Author Topic: Help with Tactics and lingo "F6"  (Read 327 times)

Offline Fowler

• Zinc Member
Help with Tactics and lingo "F6"
« on: April 17, 2002, 09:12:49 AM »
This info is out of Mathmans guide to the F6,  the guide is great but im lost on a few things he states,

1. "If you put in some rudder, you can make some fast turns and reversals"

I have never used any rudder in a turn, can someone shed some light on how i do this to turn better?

2. "This means that if you see yourself falling into a position where the enemy is getting closer and closer to getting on your 6, you can just roll out of the fight at a higher speed "

What are we meaning when we hear someone say roll out? When i think of a roll i think of pushing my stick left or right with a little bit of rudder and usually i am almost flying in the same path i was before..

3. "When the bandit gets around 800 behind me, I will execute a radical break into him and immediately reverse my roll, drop my nose and turn back into him"

Ok this statement sounds like something i should master, how hard should the initiate break be? Reverse roll means just do a roll and break the other way while diving?

4. "Its fabulous rudder gives you the ability to snap roll"

Snap roll i guess im lost is it just a roll using the rudder?

5. "The F6F can perform rolling scissors with relative ease, the key being to use rudder. "

Scissors, im lost on this one...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 09:21:21 AM by Fowler »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 09:50:21 AM »
Well while I can't speak for mathman I can try to clear up a couple of things for you.

Ideally for a coordinated turn watch the ball.
As you bank left the ball will slip down to the left, stepping on the left rudder lightly will bring the ball back into center. Just takes a bit of practise and you can do it by feel.

As to # 2, and rolling out.

You can get behind a better turning plane if you can use roll. I think the easiest way to see this is if you are nose down. A spit is below you doing a horizontal flat turn. You ROLL keeping him in your forward view as you slide in on his 6.

If you do it right you've got one good chance for a guns solution. What mathman is saying is if you see HIM winning the fight, you can roll yourself back away from the spit and exit.

"how hard should the initiate break be? Reverse roll means just do a roll and break the other way while diving?"

Math says radical, I'd guess he means break your neck if you can. I'm guessing here but I'd say what math is doing is rolling 90 degrees, pulling hard on stick, then reverse roll and pull back into the con forcing the overshoot and putting him on the defensive.

#4 Just what it sounds like, punch in hard rudder and it will snap into a roll. Snap, as in immediately.

#5 Scissors, If you take a ribbon on a stick, wave it back & forth horizontally you'd get a back & forth loop pattern correct?

Now fly that pattern in your plane. Can be used to defend against a faster enemy coming up on your 6.
However, be aware that a smart enemy will chop throttle and ping you every time you cross his nose till you fall apart. Lucky for F6f pilots there arn't that many smart pilots.  :)

There are several web sites that have a lot of good info on ACM such as break turns, scissors, etc.

Offline Fowler

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 10:02:00 AM »
Ok thanks for the help, but on this rolling out stuff you just continue to roll the plane over and over again to the left or right?
so basically just hold the stick left and put the plane upside down right side up, upside down right side up, upside down right side up ect ect... doing this will save you airspeed and turn at the same time? if not what is the point of it?

is that my understanding?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 12:00:44 PM »
as for #1 about using rudder in turns, check this forum for an extesive descussion about rudder use.
basicly, rudder wont "turn" your plane. what it will do, is slow you down fast thus reducing turn radius, plus you get a few angles ahead with the nose for a gun solution (but your flightpath won't match the direction of your nose so this is not "turning", it's "sliding").

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2002, 09:54:04 AM »
I don't know much about the physics of #1, but it's called adverse yaw. If you've ever flown in a real plane, you know that when you just use the stick to turn left, the nose pulls right. So you put a little rudder in to keep the nose going left. Not as noticable in AH since we don't have G effects on ourself while playing a sim.
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI