Author Topic: Advice Needed on Force Feedback ...  (Read 438 times)

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
Advice Needed on Force Feedback ...
« on: April 21, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
Howdy,

Since my TM PFCS is getting old, I have been thinking about replacing it with a force feedback stick.  I have grown very used to the stiff springs of the PFCS, but have not been able to find another stick that comes even close.  I thought the force feedback might be an alternative.  But, in checking them out, I had some questions I thought this community might be able to answer.  Any testimonial advice would be appreciated.

1. Are force feedback sticks "sloppy" around the middle?  By this, I mean do they have or develop large dead spots around the middle of their axes?

2. How hard is it to "overpower" the force of the force feedback mechanism and render it ineffective?  I'm thinking of pulling hard g's, having the stick generate its resistance, and then me pulling so hard that I "strip it" and wind up with no resistance or jerky resistance.

3. Which force feedback do you prefer?  I like the sound of the Microsoft Sidewinder (I think that is the name -- its the one in all the displays in the store with the buttons to press to "fee" it in action) with optical positioning, but its first name worries me.  Logitech is ugly, but Logitech makes a good mouse.  Testimonials pro and con, welcome.

4. Will I be able to replace the "feel" of my PFCS (stiff springs are wonderful) with a force feedback stick?

Thanks for listening and for any help you can give me!

buhdman, out

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2000, 01:47:00 PM »
I fear that nothing you try is going to have the strong springs of a TM product.

Personally I can't fly em, my arm gives out after a bit.

Sidewinder's in general I love, optically centered is sweet. As to slop around the center, well my old 3d pro is finally developing some after 4 years of beatittodeath use. Nothing that the deadband sliders don't fix though.

Good luck.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
If they were that good, everyone would own one.  I bought one, tried it, took it back.  Those that have  them would have it no other way.  To each his own.

I suggest wherever you buy it, make sure they have a return policy.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2000, 05:07:00 PM »
I own a Logitech FF, and believe me, it has enough strength to rival the TM. It will also work with analog rudders. I personally like it better than the MS sticks.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2000, 09:34:00 PM »
MSFF here, I've owned a few sticks, the Logitech Force Feed being one of them. I prefer the MS stick over it.

The question is, Will HTC model Force Feedback? I saw HT in the arena the other night and asked him about it, he didn't seem very optimistic.  

------------------
hblair,
<===< The ASSASSINS >===>

"Knocking the training wheels off of spitsters for a good long while"

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 04-21-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2000, 09:52:00 PM »
oops, forgot to answer your questions.  

1. Are force feedback sticks "sloppy" around the middle? By this, I mean do they have or develop large dead spots around the middle of their axes?

They can be somewhat sloppy, but so is a real planes stick. With the FF working right, the speed of the plane keeps pressure on the control surfaces, centering the stick; the faster ya go, the stiffer the stick.

2. How hard is it to "overpower" the force of the force feedback mechanism and render it ineffective? I'm thinking of pulling hard g's, having the stick generate its resistance, and then me pulling so hard that I "strip it" and wind up with no resistance or jerky resistance.

This is very adjustable.

3. Which force feedback do you prefer? I like the sound of the Microsoft Sidewinder (I think that is the name -- its the one in all the displays in the store with the buttons to press to "fee" it in action) with optical positioning, but its first name worries me. Logitech is ugly, but Logitech makes a good mouse. Testimonials pro and con, welcome.

Answered this one in my first reply.  

4. Will I be able to replace the "feel" of my PFCS (stiff springs are wonderful) with a force feedback stick?.

I did.

air_spro

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2000, 10:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kieren:
I own a Logitech FF, and believe me, it has enough strength to rival the TM. It will also work with analog rudders. I personally like it better than the MS sticks.

I keep reading about using rudders with that stick . Could you tell me just how it's done ? I know that they use usb or serial port but where does the rudder hook up ?

thanks in advace .  spro

air_rules:Play fair ...Don't worry about points.....Keep a sense of humor.....Drink Jim Beam...and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!
Says it all doesn't it ?

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2000, 10:42:00 PM »
On my logitech stich I ran it into the USB port, and my CH pedals into the game port. Woked very well.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2000, 11:33:00 PM »
My advice, keep the FLCS.

1) Replace the springs
2) Replace the pots
3) Install the F-22 digital chip from Bob Church
4) Be happy

At any rate, Good Luck to You!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2000, 03:29:00 AM »
Very happy with CH FF here but it all is irrelevant cuz there's no FF support in AH .

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
I have another opinion about changing from Thrustmaster F22 Pro. I finally gave up on it with all the pot changes etc, and went with a new USB Saitek combo throttle and stick plus my Thrustmaster pedals.

I can't tell you how much easier it is to keep the nose bounce down with a new USB stick. I strongly recommend USB. It is absolutely rock stable in the calibration. Even though it says you can't, you can use analog rudders with them in here.

I would never go back to the thrustmaster that I loved so much.

I'll be going CH USB force feedback when it's released. I understand you can set the spring tension with a force feedback, but we will see.

By a new stick at a store where you can return it easily and try it out.

Ranger Bob

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2000, 12:46:00 PM »
Thks Kieren, I was wondering if that stick would work with pedals.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2000, 10:28:00 PM »
RangerBob;

Truly amazing, but the FLCS / F-22 Pro is rock steady with the digital chip.  You would think that it is USB by how stable it performs.

BTW any TQS throttles out there for sale, I might be interested?

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

-towd_

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2000, 11:03:00 PM »
the saitek is noe stiff springed . but it is usb and it is 99 bucks. 3months now and now a single glich rudders are a little hard to get used to (they are on the trottle). i sell ms sticks where is work. went thru about 1 per 6 months they started spikin bad at that point. highly sugest the saitek and it is available at best buy ( you can return it up to 30 days later if not satified no restockin fee)