Author Topic: HO kills and a question about realism  (Read 591 times)

Offline Don

• Silver Member
HO kills and a question about realism
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2002, 09:20:47 AM »
Sikboy:

LOL! Implied is the point I thought this thread was about :)

I'm not denying that HO's were used, I'm merely saying that they weren't a manuever of choice by Real life pilots who wanted to see another day; way too risky. Not everybody enjoyed the game of chicken.
The lack of realism in a game/sim IMO allows for the frequency of Ho's, and probably the rationale for using it; then trying to make out as if it's cool and sound tactics. My point is, it's not but, whatever trips the user's trigger;)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2002, 09:57:19 AM »
I have an interesting note about whether or not the "re-up" factor has a lot to do with HOing in Aces High. During "one life" events I find myself taking MORE HO shots than in the Arena.  I don't actually line up for a Head on attack, but if, during a furball An enemy plane spends any time coming at me Head On, I'll take the shot. In the MA, I might not. My thinking is along these lines "If I've only got one life, I'm not going to give it up without taking this shot" In the MA I'll often not take the shot, and get kilt (by not getting out of the way quick enough) and I'll think "hmmm, shoulda gone ahead and fired through him" Just some anectdotal evidence.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2002, 11:29:31 AM »
Rgr that Sikboy. I had a similar outlook, trying to take the high road and all that :rolleyes:
Well I soon realized that wasn't working, so now if I'm after an nme who turns to me, I get his measure by the move and set up for the HO; happens a lot.  I know if he has cannons the chances are good that I will get damaged or die. I also know that if arena conditions are laggy, my chances may be better that I will hurt him first. Either way there is a rsik with the move, and since it is the way things are in here, I just go with the flow. But there is no way in hell that I am going to agree that it is a sound form of acm; like one of those 'what seperates the men from the boys' moves.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2002, 11:37:51 AM »
You're right Don, a HO is not a sound form of ACM... it's not even ACM... no manuevering in it. Fly straight and shoot.

However, in the pacific it was taught as a way to down planes since American planes were so much more rugged than the Japanese planes (and for the most part outgunned them too)...

It's funny though, the ones arguing about it's soundness or validity or realism still take the head on. I will fly head on at someone if they are coming at me, but I always manuever out of the way. The only time I've died in a head on is when I went for the head on...

Maybe, just maybe, try figuring a way to fly by the head on rather than taking it or coming here to complain about it would make more sense.

You can't force other people to fly "your way" or the way you believe is "historically acceptable" based on the books you've read... the best you can do is fly your way and not their way.
-SW

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2002, 01:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
You're right Don, a HO is not a sound form of ACM... it's not even ACM... no manuevering in it. Fly straight and shoot.

However, in the pacific it was taught as a way to down planes since American planes were so much more rugged than the Japanese planes (and for the most part outgunned them too)...

It's funny though, the ones arguing about it's soundness or validity or realism still take the head on. I will fly head on at someone if they are coming at me, but I always manuever out of the way. The only time I've died in a head on is when I went for the head on...

Maybe, just maybe, try figuring a way to fly by the head on rather than taking it or coming here to complain about it would make more sense.

You can't force other people to fly "your way" or the way you believe is "historically acceptable" based on the books you've read... the best you can do is fly your way and not their way.
-SW

until the HO leath in Ah is reduced to RL levels( which will never happen) HO will be the Quaker cheap kill of choice.

yes HOs happened in RL, but compaired to other kill totals it
rarely killed the other plane. someone posted a story of a
spit and 109 fight, where they made what 6 HO passes both
firing, and in the end the spit pilot had to use ACM and shot from
6 to get the 109.

ive started just laughing and thanking the HO dweebs, they just told me im the better pilot and if they didnt HO shoot id kill them by better skill, which they dont bother to even try to learn.

whels

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2002, 01:38:40 PM »
>>thanking the HO dweebs, they just told me im the better pilot and if they didnt HO shoot id kill them by better skill, which they dont bother to even try to learn. <<

Bingo Whels!

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2002, 02:27:55 PM »
Originally posted by Don
>>thanking the HO dweebs, they just told me im the better pilot and if they didnt HO shoot id kill them by better skill, which they dont bother to even try to learn. <<

Bingo Whels!

ehehe by taking HOs, they already have it in thier head
they have lost every fight before even merging, so its thier
only chance to  win.

whels

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: HO kills and a question about realism
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2002, 02:33:50 PM »
Originally posted by BotaBing

I think the answer is yes, it does. Anyone else have thoughts on the issue, and maybe what could be done to stop it?

Barrel roll as you approach the guy or zero G dive.  Both will avoid the HO and put you in a competitive situation after the merge.

curly

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2002, 03:36:08 PM »
How many HOs do you see in TOD and Scenarios?

I can't really recall anyone going direct for HO in either.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2002, 04:03:48 PM »
HO are not problem now like they were before, when chog was unperked and every idiot flew them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 04:31:34 PM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2002, 09:43:41 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
HO are not problem now like they were before, when chog was unperked and every idiot flew them.

F4U-1C (10 perks)
-4x 20mm Cannon
-800+ rounds of ammunition
-Average acceleration
-Above average top speed
-Above average hi speed performance
-Horrible low speed performance
-Horrible stall characteristics
-Average rate of climb
-Difficult landing

N1k-2J (free)
-4x 20mm Cannon
-800+ rounds of ammunition
-Above average acceleration
-Above average top speed
-Above average high speed performance
-Excellent low speed performance
-Excellent stall characteristics
-Above average rate of climb
-Easy landing

Anyone else notice something out of place with this?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2002, 09:56:17 PM »
Were you here when the chog was not perked?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2002, 10:03:45 PM »
he has no idea about the chog before it was perked.

it was getting over 20% of the kills per tour.

its rate of fire beats the niki hands down. Id rather ho in a spit with 2 x hizookas then a niki.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2002, 11:43:42 PM »
I have headon passes all the time in TOD Midnight.  No big deal, same as MA I have never been forced into a headon.  I will accept them when offer if the mood strikes me, but never has a headon pass hit me when I did not want to take the shot.

The person going for the headon is no more lacking in ACM than the person who either cannot get out of the way or thinks that manuevering begins after a guns cold pass.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2002, 07:49:23 AM »
Maybe it's because the FM allows HO:s? For example in IL-2 the HO is rather difficult as the closure rates are quite high compared to that of AH. Anybody else tried it in IL?

-Charge+

(THE HO dweeb)
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."