Author Topic: Really sad...  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2002, 10:45:01 AM »
I was up in the north at one point and there was a large cloud bank that droped my rates considerable. In the south near field 30 I had smoking framerates.
I have seen a ton of positive feed back for this map. It should remain a classic that we can play again and again. I wish I had been online for that...must have been a hell of a flame fest from the majority of us that love the map and appreciate the effort.
Personaly I love that map. I love the feeling of speed flying low over the desert with the ocean off my wing. The smoke from a raid peeking above the horizon.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2002, 11:08:03 AM »
Don't quit, just slow the pace down some. And certainly don't let ignorant statements cloud your perception of the outstanding work you do.

You know it's good.

You know it works.

You know this is by far the most popular CT map yet.

Recognize some people cannot find a positive way to state an opinion to save their lives, and ignore them. Listen to respectful, constructive criticism, ignore the rest.

The challenge to the rest of us is to defend the volunteers we have left, and to lift them up once in a while. While they may not do the work for the praise, it sure gets tiresome to hear negativity only. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but at least consider the time and effort that went into a project and also consider a way of stating your opinion in a way that will help make the project better. If all the volunteer ever hears is, "this sucks!", they will soon lose interest in volunteering. Nobody wins.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Really sad...
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2002, 11:22:13 AM »
Originally posted by hblair
NUTTZ, if you quit making maps we're all gonna come to Philly and rough you up! We cannot let you quit making maps. I know how it feels to put a lot of work into something and have people tear it down. Just try to wear a smile and soldier on man, the game is much better for it. :)

Hey.  I'm already IN the area, Nuttz.  E-mail me your phone number, so that I may have the distinct pleasure of pointing out to your bride the heroic status her husband has achieved with his Tunisia map.  And also, so that I might remind her that tourists have occasionally complained that the Cistine Chapel's paintings have the wrong shades of blue around the edges.

- oldman

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Really sad...
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2002, 11:40:18 AM »
Oldman:

And also, so that I might remind her that tourists have occasionally complained that the Cistine Chapel's paintings have the wrong shades of blue around the edges.

And my favorite: A person complaining that Shakespear's "Hamlet" was just a bunch of "old sayings."

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Really sad...
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2002, 12:19:07 PM »
Hi Nuttz,

I don't post much, but feel the need to echo the sentiments of the others.  You and the other map makers do a great job and are an integral part of the community here.  That kind of comment made about "whoever made this map must hate AH and it's players" is way off-base and inappropriate.  Even if the person made that comment as a joke (I was not there, so I have no idea), an apology is in order.  And if they don't, just fuhget about em (perma squelch).  There are way too many of us who appreciate and are aware of the hours you and the other mappers spend on your trade.  

That being said, spending quality time is very important in relationships so I'm sure if maps aren't put out anywhere near as frequently as before, everyone will understand (those that have a clue anyways).  Heck, when I read about how long it takes expert modellers to put together a piece like a 1/35 tank or 1/48 aircraft, it may take months!  Their creations come out wonderful, just as the maps do.  I'm sure a majority of this community does not want to see you hang up your virtual brushes.  However, if it must be, then a sincere thank you for your great work and for being a contributor in the community

mauser

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Really sad...
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2002, 12:37:42 PM »
I figure I'll give her a few weeks and flowers.
Tried to tell her one bad apple shouldn't ruin it for all. Me and My wife run our own business, at work I'm in control, at home well thats her domain.

Like I said a few weeks to cool off and flowers and I'll should be back mapmaking.
NUTTZ

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Really sad...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2002, 01:08:21 PM »
So glad to hear we can hope for more great work from you Nuttz!

It is a pity how thoughtless and cruel some people are.   But for each of them there's 50 or more who love your maps!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2002, 01:56:53 PM »
In the meantime Nuttz, you can sketch your comeback map.

I suggest a map with the shape of a fist and 1 finger pointing upward. :)

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
Really sad...
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2002, 02:15:26 PM »
Yea call it the Penninsula map. :D  Tunisia is one of the purtiest maps I've seen in any game. Don't skimp on the flowers bud.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Really sad...
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2002, 03:15:07 PM »
All of the above positive comments go for me as well.
It really is a great map to play on and look at.
No frame rate issues for me anywhere.
And the numbers playing in the CT tells you its easily the most popular scenario in the CT to date.
Go buy LOTS of flowers and try to get wife to read this thread, when she does I am sure she will appreciate that many more people really appreciate your work and a few brain dead idiots can be safely ignored.
OK now we need a postal address for flower deliveries so your wife can appreciate how much we admire your work :)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2002, 03:44:45 PM »
It was most unfortunate the wife happened to glance over just as one of AH's few complete idiots spewed. I hope she'll re-think painting us all with that brush.

I think the map is great along with your others. This one I like especially as it reminds me of my favorite terrain from AW. I almost always ran either the Libya or Egypt terrains with SAC, so flying in CT Tunisia makes me feel like I'm back in our old FT. Frame rates haven't been a problem for me at all and I even turned clutter on! It looks just fabulous and I really appreciate your taking the time to put it out for us. I really hope you don't have to throw in the towel because of a tard or two.

In Philly eh? I'm not far--Wilmington. Ya think you might make it to WW2 days airshow in Reading? Weekend of June7-9. Gonna try and get a bunch of people together for it. We had a great time last year.

Just watch Oldman around your wife--he's an operator!;)

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2002, 04:58:53 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
I was up in the north at one point and there was a large cloud bank that droped my rates considerable. In the south near field 30 I had smoking framerates.
I have seen a ton of positive feed back for this map. It should remain a classic that we can play again and again. I wish I had been online for that...must have been a hell of a flame fest from the majority of us that love the map and appreciate the effort.
Personaly I love that map. I love the feeling of speed flying low over the desert with the ocean off my wing. The smoke from a raid peeking above the horizon.

A couple of things--

First, this MAP is one beautiful piece of woirk. There was obviously alot of thought put into the the field placement as well as the textures.

Second, the guy that said the insulting comments about the terrain and its author, I wouldnt consider him an idiot at all. However if all you had to go on was his statements at that time you might think he is:).  I have an average machine, 1400 MH athlon, 512 MB DDR RAM, Geforce 3. I dont get under 45 fps in those clouds, so I can't relate  to that problem.

Nutz, glad you ar reconsidering.  You are certainly appreciated by more than a few around here.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Really sad...
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2002, 05:18:17 PM »
Was fun flying with you last night ammo...Next time hold those spits down for me so I can hit them.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Really sad...
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2002, 05:48:31 PM »
Basically what everyone else said,

The comment said far more about him/her than you.

It's a sad fact of life now a days NUTTZ,

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, squeak about the acheivements of those that can."

Glad your reconsidering.

TTFN
snafu

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Really sad...
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2002, 05:49:25 PM »
S! Nuttz

I have had a chance to work with quite a few of the mapmakers in AH.

The only guy who can match you is Sundog.   And he`s been doing it a lot longer.

It is true that getting involved in creating goodies for this game eats up the spare time.  I know I got about 2 hours of flying time in the two months when I was designing and helping to stickhandle `Invasion Sicily`.  

In situations like this, when you burn out, then it`s time to take a break.   Come back when you are so inclined.

Your fan club here will be intact...  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 05:52:03 PM by Buzzbait »