Author Topic: Tunisia This Friday!  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2002, 10:57:52 AM »
brady
Its a beautifle map. An interesting historical period.
But why include AC that where not there? Especialy later AC then were there? Especially all in favour of one side? It is the nature of a bias that you do not feel it.  Ask yourself this.
The 190D9 was not in theater either. It is an upengined fw190a5 basically. Like the Pony B is an upengined A36 apache. What could it hurt to have the D9 in some out of the way Axis field?
the same is true of the 109G10..what could it hurt?
Now do that and listen to the whining.
Then remove the PonyB and the 38L and listen to the whining.
While you are at it. Add the 110g to fill in for the hs129 and the Ju87d while we are at it. ....
Now remove the Mossi..
Did the germans get the M16 in the CT? Not sure but I doubt it. Yet they obviosly had legions of mg and light cannon armed half tracks.

If you took all these decisions that do not appear to matter to you and made them instead in the favour of the axis. Does it feel fair to you? Could you imagine the uproar.
So dont tell me it doesnt matter. The overwheming nature of the concesions granted the Allies screams loud and clear that it does matter. Else why do it.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2002, 02:49:00 PM »
S!

At the altitudes which most battles are being fought in this arena, (1000-5000 ft) the best plane is the 190A5.   It has one of the best climbs of any aircraft, (the G2 may be a little better) deadly guns, great roll rate, excellent instantaneous turn rate, and quite a decent sustained turn rate with WEP.  Plus it is much faster than anything except the P-38L and P-51b.

Used in pairs, the 190 is basically unbeatable.

And no one seems to be flying the two U.S. planes much.

Personally I think the P-51 should be eliminated, but the P-38L isn`t imbalancing enough to be a problem.  It may climb better than the P-38F, but turnrate is probably worse.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2002, 03:05:05 PM »
Pongo, unless I missed somthing( I may have I am not infalable:) ), I beleave I already answed all you point's already.

Pongo why don't come in to the CT and fly it for an evening as the Axis, who it apears you think I slighted, and then let me know what you think.:)

It is one thing to look at that list and ponder the possabalities and queit another to actualy fly in the CT.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2002, 04:36:36 PM »
the current setup favors the LW. Not only is the 190A5 the factor that buzz points out, whoever owns what fields comes into play as well.  Currently the p-51 and the P-38 are not a factor simply because of where they are enabled. It was wise to do that. Enable the pony and the lightening to draw those fans however they have to pay for it with online game time reaching the fight. It has made them vitually unseen most of the time I was in there.

This is a fun setup even so.  I have enjoyed most of the time I had in there immensely.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2002, 05:17:59 PM »
Surprisingly i was SE on the map and encountered a Pony, Given the map is small 128x128 flying from the NW fields ( where they are enabled) probably didn't take that long.

I've played both sides and have my bellybutton handed to me evenly. I think Bradys5 did a great job balancing the planeset. Emitting the Large Buffs from this map was at my request ( and my only request) I felt the med bombers were quite sufficient for this small map ( althou the size of the map would curtail the larger buffs from gaining alot of ALT. I Haven't heard one complaint as to them not being enabled on this map.  Could Tunisia use later war plans? Sure, I think the CT team is trying to have FUN first then so sort of "historical " set second. It's all about FUN people and that is exactly what I am having in the CT.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by -ammo-
the current setup favors the LW. Not only is the 190A5 the factor that buzz points out, whoever owns what fields comes into play as well.  Currently the p-51 and the P-38 are not a factor simply because of where they are enabled. It was wise to do that. Enable the pony and the lightening to draw those fans however they have to pay for it with online game time reaching the fight. It has made them vitually unseen most of the time I was in there.

This is a fun setup even so.  I have enjoyed most of the time I had in there immensely.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2002, 06:04:17 PM »
Admitedly, the absense of allied heavies is a huge consesion in the game in favour of the axis.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2002, 06:49:00 PM »
you know bradys5 belonged to a lw squad most of his time in ah. In another sim he was also in a lw squad. Why you think he would be biased is rediculous.

