Author Topic: Armored Forces level Rook HQ  (Read 210 times)

Rojo

Armored Forces level Rook HQ
« on: April 20, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »
Last night, the Buccaneers (with some help from CavemanJ, Bloom25 {honorary Buccaneer }, and Kraz killed the Rook HQ twice!  The first time was a conventional heavy bomber attack.  The second time, we spawned a panzer platoon from the occupied vehicle depot south of there. Interestingly enough, we had been trying to capture 44 to get close to the Rook HQ, but discovered that the north spawn pt. from 9 put us closer to it (and north of the HQ, oddly enough).

Anyway, we moved into position about 6,400 yards from the target (beyond it's ack range  ) and fired ranging shots. First one short, second round long, third one dead on. The order "fire for effect" went out over the radio and the concentrated fire of five panzers rained down, reducing the installation to rubble.  BTW, I think something should be done about the ack on top of the buildings, especially the tall towers.  We destroyed both towers, bud the ack was left suspended in mid-air, and able to shoot back.  When the structure is destroyed, the ack on top of it should be too.  Anyway, we moved in and took out the remaining structures and guns. The panzer will absorb an amazing amount of small-calibre gunfire, btw .

The flip side was a disasterous attempt to recreate the feat against the Bishops' HQ.  The previous attack was unhindered by the enemy. When we attempted to "share the lovin'" and attack the Bish's HQ, our armored assualt was chewed up by enemy airpower.  Moral: the tank may be the queen of battle, but airpower is the trump card (sorry to mix metaphors ).  Great fun, and salute to packrat. His P-38 dueled my panzer, which he lost after running out of gas and attempting to ditch into the teeth of my maingun...can you say "brave but foolish?"  I knew you could.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2000, 11:42:00 AM »
Not to better your story, but 3 fellow JG2 flyers in heavy 38's and me in a lone tank killed Rook HQ last week.  I have film, but unfortunatley, in film everything is "up", however you can read the text buffer when I put the final blow into HQ at 50 feet, "HQ Destroyed", was a blast! (Pun intended)

WTG BUCCS!  Making Knights proud once again! <S>

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-20-2000).]

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Not to better your story, but 3 fellow JG2 flyers in heavy 38's and me in a lone tank killed Rook HQ last week.  I have film, but unfortunatley, in film everything is "up", however you can read the text buffer when I put the final blow into HQ at 50 feet, "HQ Destroyed", was a blast! (Pun intended)

Either I'm confused (likely the case) or I'm missing something here.  How did you kill something that takes 20,000lbs of damage with just 3or4 P38's?  If I remember it correctly the HQ takes 15mins to rebuild (assuming the city was not killed first).

What did I miss here?

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
Dunno, I put 25 rds. of AP and 50 rds. of HE, along with (6) 1000 lbers.  I've got film, if you doubt me.  Maybe there was a B17 that had dropped earlier on it? Dunno.

Rojo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
Mox:
Actually, I thought it was 30,000 lbs of bombs to kill HQ.  However, last night, I believe we killed it with massed tank fire alone, i.e. no air-delivered weapons (not trying to out-do you, Ripsnort; your tale is impressive in it's own right {returns <S> )). Which means it can be killed by shellfire alone.  I put about 35 rounds of HE, another 35 or so of AP, and my compatriots put a mess of their own on top of it before Jarbo delivered the killing HE round. So I'm not sure how many rounds it takes to kill it...but kill it we did .

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2000, 12:29:00 PM »
In V.9 something, it took 20-500 lbers or 10-1000 lbers.  So, we  had 60% of what it took to destroy it within the 1000 lbers.  The rest was destroyed  by Tank fire  alone.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 01:18:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Dunno, I put 25 rds. of AP and 50 rds. of HE, along with (6) 1000 lbers.  I've got film, if you doubt me.  Maybe there was a B17 that had dropped earlier on it? Dunno.

Not doubting you Rip, I'm just curious...
The first time I read your post I completely missed the part about you in a tank (that’s what I get for reading this board during a very boring conference call).   When I first read it I thought JUST the 3 P38's did it, that’s why I was sooo confused.

Rip and Rojo,  I would have never guessed that the tank rounds would add up to so much damage.  Good info to know!  

FYI  I've had a really good time fighting with you Knights!  <S!>

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »
Mox, maybe  my text didn't get my message  across, I didn't mean to be stern, just factual that I  do have film.  <S> you too sir!  You are some of AH finest, and when I haphazardly happen to shoot you down, I feel as though I should get a C.M.H. or , in JG2's case, Iron Cross with Diamonds!

<S> your fine organization!