Author Topic: Voice BlahBlahbling  (Read 538 times)

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2002, 02:37:13 PM »
Not to get off topic or piss too many people off, but the official language of Air Traffic Control centers worldwide is English.  Granted, if you're a Spanish pilot flying around Spain, a lot of time ATC will talk to you in Spanish, but every ATC controller has to know how to speak and understand English.  Seems only fitting that in a flight sim, people are expected to understand it.

Just my $.02

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2002, 03:58:58 PM »
Maybe we can have English listening tods on saturday, instead of silly airplane fighting:p
Ok joking, but the problem is that poor quality of AH voice is not helping who is trying to understand other languages; more, sure ,  ATC comm  is in English language, but they follow standard language rules;in AH voice everyone speaks freely, saying things the way they came in his mind without any fixed rule, and this makes things more difficult for little or partial english speakers.
Last you are commonly using the term "english", but for a person who uses english as a second language there are more than one "english"; I mean sometimes when I hear a UK person or a Texan person or  an Australian one, talking the same "english language" , they sound like more than one  languageat my ears.
We are here to improve our english too, anyway:)
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2002, 04:30:47 PM »
you guys make a good point!  most Americans don't follow standard rules.   We have so many dialects, accents, etc.
This must really be difficult becuase American English is already the most difficult language to learn.. add in all that and wow.

I totally apprecite those that try to speak english.  When I'm in a different country I try my best to speak their language.

It's the trying that counts IMO.

I don't mean to sound like someone that demands everyone learn english.. not the point at all.  Just that this is an English speaking game (text) and written, designed, run by English speaking people (HTC).

We all have to have common ground to communicate.  In this game it's a given that it's English.  That's my point.  Nuttin' else!

I for one speak (broken) French and Spanish.. can't write it though and I sure can't communicate clearly online using it...

The only other viable option is to have everyone, everywhere, speak every language... not too practical.

------

edit..

I have to say that I totally understand the indecipherable speech on AHV.  We had an Austrailian squaddie and whenever he spoke I was totatlly lost as to what he said.. I always asked him to 'say again'..    
and we both spoke English.. our own versions that is.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2002, 04:41:30 PM by Wlfgng »

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2002, 02:04:07 PM »
Originally posted by mjolnir
Not to get off topic or piss too many people off, but the official language of Air Traffic Control centers worldwide is English.  Granted, if you're a Spanish pilot flying around Spain, a lot of time ATC will talk to you in Spanish, but every ATC controller has to know how to speak and understand English.  Seems only fitting that in a flight sim, people are expected to understand it.

Just my $.02

Does anyone have a recording at hand as an example how they're taking? I am sure their taking doesn't sound like anything I've heard online so far.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2002, 01:58:14 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
this topic always cracks me up.

It's like having non-english speaking people serving me at 7-11.
This is AMERICA where the language is ENGLISH.
this is an American game.. look at the webpage, the helpfiles, etc..

man we were talking about you with MbirdCZ and you are lucky that you do not understand our language, because if you could, you would be pissed off
:p

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2002, 02:01:11 PM »
This must really be difficult becuase American English is already the most difficult language to learn.. add in all that and wow.

wow does any else think that   American English  is most difficult language to learn ???? :rolleyes:

Wlfgng well ... rest of your ideas doesnt sound so bad ;)

What about    Playername.VAR
var could be 3 chars long, set able by player
may be unified shortcuts to avoid things sutch UK,GB ..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2002, 02:07:43 PM by Eaglecz »

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2002, 02:45:02 PM »
We have so many dialects, accents, etc.

I've always heard that Finnish is one of the world toughest language to learn. Heck, I don't know all the cases (there should be something like 31 different (?) named something like "possessiivisuffiksi" ROFLOL!!) of our language and I hated finnish language in school! For example:

I went - Mina menin
You went - Sina menit
He went - Han meni
We went - Me menimme
You went - Te menitte
They went - He menivat
Notice how those words bends, uhoh :)

Also I've heard that German language is quite difficult too, dunno.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2002, 03:37:56 PM »
German to me has more rigid rules than English. In English, as soon as you learn a rule you learn several exceptions to it. This is a result of all the cultures that have been incorporated into the Americas.

English is an offshoot of the same language tree as German, FWIW.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2002, 04:12:13 PM »
pote gallego = A chunky stew of local chorizo and morcilla, root vegetable, white beans and tangy greens.The latter is a thinned-down, souplike version of the pote. sounds delicious and leagle

pot = cannibus sativa/indica/ruderalis , good in brownys ( small chocolate bread squares) and decidedly illeagle at least federaly. bout 30% of americans use weekly and americas biggest cash crop.

methinks you mean a different thing by pote than americans mean byt  pot .

"what we have here is a failier to communicate"

i have always wanted to say that :)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2002, 04:13:03 PM »
Originally posted by Vector

For example:

Eng          Finish           Czech           CHN(pin yin)
I went - Mina menin - Ja jsem sel  - Wo shi la
You went - Sina menit - Ty si sel  - Ni shi la
He went - Han meni - On sel  - Ta shi la
We went - Me menimme - My jsme sli -Wo men shi la
You went - Te menitte - Vy jste sli - Ni men shi la
They went - He menivat - Oni sli - Ta men shi la

Notice how those words bends, uhoh :)

Also I've heard that German language is quite difficult too, dunno.

well somebody could add german and jap. and other you know ;)

jin doufam ze jsem nepoplet ty i(y) lol

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2002, 04:57:25 PM »
Are there different dialects of english ?

Anyway english is easy to learn for anyone who's primary language is a germanic or romance language . It's just the spelling that is crazy .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2002, 04:59:46 PM by Samm »

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2002, 05:04:39 PM »
Prehaps hi tech can post a list of common used words in ah in difffrent languges :)( then we can all speak a da lingo

Check 6

Hi con

Dragging

Bing ammo/fuel

Golly-geen "£$%£$% ack just killed me  :)

etc etc :D

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2002, 06:21:50 PM »
Yeah, let's alls peak indo-european on AH Voice.

1) This ain't amurrica. This is an international product marketing by americans and based in the United States.
2) English is as much of an official language in AH as it is the official language of the United States.  That is, most people speak it; it really helps to know it; but nowhere does it say that English is the official language.
3) ATC is standardized.  Many AH pilots who don't speak English terribly well can and do communicate with ATC in English.
4) In general, text is to be preferred over voice messages.  Use range voice only in an emergent situation.  There's nothing worse than a bunch of idjits stepping on your squad comms.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2002, 06:44:10 PM »
Don't forget, you can record your own voice in your own language and put it in the plane folder for a custom "Check Six"- nor reason for HTC to have to bother with it.

As for voice, I tend to agree, it is primarily an English-speaking product from an English-speaking country.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Voice BlahBlahbling
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2002, 06:27:24 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran
As for voice, I tend to agree, it is primarily an English-speaking product from an English-speaking country.

No matter whether it is an english product or not, the fact is that there are a bunch of people unable to understand spoken english using our actual voice comms. My point was to add some kind of info to the icon indicating that no matter how much you speak in english to that player, he is not going to reply nor understand you. So, if you want to tell him something, you better write it in the text buffer. There is a big difference between understanding written english or even spoken english in a no loudly and polluted sound ambient and understanding english modisms with AH voice.