In the past 3 tours in the ct pongo has flown less the 6 hours. In the last 2 months (going bac to bob until now) he has 16 min in the ct.

How are you going to tell folks that fly there whats unbalancing?

I appreciate your points but if you read what brady has said and what the folks who fly there have said you will see that it is very balanced and quite fun.

The only thing that can happen to make the match ups 100% correct is to get more planes modeled. Absent that the ct staff are working with what they have. Its been proven that the less choices of planes the smaller numbers you have in the ct.

I enjoy the ct spit 5s are fun to fight. A lot of fun.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2002, 08:41:38 PM »
And I fly mostly allied.
Your point is? I dont have to be a LW fan for life to see that some of those substitutions are un neccessary and silly.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2002, 08:58:19 PM »
Gee whiz, can this be so complicated?

Fly in the arena. Fly both sides. Fly all the planes. Test it out. I'm pretty sure you can be untouchable if you fly your ride correctly, and you can die like a worthless dog if don't.

But mostly, fly it and see if it is fun.

We've already been told the arena was designed as much with balance in mind as history, so relax. That's a pretty harsh measuring stick you're using.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2002, 10:16:16 PM »
I care dont what you fly.

my point is you dont fly in the ct so any statement you make is completely irrelevant.

I thought I was pretty clear :rolleyes:

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2002, 08:57:24 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
I thought I was pretty clear :rolleyes:

You were...  Here Wotan... give him this.  

Should that fail...  ;)

----------------------

Sorry, but I really don't see what your beef is here Pongo.  The Spit Vs seem to hold their own very nicely (at least against me ;)), the arena numbers don't get overly lopsided (a tribute to the people flying) and one side doesn't roll across the map on a nightly basis (a tribute to the designer and arena managers).  Has it even been reset yet?? :confused:

What more do you want??  Purely historical matchups??  Until HT's crew develops EVERY plane we are never going to truly have that are we?  So why not simply enjoy the closest thing that can be offered.

The P38s and ponys don't bother me (I think I've seen three total)... I just shoot them in the face and make them fly those same two sectors to the fighting again :D
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2002, 09:28:53 AM »
I guess it does make sense to add Allied aircraft to the mix that where not even in production at the time of the battle. I just took a while to see it. I guess it does make sense to give the axis ostwind to the allies but not the allied m16 to the axis.
The truth is that it doenst make sense from a play ballence perspecitive or from a historical perspective.

But it apperently is fun. Have fun with it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2002, 10:44:31 AM by Pongo »

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2002, 10:37:02 AM »
Take a hard look at the planeset, I think it is lopsided, the allies clearly have the advantage.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Pongo
wow. look at the dweebs roll out.
So what I fly is irrelivent. how is what brady flys relevent then?
A few of the plane selections and vehicle selections are silly. If pointing that out is a crime..
GUILTY
lol
I really would dearly love to hear the noise if the opposite selections were made...

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2002, 11:40:27 AM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
Take a hard look at the planeset, I think it is lopsided, the allies clearly have the advantage.

FWIW, I haven't yet had a chance to fly for the Allies.  Whenever I log in, I pick the side with the lower numbers.  That's uniformly been Axis.

Not that I'm complaining.  For one thing, I'm finding out that it is possible to kill Spitfires, which I never really believed before.  For another, it gives me a chance to practice with the 202 (NOT that I've been killing any spits in the 202, mind you).

As others have mentioned, the perk planes aren't flying when I am.  Haven't seen a 38 yet (in fact, I didn't know they were enabled), and only one P-51.  

I can't see how anyone who's actually flown for an hour or so in this setup can complain that it isn't a roaring good time.

- Oldman

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Tunisia This Friday!
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2002, 11:51:11 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
But it apperently is fun. Have fun with it.

As it was intended... not historical to the plane but fun.  

Frankly, I get tired of going against the exact model of aircraft I'm flying in the MA.  I'm pretty sure I won't find that occuring in the CT unless I'm in GVs and that is a concession of not enough options.  Now... if I can just figure out how to really beat a Spit V one on one  :p
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012