, HtHide and Zulu9244, just to name a few. We were usually outnumbered 2 to 1 or worse. Yet, we beat off the Knits time after time, inflicting huge losses, suffering far fewer in return. It was a pleasure to fly with those guys. I covered them, and they covered me. It doesn't get any better than this. "

I flew in festers 262 raid.. that was pretty cool :)

Offline Kuben

• Zinc Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2002, 06:40:02 PM »
Widewing, I was there the morning you speak of and Rooks played like an army of morons.  For over an hour I watched one unorganized piecemeal attack on A10 fail after another, then without warning A9 was taken right under our noses!  I was amazed!
It took the Rooks 3 hours to get A9 back then A10 as well, this was sometime in the early afternoon when I started to recognize more and more quality players.

Here's the deal - Weekend morning Rooks suck.  Period.

Is that harsh?  Maybe but it's the truth.  I have watched the Rooks lose bases, concentrate on nothing, defend nothing, not give 6 calls, not respond at all when given a 6 call, attack piecemeal and generally stink up the MA for months and months of weekend morning sessions.  I think it's because all the good players are trying to kill that hangover or finish their "honey-do" lists like I probably should be.  :)

I have learned to play the CT or practice my panzer driving skills and wait for squaddies to show up.

Kuben

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2002, 06:44:23 PM »
Widewing, I was there the morning you speak of and Rooks played like an army of morons. For over an hour I watched one unorganized piecemeal attack on A10 fail after another, then without warning A9 was taken right under our noses! I was amazed!

The only question that is relevant is, "Did those players have fun?"

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2002, 07:06:23 PM »
The MA is pure chaos. There is no organization to it, and there's no way you could ever organize it.

Either join a squad and fly with them, or rely on yourself to get the job done. Very few friendlies, except the experienced ones, are worth any frustration over what they're doing. I just ignore their icons and throw them 6 calls if they need it. Otherwise, I don't take notice to them.

As far as the La7 thing, that too is all relative. I managed a 23 kill streak before I died in it back in Tour 14 when it first came out.... then in Tour 23 I had a 38 kill streak in a 190A8 before I died.

A craftsman isn't good because he has good tools, he's good because he knows how to use those tools well.

Throw a neophyte joystick jockey into a La7, and I'll bet he'll only manage 1 kill with 24 deaths.
-SW

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2002, 08:48:05 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
A craftsman isn't good because he has good tools, he's good because he knows how to use those tools well.

Thank God, I was blessed with both knowledge and a great big tool :D

Offline jagjeff

• Zinc Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2002, 09:45:31 PM »
Hey widewing quit yer whinin and go play ww2ol.I have watched you make fun of newbies tryin to learn the game and watched you fly, and personally I think you are a legend in your own mind.if you dont like the rooks there are two other sides you can play on.Heres a little hint,the bish and nits suck at strategy also but everyone seems to have fun except for a few whiners like yourself.Play the damn game your way and dont expect anyone else to play it like you do.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2002, 10:12:36 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
you got a long way to go to sell me on "organization".   I can think of nothing less fun than overwhelming an enemy bass and fighting for the scraps or... being overwhelmed by an organized enemy..   Really takes the fun out of the game.   I certainly don't want to hear all the drivel on the "room" channel.

Organization by defenition is the total lack of fun and fair fights.  I fly with a few squaddies.  We go where there are some fights.  If the field is swarming with "timid" ack huggers (a product of both organization and fields being to far apart) then we will work the edges or I will drag a few of the brave souls out to be slaughtered.   If our field is being hit by "organized" gangbangers then we will go somewhere else.   If we squelch the room and don't look at channel one too much we do okay.
lazs

Laz, everyone knows your attitude towards organization... you don't have to like it, you really don't even have to comment on it anymore.  So, good for you, now ... go kill sumfing and spend your money how YOU want to.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann