Author Topic: More newbie questions  (Read 358 times)

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
More newbie questions
« on: April 12, 2002, 01:16:42 AM »
Trying to land a plane so that i can fly and land the c47.  Its so important to capturing bases.  

But how do i get my speed down so that i can let out my landing gears.  If i climb to a good 10k and start to approach a landing area and dive down my speed increases to way over 200.  
And then gears will not come out.

So what do i do to decrease my speed.

Next question

Whats a good way to increase speed.  I was flying on a mission with about 15 others.  5 or more were p38-L.  They had a good alt and a good speed cause i fell behind them.  If i use alt-x and climb my speed stays at about 180 or so.  So how do i get a good speed and alt.

I know diving will increase it and if you level out you keep that speed.  But any one have pointers on speed.

i used the wep a few times but it does not look like it does much on speed increase.  I only get a few more mph on it.  Any ideas here.

Thanks for the help

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
speed & landing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 01:43:24 AM »
First, you can set the speed the plane settles to when pressing alt-x by typing .speed xxx in the text-radio, where xxx is the desired speed.

About landing: I fly fighters, so you'll have to be more careful and take a longer approach... however, I'll descend in a spiral with the throttle all the way back. At about 1000 ft, I'll level out (throttle still at 0) begin a slow turn to align myself with the runway. Once I'm heading in the general direction of the runway, I'll make hard, small turns left and right to bring my speed down till I can lower flaps all the way (I'll push Q a few times in the turns until I hear the flaps dropping). Next out is the gear.

At this point you'll have to increase throttle again, but only to the point where the aircraft descends slowly, with the fuselage parallel to the ground.

Now use throttle to control alt - cutting throttle makes you drop speed, and by pulling on the stick you realign yourself parallel to the ground. Increasing throttle makes you climb.

Now just let the machine drop on the main gear and pull the stick forward/back to push the machine on the small gear (gently at fist, so you don't take off again/crash !), then engage wheel brakes. Pulling all the way back on the stick when slow helps braking to stop on the runway.

Voila, perfect landing.

Also, the Virtual Training Academy has loads of good stuff... check one of xHammerx's posts.

Edit: You don't have to land on a field to capture. Just drop the paratroopers - like you would with bombs - on the levelled city (make sure it's a parking lot at the time).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2002, 01:47:30 AM by devious »

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 02:46:24 AM »
my goodness i did not know about the drop troopers.  Saves me some time there, but landing is important when you want to refuel and things like that.  BTW i just landed my first plane.  Heheh feals good.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 02:47:59 AM »
About droping the troops:

You need drop troops about 1k AGL (Above Ground Level), so at least before you arrive to the drop zone area check from map altitude of the target area.

If there is smoke coming from drop zone area, use smoke upper level as a droping altitude.

You dont need get to the 10k alt during goon drive. It takes too mush time. I fly as low as I can and when I get good visual to town I pull up to the droping alt. Also I try drop goons very tight circle around and above map room.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 02:58:24 AM »
But how do i get my speed down so that i can let out my landing gears. If i climb to a good 10k and start to approach a landing area and dive down my speed increases to way over 200.

there is only one way to do it - approach to land earlier :)
working with rudder can be helpfull here. C47 have pretty big rudder, so by twisting it right/left can reduce your airspeed. Just put your nose down a bit and work on rudder while diving, should help you much :)

Whats a good way to increase speed. I was flying on a mission with about 15 others. 5 or more were p38-L. They had a good alt and a good speed cause i fell behind them. If i use alt-x and climb my speed stays at about 180 or so. So how do i get a good speed and alt.

Trere might be some reasons (you was in p38 as well i asume):
1. planes had different load to yours (for example you might be loaded with bombs - they not, or ther released it)
2. differenf fuel/DT load
if your planes are the same - you can fly very similar speeds

Offline Makofan

• Copper Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2002, 11:09:18 AM »
I'm no expert, but two things I learned from my WBs days that seem to also work here.

Assuming same fuel load, ammo load, plane, etc...  If you are falling behind while climbing, fly level to decrease the horizontal separation, then zoom up a bit.  You are now closer than you were before.  Level off, repeat until you have formed.

Landing a fighter there is an easy trick that Spitfire pilots used to do - I do it all the time now.  Fly into the field approaching the runway as if you were about to land, but don't bother chopping throttle.  Just before the runway, pull a hard right, chop throttle to 0 and do a 360.  3/4 of the way around the circle you drop your gear and flaps, click a bit of up trim,and by then you are all the way around, low, and just above stall speed. Flare and land.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2002, 01:03:58 PM »
Ok Saved,

From an Air Force dude the above posts are good but I have a few more pointers.....

