Author Topic: Can We Do Somthing About The N1K-2 J?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Can We Do Somthing About The N1K-2 J?
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2002, 04:50:33 PM »
Actually... let's just look at the initial post in this thread and ask if there is any other aircraft that would have creamed that combination of planes?

As an F6F-5 pilot... I would have loved to stumble across that horde.

How is the fact that it was an N1K2 any more or less significant?

AKDejaVu

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2002, 05:06:16 PM »
Originally posted by Vruth

This plane is the Porsche of cars - that being said any idiot can look good in a porsche.  A race car driver in a porsche is lethal and that is proven by GTR and other expert NIK drivers.

Do you have an idea what your talking about?  Anyone half familiar with racing "Ass engined Nazi slot cars" or even racing in general conceedes that the 911 in all its incarnations is the most difficult car to race/drive... however it is also the most rewarding if done properly.  A Viper or Corvette can be considered an N1k - a Porsche 911 is a thing of beauty and driving one to its full potential is about as difficult as turnfighting  a Zeke in a P47D-30 at 150 IAS.

Offline Vruth

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2002, 05:22:40 PM »
WHAT? When is the last time you've driven a Porsche Saurdaukar?  My friend's boxter is as easy to drive as a Chevette.  

The NIK-2J is a amazing fighting machine. As a P-51 driver, nothing pleases me more than poofing the dweebs. But often I get lured in by sharks in these newbie planes with lethal results.

DejaVu, know what the difference between the NIK and a F6F is? The F6F has 6 50 cals and the NIK has 4x20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannons.  Imagine how lethal the F6F would be if it had Hispano's? :eek:

V

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2002, 05:26:24 PM »
If it had 4 it'd probably be roughly 10 times more lethal, and it would be easily the most used plane in the game.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2002, 05:31:58 PM »
I've not had any fighter in my sites take a sustained .50 cal burst and live.  That group of planes would have been candy for 1/2 of the arena.  It has nothing to do with the N1K2 armament... and everything to do with the fact that its the MA and late/mid war rides are going to encounter early war rides.

Really... what late war ride would have had trouble in a situation where 4 early war planes were preoccupied with 4 other early war planes?  Name one.

Hell.. name one mid war ride that would have had trouble there.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2002, 05:49:41 PM »
Shortly after 1.09 was released, I upped in a 109F-4. I flew at low alt with a full fuel load and found myself face to face with about 5 109Es and a handful of other planes.

Atleast 3 of the 109Es engaged me, after a series of loops and dives towards the ground (remember, we were basically co-alt), I had forced 2 of them to auger into the mountain side and was now in a very slow climb almost stalling. Both 109Es were within firing range, but their engines didn't produce enough power to keep up with my climb.

Both 109E4s bit the dust at the hand of a 109F4 with no gondolas.

It matters not what plane you engage in certain planes, the pilot matters.

Last tour the N1K2-J had 9.01% of the kills in the arena. While the P51D had 9.43% of the arenas kills. So you Runstang pilots better watch what you ask for.

-SW

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2002, 05:59:11 PM »
WHAT? When is the last time you've driven a Porsche Saurdaukar?  My friend's boxter is as easy to drive as a Chevette.  
V

Actually I've been a Porsche owner for the better part of 5 years now.  The Boxster is a fine car, but it is not a 911 - the handeling characteristics are completely different.  A Boxter is a mid engine, transaxle auto - very easy to drive aggressively (even easier to drive are the 924/944/968 Porsche's as they are front engine, rear transmission - this achieves a better weight distribution than even the Boxster by keeping all the weight on the ends as opposed to the middle) - a 911 is rear engine, rear transmission auto.  This translates into viscious trailing throttle oversteer and very very touchy corner in braking.  In laymans terms - if you are driving the car at its limits (hopefully on a track) lifting the throttle too quickly at turn in - even without touching the brake will result in you looking at the cars that were behind you - this time through your windshield.  If you are familiar with SCCA/PCA/GT racing then you know when a Viper or similar front engine, front transmission car loses control he simply skids off the track and hopefully makes a safe stop before a wall - a 911 will turn completely around and nine times out of ten stay on the track - the rear is very unstable (Thats why racing 911's have almost comical wings on the rear - to try and keep maximum downforce where it is needed most)  I have spun numerous 911's and have enough experience in those built between the mid 70's and late 80's to know they are NOT easy to drive.  The 996's are a slightly differnt story, as the Turbo's have all wheel drive and PSM (Porsche Stability Management) and the Carrera is the best liquid cooled 911 yet.  However - no one races the new Turbos because all wheel drive is a disadvantage for sprint races (<1 hour) and PSM is always turned off - it is a detriment to very serious drivers who want to drive the car as opposed to the car driving them.  (PSM is kind of at odds with Porsche's draw anyway - most buy the cars because they enjoy complete control over a challenging vehicle.)  Anyone who hops into a pre 996 (911, 930, 964, 993) expecting to rule the road with minimal effort will usually learn his lesson by payment of check (I have avioded this so far, knock knock)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2002, 06:08:47 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
"Ass engined Nazi slot cars"

Copyright P.J. O'Rourke :)

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Vruth

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2002, 06:42:07 PM »
<*b*>

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2002, 11:34:14 PM »

DejaVu - it's not the stats that makes the NIK such an annoying bird, it's the fact that it should be perked.  It's an amazing fighting machine, more so than the P-51D, Spit IX, or the Dora.

Show me one solid shred of 'fact' that shows the Niki should be perked?  If you're going to perk the Niki, might as well perk every plane in the game.  This 'mystique' of the Niki is just that, it's not an uber-plane and is very easy to shoot down if you are smart and use good tactics.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2002, 02:28:52 AM »
Very good sikboy.  =)

Offline wulfie14

• Zinc Member
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2002, 06:12:30 AM »
Dead on about the non 4WD 911 series cars.

My Dad did alot of amateur racing. He was very frugal except for cars. Back in the late '80s he had one of the only real deal 930 Ruf in the Northern half of CA. (and back then this was a very, very hot car comparitively speaking).

So my Dad, when I got my license on my 16th BDay, gave me one of 2 gifts...

1. Pay my car insurance for 1 year.
2. Take me to high performance driving school in the 930 , specifically so I would learn 'rear engine handling 101' in the rear engine car I was most likely to need it in. I would not be allowed to drive the 930 if I didn't choose this option.

...well you can guess what I took. 8)

Now this was by far the most $$$ my Ps had ever, ever spent on my for a present - by a factor of 10 or more. So I was kind of puzzled. On the way to the school I asked my Dad 'why' and without any fanfare he replied 'You'll be dead before the year was up if you dont take this course and you drive this car'.

But to show you how wise he really is - I rarely got to drive the thing unless it was on a track, and never alone. 8)

"Nothing is more dangerous than a little knolwedge", right? 8)

Mike/wulfie14

p.s. I thought I read somewhere that HTC uses perk points to modify arena presence of a given aircraft. In this context I'd say don't perk the N1K-2 J.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2002, 05:15:03 PM »
930 RUF.... drooooooooooollllllllllllllll llllllll.... I was a step away from purchasing a BEAUTIFUL red 86 930 a couple years back - no RUF, but man that thing sang.  Nothing like a flat six starting up - the perfect mix of exhaust note, fans, and belts.  =)  Then of course you get it out on the road and put the pedal down... nothing happens... wait 1.. 2 seconds, tach runs past 3500 RPM and a whine starts to build from behind you - WHOOSH!!  Youre off care of Porsches magical single KKK27 Turbocharger.  =)