When you approach with any plane on landing like was quoted before you want to get a long straight in if you are just starting out.  Curved paths to final are tough til you get the basics down.

Bottom line is that you want to have your approach and threshold speeds correct.  In AH it doesnt matter all that much but here are some pointers.

To reduce your speed you need to be at a "reasonable" altitude and airspeed for approach.  If you are coming in too hot try some 90 degree turns left and right of approach course with onset of G's.  This bleeds your speed off and still keeps you headed to landing...the 360 mentioned earlier works as well.

While in those turns, attempt to lower your flaps.  Flaps increase drag and lift so that you can maintain a slower approach speed.  Once you are below lets say 160 (my speed C130 Gear can come down at 165 kts) Drop them puppies.  The gear will act as a brake in the air for you.  Maintain your aimpoint...."aka where you want the plane to touch down" by using your throttle...yes throttle.  They joystick should be pushed a bit forward.  As you approach to land ensure your speed doesnt get too slow...i use 120kts roughly but as long as you are maintaining control and not sinking too fast or hearing the gear rip sound you will be in the ball park.

As you approach you will encounter whats commonly referred to as Ground Effect.  It will feel as though your plane will be trying to climb and you want to push the nose down to land....try to refrain from doing this.  Bleed off your power gradually while maintaining a "level" attitude and the aircraft will gradually work its way down to the runway.

Once there, keep your nose pointed down the runway with rudder controls and chop that power off.  Apply brakes.  Resist the temptation to over control the plane with rudders while moving above 50 knots (that is over control....you still use rudders but if you put too much in you will do the infamous AH runway tumble).

There you have it.

On the speed issue....If you had exactally the same aircraft...P38 and you all took off at the same time you will be in the ballpark for distances if you are all using auto climb.  Some guys, myself included use trim to milk extra knots out of the bird.  I doubt all 5 of those fellas were using it but they might have.  Also as number 6 in a formation it is very hard to maintain a tight position if you are maneuvering and they are at max perfomance.  Think of it this way....if you were driving on a road that was perfectly straight and 100 miles long.  The lead car was doing 100 mph MAX speed for all cars.  If you all took off at exactly the same time and drove the same path you would be in perfect formation.  Now, if any one of the trail dudes starts to turn left and right...the others if they follow will also be trying to maintain position on the guy in front.  Now unless they do the synchronized turning thing and call on a radio to initiate the turns at the same time there will be delays.  So as you can see the tail end charlie car will be having to do all those things just to keep the guy in front in position.  Remember max speed it 100.  As a result he will fall behind.

In aircraft the same is true.  The only difference is that you now add the third dimension which is up and down (altitude).  So you can see that with all that going on trail will fall behind eventually unless the maneuvers are all done at the same time.

For a formation when we do it in the AF lead tries to maintain a max airspeed less than what the plane is capable of.  That way the trail elements have power to work with to maintain spacing.

In AH the same applies.  If you just took off with them and are falling way behind perhaps they were using WEP, you had a heavier plane, your gear was down...lol done that, etc.

I hope that helps.  Good posts before....just wanted to add my 2 cents :) .  Remember, there are 100 techniques on landing.  Do the basics first and then try for some more sporty things!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2002, 01:49:35 AM »
thanks for the tips.  I been doing good on getting my speed down since i just turn off my thortle till i get around 200.  Then its just aiming right.  Other than that i have landed once out of 3 or so times trying.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2002, 11:54:59 AM »
WTG Saved!!!

Keep up the work and GOOD LUCK!

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
More newbie questions
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2002, 12:05:10 PM »
Great Post TG12...

Why was I not surprised when I saw it was from you  

:)

BOOT

Offline majic

• Silver Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2002, 01:44:02 PM »
One thing I did at first when trying to land bombers and transports was to use the outside view (F3 -only works on bombers and c47).  Helped me get a feel for what to do.

Offline AlphaTwo

• Zinc Member
More newbie questions
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2002, 11:15:43 PM »
Decreasing speed in a straight line approach... Bank the plane to left or right and full rudder into opposite direction, you should experiment a bit and soon you'll know how far to bank the plane.
In one word (I can't count) Rudder is good to kill speed.

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
More newbie questions
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2002, 03:03:02 AM »
Dropping flaps also helps slowing the plane down and keeping the speed down. It creates a little bit of lift, but can really make the landings more fun.